Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Like many Goons I have a poor diet. I eat out too often and when I do I usually order food that is bad for me and usually eat a portion that is probably twice what it should be. I, unlike other goons, have no excuse as I actually know how to cook food with some level of skill. I went to culinary school straight out of High School and was a cook for a year before I realized that the terrible pay and bad hours weren't worth it to me and I left the restaurant industry forever.

The poor quality knives and equipment I have from that time saw intermittent use in their over 10 years of service and I have treated them terribly. Suffice it to say I also make a much better wage now that I am no longer a cook. I have decided to use a portion of my savings and replace nearly everything I use to cook and eat with.

This inspiration came to me after composing the new stickied thread Cooking with Goons: A Guide to GWS and Cooking. Using my culinary background and the information I have found and compiled for that thread I plan to replace nearly all my kitchen equipment. After I have all new equipment I plan to cook every meal I eat for a week from scratch.

I currently have a job where I get paid full time to do ~15 minutes of work a week from home. The rest of the time I have is free but I have to stay within range of my computer to hear and answer potential incoming calls. Using this massive amount of free time I will complete the following three tasks. I am allowing myself one week per task. This process will begin Thursday, July 17th and end Thursday, August 7th.

1) Clean and organize my neglected apartment and take stock of what can still be used of my culinary equipment. Then with a budget of ~$1000 I will purchase virtually all new kitchen tools and appliances based on information found here in GWS and based on suggestions I receive in this thread.

2) Borrow a DSLR camera and begin to use my new tools to test recipes, refine plating and learn how to properly photograph my food and do the post production for it.

3) Use the knowledge gained in the previous week to produce every meal I eat for a week while never repeating a dish. Everything I eat will be made from scratch. I will include a recipe, photograph and trip report of how the dish turned out. This means if I make a turkey sandwich for lunch I will have baked the bread and made the mayo from scratch. This has limitations. I will not be growing my own vegetables, hunting for my own meat or making my own cheeses or beverages. I may use leftovers as long as the new dish is something completely new. I will cook and document at least two dishes a day be they breakfast, lunch, dinner or desert. Goons in this thread will have some say in what I will eat. One dish a day for the seven days will be a suggestion made by someone posted in this thread. This will not always be based on the popularity amongst goons of the suggestion in case something stupid happens like FYAD invading and flooding votes with gross or overly complicated foods.

Here is a list of the culinary equipment that I know I have and will not be replacing: Electric Stove top and Oven Combination, Refrigerator/Freezer Combo, Microwave, Toaster Oven, Bench Scraper, Colander, One non-stick frying pan, large white dinner plates, large white dinner bowls, small white bowls, can opener, and tongs.

I obviously have other tools and appliances but have either decided to replace it with newer/better/less abused versions or have yet to locate them.

My current Amazon Wish List totals close to $1000. Feel free to give me suggestions alternatives to what I picked or items I may have missed.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

feelz good man posted:

Go to a thrift shop, you could get most of that stuff for like $100 total man. Some things you want to buy new, like good knives, but glass or plastic measuring cups, plastic cutting boards, ladels, sheet pans, etc. can be had for pennies second hand

Good idea. I'll swing by the two thrift stores near me today.

branedotorg posted:

IKEA has some pretty decent cookware and very cheap mixing and storage solutions, at least in Australia

My IKEA unfortunately is a long drive from my house and not worth a trip for just cooking supplies.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've heard those knife sharpener thingies are a bad idea. Better to go with a stone and a steel. I prefer wood cutting boards to plastic because they are more durable. I'm not sure how hot the silicone handle on the cast iron skillet can get but I would want to make sure my skillet can stand up to any temperature my oven gets to. I have a Swiss Rex peeler which I think is better than the Oxo one. $80 for a baking steel is maybe not a great idea especially if you'll already have a skillet. Depending on how much you grate stuff you might be fine just using the food processor and getting rid of the dedicated grater. I don't think a garlic press saves enough time to make it worth it but YMMV. Nobody needs a potato masher if they own an empty bottle of beer or a full one they can drink.

I will see if I can pick up some good wood cutting boards at a thrift shop.

I have used both stone sharpeners and the ones on my wish list. I find the stone sharpeners much harder to use and they are much more expensive. I'm sure I have a steel but that only hones a blade. Anyone have any links to articles on reasons why I really need the more expensive and harder to use sharpening option?

Why do you think the Swiss Rex peeler is better? I have used the peelers like the oxo one before but I am unfamiliar with the style you are recommending.

As far as a baking steel goes I don't feel comfortable baking on a skillet. Especially trying to get a pizza in and out of the oven. The silicone handle on the skillet comes off.

I'm pretty sure I already have a micro-plane somewhere so I can just use the food processor for grating. I had never thought about using a bottle for a potato masher before. I like that idea.

crazyfish posted:

I noticed you have a deep fryer on your wishlist. I would get rid of that; use a pot on the stove and spend the money on a Thermapen instead.

I have another ThermoWorks thermometer in my wishlist. As far as I can tell they are both just as accurate but the ThermoPop takes 6 seconds instead of 3 to get a readout. The thermometer and fryer I have in my wishlist totals $102 and the Thermapen just by itself is $96. Add a frying basket and we are at the same price.

I have an electric stove top and I find heating up and cooling down oil to the right initial temperature is much harder to do accurately and takes too long to readjust the temp. Unlike a gas stove top I can't just crank up the heat after adding in my food to make sure the temp stays up at a good frying temperature. With the fryer the element is directly in the oil making heating it back up easier and I can just program the proper temp in without having to check it constantly with a thermometer and wait forever for both the element and the oil to cool down and heat up.

toplitzin posted:

Also: Get a fuzzy logic rice cooker. they are SUPER multi use devices and great bachelor crock pots.

I did want a rice cooker but it was farther down on my list because I don't seem to have any trouble making it on the stovetop. I had never thought of using it as a crock pot. Any reason why I should get the fuzzy logic brand over the others?

McStabby posted:

Do this and use the other money in your budget to stock up on things like spices, oils, dry goods, etc that will last you a long while. You'll still have more than enough money left over if you find good deals.

Sounds like a plan.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You have to hold your hand sideways to use something like the Oxo peeler, whereas you can hold your handle straight with the Swiss Rex or another Y-peeler. I've never used other Y-peelers but I'm happy with the Swiss Rex and bought it because I heard it was the best Y-peeler.

Ah. Well I feel comfortable holding it on the side. As a matter of fact I found the same peeler that was in my wishlist at Goodwill.

Here is a pic of what I found. Went to 4 different thrift stores. 2 Goodwill's and 2 Garage Sale Warehouses. The Garage Sale Warehouses were a total bust. Barely any kitchenware and the stuff that was their was crap or plates and dishes you would find at your grandmothers.

The first Goodwill I found everything in this picture and two cookie sheets that were priced at $5 each. Considering the ones in my wish list is $13 for 3 I kept walking on those sheets. Also found a knife sharpener similar to the one in my wishlist but it was priced at $10 where mine is $6 new.

The second goodwill only had more of the same. Didn't see a single mixing bowl, liquid measuring cups, or measuring spoons. Spatulas were not silicone and I found one sad miniature whisk. There were only two wooden spoons and both had giant plastic ducks at the end of the handle. The selection at the stores I went to was really bad. I looked at coffee grinders for grinding spices but they were either beat up and dirty or missing parts. Same went for smaller food processors that I could use for small batches.

There are three more Goodwill's in driving distance. I'll have to check them out some other day.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Today's haul is from the Dollar Tree closest to me. They also had glass mixing bowls but most were chipped and all were too small. They also had liquid measuring cups but I didn't like the quality of them and I want to be able to read them from the top and sides.

The glass prep bowls came in three packs, one of which I opened to make them easier to see.

On Monday I'm going to hit up Costco to see if I can find pots, pans, knives and appliances cheaper than amazon. I also plan to check the other Dollar Trees and Goodwill's when I am in the neighborhood.

Edit: The price on the fryer jumped up so I wont be purchasing that unless it drops or I can find a cheaper alternative. The food processor dropped from $180 to $150.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TATPants posted:

If there are any restaurant supply stores near you, I would check them after you are done with the goodwill route. The prices there are typically pretty good and you will probably find the things you want but couldn't find at the goodwill. It will all be cheaper than Amazon, but you probably wont find electric stuff unless you want a 30 gallon stand mixer

Great idea. There is one very close to me so I will check that out. I've looked at some retail kitchen supply stores like Kitchen Kaboodle and Williams-Sonoma but found they are mostly more expensive than amazon.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 19, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Scientastic posted:

Rice cooker is a waste of money. Cook rice in a saucepan.

Deep frier is a waste of money. Deep fry things in a saucepan.

Yeah. This is what I figured. Removed the fryer from my wishlist and pulled the trigger on 10 items which I can't find elsewhere for cheaper. Tomorrow is when I'm hitting up Costco, the restaurant supply store and one more dollar tree. I will buy the remaining items in my wishlist that I cant find elsewhere after that.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

So today I went to Costco and picked up the Pyrex storage dishes and some rice. I swung by the other Dollar Tree near me and found they had a measuring cup and spoon combo that I picked up as I wasn't thrilled with the ones I had and these were only a Dollar. I also picked up the mugs and plates there. I also borrowed the DSLR camera from my parents for this project.

I went to the restaurant supply store. It was a giant warehouse the size of a Costco but most items had no prices on them and were scattered and disorganized. Most of the equipment was large kitchen appliances but they had quite a bit of smallware. Much of the smallware was too specific for use in my kitchen. Almost ever item was used some to the point of not looking functional. I had yet to find any good baking equipment anywhere so I decided to pick up a new full sheet pan for $8.75 thinking it was just the right size for my oven. When I got it home I found it was about an inch and a half too long. Next time I need to measure before I buy things like that I suppose.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Got some more equipment in that I ordered today. Ordered the rest of my wish list that I hadn't bought or decided against purchasing. Everything should be coming in stages in the next week.

Figured I'd start taking pictures with the camera I am borrowing instead of my iphone.

If I find that I am cooking rice once a week or more and having trouble with getting the timing right I might reconsider. I have

As far as a crock-pot or pressure cooker goes I am used to cooking those dishes in a stockpot and I don't really see the need for them.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Bob_McBob posted:

Good thing the OP is budgeting $1000 on kitchen tools rather than the bare minimum necessary to prepare food then. At some point convenience and features beyond the most basic utility become deciding factors in purchases. Nobody is telling him to buy a rice cooker instead of a knife and cutting board. You can get a rice cooker for $20 or opt for something fancier if the convenience justifies the price in the budget.

Ive bought everything on my wish list and a little more. With some more creative shopping I got it done at $900. I've been toying with what to spend the last $100 on and I'm currently thinking of getting an Induction Burner and a Pots & Pans Rack. This budget is only for equipment and it isn't strict. I have plenty more savings and every other month than this one I spend under my means even while currently eating out for nearly every meal. If I find I really do want something I haven't bought yet I will just get it.

I went to Ross and TJ Maxx today but haven't taken a picture of what I bought yet. Found a fish turner for $3 that was on my want list and three nice glass dry storage containers with chalk labels.

As far as actual food goes I plan on buying that on a separate budget. Tomorrow I'm heading over to Penzeys Spices as I currently only have salt, pepper and cumin. Then I'' try the thrift stores again and see if I can find a decent coffee/spice grinder on the cheap and anything else I might have missed.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

When does the cooking start? What things are you planning to make? I'm assuming you made at least part of your list based on what you want to cook.

Also I just realized the thread title is iit instead of itt and its driving me crazy now.

Gunes Wtih Spunes › IIT: I relpace my ktichen porducts & mkae awl maels form scartch four a weak

Week 1 which is purchase equipment and clean is over in less than 30 minutes. Week 2 which is cooking trials start tomorrow when the bulk of my equipment arrives. I will test recipes for individual components of dishes that I don't typically make at home like bread and pasta.

What I plan to make in Week 3 will be based somewhat on the feedback of people in this thread. I am hoping to cook one goon suggested dish each day for the seven days. This will help to keep me out of my comfort zone. I need suggestions from goons on dishes to make now so I can start preparing.

Some dishes I am thinking of making are: Eggs Benedict, a Gyro with a Greek salad, Penne and Vodka Sauce, Chili, Gumbo, Pizza, Weiner Schitzel, Fish Tacos, Fried Chicken and Coleslaw, Butter Poached Halibut with Risotto, Patty Melt and Potato salad and some steak dish. Those are what first came to mind.

Today I went shopping again. I tried to go to Penzy's spice shop but I didn't realize they close at 6pm so I missed them so I am heading back tomorrow right after I get off work. I did go to Goodwill and I found a pasta machine missing it's hand crank for $5. I figured I can try to get a replacement or make one myself and some some dough (heh).

Pictured is also the containers and fish turner that I purchased the other day at Ross. I went back today and found some Pyrex baking dishes. The two pack was $8 and the pie dish was $3. I swung back at the dollar store to see if they had any jars I could use for keeping spices in and I found they had a bunch. I bought one and some superglue which is just obscured in the picture to glue a magnet to the top and see if they would work for storing on the side of my fridge. I unfortunatly didn't find any magnets. I also picked up a pie server and the dollar tree. I went to a second goodwill and found the half sheet pan and the mixing bowl for $4 each. I have glass mixing bowls on the way but I find that having one light mixing bowl around is nice.

Not pictured I went to Fred Meyers and restocked the pantry. I got distilled, red and white wine vinegar, AP flour, bread flour, table salt for baking, kosher salt, canola and olive oil, baking sugar and brown sugar, shortening, chicken and beef broth, chicken and beef better than bullion, San Marzano tomatoes, red and white onions, celery, carrots, bacon and eggs.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

bartolimu posted:

:shobon:

A guide to spelling/pronouncing German words: when it comes to EI or IE, it's like you're saying the second vowel in English. So, Wiener (which means person/thing from Wien, or Vienna) Schnitzel. It's a good choice to cook, delicious and not too labor-intensive. I like to serve schnitzel with mashed potatoes with a little ground caraway added and/or some sauerkraut on top.

As you can tell by the thread title, double checking my spelling isn't exactly my forte. Perhaps you could help me with that mistake as well?

No Wave posted:

Seems like a lot of work. The most important part when you start cooking at home a lot is actually cooking at home a lot.

I figured I would end up doing one more complex dish a day and a few simple ones. I was giving some of the more complex ones on my list because saying I'm going to make a turkey sandwich sounds boring. Some of the other Ideas are grilled cheese and tomato soup, turkey sandwich and potato chips, omelets, waffles, pancakes, biscuits and gravy.

I also plan to try to reuse as much as possible in new dishes from the ones I previously cooked. For example I would put leftover chili in an omelet or use leftover gravy from a roast for biscuits and gravy in the morning.

Plus_Infinity posted:

I like the idea of 100% from scratch though, it's a good challenge. I might try it too!

It's going to be more like 99%. For example every ketchup I've tasted is not nearly as good as Heinz no matter how fancy. I wont be attempting to outdo Heinz but I will spice it up. And while I will be making my own stock when I can I have no qualms with using some store bought broth and a little better than bullion to stretch out my drippings when making gravy.

I also said I wont be growing my own vegetables, hunting for my own meat or making my own cheeses or beverages. I'm not going to grind my own sausages or hamburger meat either.

Unfortunately it looks like the deliveries are coming too late and I don't have enough time to start cooking today. So today I will get the last of my equipment and then I'll head out to Penzy's and get my spices. My pantry is pretty stocked but may be missing a few things so I'll get some meats, cheeses and vegetables that I can use multiple ways.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 24, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Vegetable Melange posted:

Learning to stretch one big meal will teach you plenty of skills without running you ragged on costs and prep. A roast bird is dinner, chicken salad sandwiches (bake yo bread sonn), soup/stock, meatballs...

Basically what WI said, but again, because you are not listening.

Perhaps you were the one not listening. I just said I was already going to do this in my previous post. I plan to reuse previous dishes in as many dishes as I can. Just because I didn't directly acknowledge anyone's particular post in my reply is not an indication I wont take their advice.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

feelz good man posted:

Pasta rollers rule. Never EVER EVER EVER EVER try to wash it though. If it's anything like the Atlas I got, the rollers themselves are tin-plate and no matter how well you try to dry it, they will rust immediately. To clean it between uses, send a lump of dough through as a sacrifice and then flour it up again.

Very good to know. I actually have never made pasta from scratch before using a pasta machine. I was disappointed to find out that the replacement handles and and clamps weren't cheaper. They seem to both be around $15 each. It's a Himark pasta machine which is a company that was bought out by Atlas. It seems to use their same size and shape clamps and handles so I may order those if I can find them for a little less.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Then we are both bad at the internets. Hail Satan!

On this we can both agree. Hail Satan!

So today one of my shipments was sent to the wrong place by our lovely united states postal service so I am stuck waiting for who knows how long for that package to arrive instead of the two day shipping it was supposed to be. I am now down my hand mixer, and immersion blender until they arrive. The rest of the stuff like the utensil holder and potholders and pyrex mixing bowls I can live without for a little while.

I did get the rest of the expensive and useful equipment right as I had to leave to hang out with friends so I can start cooking some dishes tomorrow. On the plus side my ThermoWorks ThermoPop showed up a week early.

Not pictured I finally went to Penzy's spice shop for the first time. That place is amazing. I left with 22 spices totaling $122. I realized I forgot to get more items for the pantry on the last trip so I bought some baking soda, baking powder, lemons, milk, cream, potatoes, asparagus, top sirloin, and some extra butter considering the amount of baking I will be doing. I had to get some chocolate chips because I realized I now have all the ingredients for some chewy chocolate chip cookies that I can making for my gaming group later.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

bartolimu posted:

I don't know, I just use a browser that underlines poo poo in red when it might be misspelled and take five seconds to make sure nothing is egregiously hosed before hitting Post. Seems like a lot of trouble to ask other people to do that, though. Also I don't see what's wrong with the thread title? :confused:

What spices did you pick up at Penzey's? We can probably recommend particular dishes that might not be obvious if we know what you're working with.

The thread title should have been ITT: not IIT: like I created it which has been changed already by you or someone else.

Allspice, Basil, Bay Leaves, Cayenne, Chipotle, Ground Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin, Spicy Curry Powder, Dill Weed, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Ginger–Ground, Nutmeg–Ground, Oregano, Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon, Thyme, Vanilla–Extract Single Strength.

Edit:

First home made meal with the new gear. Lunch today about 45 minutes ago. Figured I'd start with the basics. Sauteed asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes and top sirloin. I cooked both the veg and steak on my new cast iron skillet.

I'm a little rusty so my timing was off. I started the asparagus too soon. I had the potatoes on the stove for a few minutes and then started the asparagus. When they were finished I ended up rushing the potatoes because I didn't was the asparagus to get cold. As a result the potatoes were about 1 minute underdone and so every third bite or so had a small but of uncooked potato. The seasoning was definitely correct on both and the asparagus was just right as far as doneness. By the time the steak was done the asparagus had cooled down a little too much for my tastes. The key takeaway was to work on my timing for sure.

As far as the steak goes it was a perfect medium rare. Seasoned with just salt and pepper and finished with a small pad of butter it really turned out great. One of the best steaks I have made. As far as photography goes I still have a ways to go. I shouldn't have used flash when taking the picture and readjusted the brightness afterwards as the photo doesn't do the ruby redness of the steak justice. I also should have cut the steak on the cutting board before plating to prevent the juices from showing up in the photo.

Also I wasn't expecting the starch and veg to be out of focus for the second picture. I took multiple pictures before and after cutting and these were the best I got.

As far as composing the picture I felt a bit rushed as I didn't want the veg to get any colder. Next time I should have come up with the plating and composure before I begin cooking instead of after.

Double Edit:

Got the last big batch of equipment in and put them on display with the spices. Only thing left to arrive is the induction burner which should be here tomorrow and the and the baking steel which should arrive sometime from the 29th-31st. Of all the things I wanted soonest the steel was one of them. Cant wait to bake breads and pizza on that thing.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Penzeys is kind of expensive but in my experience their stuff is top notch and totally worth it. Having good spices makes it so much easier to make tasty things. Looking forward to seeing what you end up making.

I've only worked with grocery store spices at home and the giant jars of mccormick spices that all the professional kitchen's I've worked in had which to me seems to be the same stuff just in huge jars. Just smelling them in the store you could tell the difference was night and day. If you have any ideas on what you want to see me cook please let me know.

I got my baking steel much earlier than the estimated delivery dates which is great. I also got my induction burner. I'm looking forward to trying both out. Tomorrow I will either make bread or pizza or both.

Well today I figured id dust off the baking skills and make some chocolate chip cookies. I used Alton Brown's chewy recipe and while it was good I prefer the cooks illustrated recipe. Although when mixing the dough it looked like I had used enough chocolate chips but I should have used 3/4ths of the bag instead of half. I made two batches of 6. One came out just right and the others were a tad smaller and ended up being a little bit over cooked.

My Mom ended up going to a larger Costco and finding some more equipment that was cheaper than I could find online. I ended up getting 24 magnetic spice jars so I have my spices hand and stuck to the fridge, a large stainless steel mixing bowl, two half sheet pans and cooking shears.

My parents are going out of town and taking their camera with them so for the next few days I'm stuck with my iPhone to take pictures. Lucky for me they will be back the night before I start the week where I cook everything from scratch and document it all.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

ColdPie posted:

Nice haul. The one thing I would do in the future is to just buy the little jars. Yes, it's considerably more expensive per unit, but it won't go bad on you. Buy the commonly-used spices (cumin, oregano, bay leaves) in the bulk bags, but grab the lesser-used spices (dill, chipotle) in smaller quantities so they're still fresh when you use them. I just listed some example spices/herbs from my usage; figure out what works for you.

Also, it's hard to tell in your photo, but it's worth buying most spices whole and grinding them yourself in a coffee grinder. Just-ground cumin is a whole other world from factory-ground, and it makes your kitchen smell great before you even start cooking. Don't try to grind cinnamon.

I agree with nwin. Also, how do you save the carcasses? Chuck 'em in a bag in the freezer?a

I said pretty much the same thing to the lady at Penzeys and she agreed that spices that are whole will last longer but the only spice she made the argument for buying in a small jar was clove as far as how rare it was used. I don't personally have a hard time using dill and chipotle as i use dill in every ranch dressing and tuna fish that I make amongst other fish and chipotle I use to spice up anything really. I really have about 2 years to use these ground spices and 3-4 on the whole ones. Allspice, Cloves and Nutmeg are the ones I don't use very often of the spices I purchased but often enough to have in the house. Honestly the fact that the prices were about half for the bulk spices really made it a no-brainer as even if they go bad in 1-2 years and I buy another packet of bulk spices I'm still way ahead of the jars.

Now it's time to get the pizza prepped for a late night dinner.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Lhet posted:

A $2 meal. A $1 meal if you feel up to that. Something with Sardines, something with Tofu, something with vegetables from a neighbor/friend's garden (if available). Mayonnaise (and maybe other condiments) from scratch.

Hmm.... well when I think of cheap meals I always think vegetarian. Something like a tofu curry might fit the bill. Typically I don't make vegetarian dishes but the goal of the suggestions is to make something I wouldn't normally so this one I like in particular.

I eat roast chicken about every other week at my parents house but I am looking into a local source for something like a 5lb turkey. I don't hate roast chicken and I don't love it either. Now roast turkey on the other hand is one of my favorite meals of all time.

Only reason I'm posting this instead of making pizza is I forgot to preheat the oven with the baking steel :doh:. I finished the sauce and I hope the dough turned out ok but its hard to tell. I tried to knead it in my food processor but it overheated and turned itself off for safety so I stared doing it manually. I forgot that you need to let the dough rest before testing to see if it will window pane but even after I left it rest it wasn't exactly where I wanted it. I probably kept adjusting the moisture of the dough with flour and water too much but I wont really know till I have a finished product.

My kitchen is a huge mess now. Time to go clean it while the oven heats up.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
So I ended up making pizza dough using this recipe http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/the-easiest-pizza-youll-ever-make-recipe and here are the results.

I ended up hating pretty much every ingredient on it. The mozzarella was too wet and thick and as a result didn't end up melting flat enough and leaked water onto the top of the pizza which I had to drain and wipe off. The olives were probably the worst I've ever had. Just tasteless. Likewise the pepperoni had no flavor. That's what I get from getting poor ingredients from the neighborhood grocery store's prepackaged deli section.

I was pleased with the performance of the baking steel and the cook I got on the crust. Unfortunately all the shots I took with my iPhone were blurry and this was the best of them.

I made the sauce from scratch using mirepoix which I caramelized then turned off the burner and added San Marzano tomatoes and blended it smooth with an immersion mixer and added basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper and a little brown sugar. The sauce tasted good on its own but wasn't as tangy as I like for a pizza sauce.

The crust itself was bland and the very top layer was undercooked as it got soggy from too much sauce and the water from the mozzarella. The structure was fine but even when I was tossing the pizza I couldn't get it to window pane and I couldn't get the pizza as thin as I like it without tearing so I had to resort to rolling it out as thing as I could which wasn't very thin.

I wanted pizza today so I ended up comprising way too much and got a poor result. Next time I will try this recipe for the dough as Jeff Varasano's method seems intimidating. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

The Midniter posted:

Did you use fresh mozzarella? It's got so much water content that it's pretty much inevitable that it's going to make your pizza somewhat soupy. I'd recommend freshly grated dry mozzarella. It'd cut the sog factor something fierce.

Yes I did. I will get dry mozzarella next time. I've also been thinking about trying provel.

swampface posted:

Test kitchen has a good food-processor recipe you can try. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/cooks-illustrated-thin-crust-new-york-ny-pizza-recipe.html I always find it's much, much easier to get dough to window-pane after a day in the fridge. Not as convenient to plan ahead, but way easier to work with.

I will try this one next time for sure. I knew I was compromising by trying to make a pizza dough and use it the same day. Next time I will hunt down better ingredients.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
I had purchased two steaks so it was time I cooked the second one. This time I made steak and eggs with hash browns. Same method for the steak as last time and just salt & pepper on the eggs. Has browns I just peeled and quartered a potato and put it through the food processor and cooked it with salt, pepper and paprika.

Next time I would have attempted to dry the potatoes after grating them as they had too much moisture to brown properly. They absorbed a bit of the oil and became greasy. That is to say they still tasted great but it wasn't what I was going for.

The steak came out just a little over what I like it but was still juicy, tender and had a great sear. The egg was sunny side up until I manged it trying to get it out of the cast iron pan. This was my first time trying to fry an egg over easy on cast iron and I can say it is more difficult than non-stick as I didn't feel comfortable trying to lift the hot cast iron pan to get the egg out so I tried to use my hi temp spatula to get it out.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

toe knee hand posted:

I like this one better, and bonus, it's no-knead. Need to plan ahead for it though.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Yeah. This time I will plan ahead for sure. No-knead is defiantly a bonus. I went shopping for more ingredients today and found a 8.5lb turkey so on Saturday I'll cook the bird and make a mini-thanksgiving meal and use the leftovers and bones for all sorts of dishes.

No Wave posted:

I don't think I've ever had crispy grated potato that wasn't a coherent hard-on-one-or-both-sides cake of potato.

Yeah I should have dried the potatoes but my real mistake was moving them in the pan too frequently.

I still have so much to clean. When planning this out I didn't fully realize how much time would be spent shopping and cleaning instead of cooking. I now have a deeper appreciation for homemakers. Time to go clean and make some breakfast tacos.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Alright so I made some Sin City Breakfast Tacos for a midnight meal.

Recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebAFCGWIfok

Wow. This was so easy to make and tasted great. I don't think I'll ever eat store bought flour tortillas ever again. I followed the potato recipe found in the video but I cooked down three strips of bacon until they were crispy and could be crumbled and I cooked the eggs in the rendered bacon fat and added in the cooked potatoes and crumbled bacon back in. A++ would cook again.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Wroughtirony posted:

One Crazy Trick For Breakfast Potatoes The Restaurant Industry Doesn't Want You To Know:

When you do hash browns, do chunks, not shreds. Use red potatoes. Once you've diced them, pile them on a plate, pour in a little water and put them in the microwave or three minutes. Yes, really. The microwave will dry out the outside of the potatoes and par-cook them enough so that when they hit the pan full of screaming hot clarified butter they will brown on the outside and be fluffy on the inside.

Very cool. I used russets and just fried them till they were pretty darn crispy so they would retain some of that texture after being cooked with eggs. Worked pretty well for the russets but I'll have to give that a go with the red potatoes.

Anyone have suggestions for easier to make deserts that transport well?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

No Wave posted:

By far the best (and easy!) dessert I know of is this lemon tart:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/lemon-lemon-lemon-cream-recipe.html

Even when I serve it in a pre-baked crust from the supermarket it's the best dessert anyone's ever had.

My runner-up is even easier to transport:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28food.t.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www&_r=0

You can just make the rice pudding and put granola and berries on top.

The lemon tart looks great but I'm looking to do all home made and making a tart crust and filling was a bit more than I was looking to do. I was thinking something that I could make in one bowl and cook in one pan. I did some digging and found this: http://www.whiskaffair.com/2013/08/one-bowl-oreo-brownies.html

Your runner up looking pretty complicated as well. I am looking to cook this and to share with my gaming group on Thursday and I know that rice pudding would never fly with them.

Here is my tentative list of things I am going to cook.

pre:
Thursday
Dish 1: Puerco Pibil w/ Rice & Flour Tortilla Suggested by No Wave
Dish 2: Oreo Brownies

Friday
Dish 1: ??? /w spaghetti squash. Was unable to find bass at three stores. Going to look for another dish to make.
Dish 2: Chili w/ chips made from leftover tortillas

Saturday
Dish 1: Granola suggested by Plus_Infinity
Dish 2: Meatballs /w tomato sauce and polenta suggested by No Wave

Sunday
Dish 1: Chili Omelet
Dish 2: Roast Turkey, Gravy, Mash Potatoes, Stuffing Roasting a whole bird was suggested by Wroughtirony, Vegetable Melange and mindphlux

Monday
Dish 1: Biscuits & Gravy
Dish 2: Turkey Sandwich w/ Potato Chips reusing a leftover whole bird was suggested by Wroughtirony, Vegetable Melange and mindphlux

Tuesday
Dish 1: Fried stuffing & Eggs reusing a leftover whole bird was suggested by Wroughtirony, Vegetable Melange and mindphlux
Dish 2: Pizza

Wednesday
Dish 1: Tofu Curry suggested by Lhet
Dish 2: Hamburger w/ Waffle Fries
Let me know what you think and I am always looking for more suggestions.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 31, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

No Wave posted:

Or meatballs w/tomato sauce and polenta.

Perfect. Already have a good sauce leftover from making pizza that I can adjust for meatballs.

Edit:

Anyone have some great no-knead bread recipes? The easier the better. I am thinking http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns for the hamburger buns and http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1& for the bread loaf for slices to eat with dinner and for stuffing.

As far as biscuits go I was thinking of using this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe.html.

I could also use a suggestion on a curry recipe and a Salt Encrusted Baked Bass recipe.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 31, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

ColdPie posted:

Kneading's not hard and opens up a whole lot more dough recipes. I used to make bread weekly, it's a nice little 10-minute exercise in the morning.

I'll bite. Got a favorite?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or mix about 3.5 cups flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1.5 teaspoons yeast, and approximately a cup (give or take) of water, knead it for a while, let it rise until doubled, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again for like an hour, then slash the top bake it for ~40 minutes at 450 degrees. That's a little simpler because you don't have to bother with the butter, honey, yeast activation, etc. If you're making the bread for sandwiches or something, I'd go with ColdPie's, and if you're making it as a side for a meal, especially with soup, go for the French bread.

I'm going to make both so its good to have both recipes.

Edit: Got back from shopping at three stores and couldn't find Bass anywhere. Any other suggestions?

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 31, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Well if you want to do a fish that's not bass, you can't go wrong with doing this recipe for trout. Simple, amazing, and its a good excuse to learn to brown butter.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/05/trout-a-la-meuni%C3%A8re-or-sharing-a-culinary-epiphany-with-julia-child.html

Well considering that I dont have time to go shopping now between now and meal 1 for friday I'm going to improvise. I have a lot of leftover rice from the Puerco Pibil so I'm going to try to make some fried rice since I have most of the ingredients on hand.

So I made 5lbs of Puerco Pibil and 4 cups of uncooked rice and about a dozen tortillas for 6 people and it ended up being just enough for everyone. I cooked it all and transported it to my friend's house to eat dinner before we played D&D. I had forgotten to ask my parents how to take the cap off the end of a lens to connect it to the camera and I fumbled with that while my food got cold and as I server myself last I didn't want it any colder.

So the Puerco Pibil came out perfect. It just fell apart and was extremely tender, juicy and flavorful. I have never really eaten anything seasoned with achiote paste before. I'm used to eating Mexican foods seasoned with cumin and oregano but the flavor that the clove, allspice and annatto added was something completely different and delicious. Somehow I managed to take all but one picture very blurry even though it looked in focus at the time. Next time I will have to flip out the preview and readjust the lens instead of assuming it was in focus. I also needed to step back and crop afterwards.

Recipe used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8EiScBEjA

I reused the tortilla recipe from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMTWJNZEjQ

The outside of the brownies were great but the bottom was a bit gooey. That may have been a result of me scaling up the recipe by x1.4 to make sure there was enough for everyone. That being said they tasted great but needed a little balance like a scoop of vanilla or a tall glass of milk as they were chocolate overload.

Recipe used: http://www.whiskaffair.com/2013/08/one-bowl-oreo-brownies.html

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
So I made fried rice using my leftover rice from last night. It turned out pretty good but not quite the same flavor as restaurant fried rice. I seasoned it with soy sauce, oyster sauce and a little hoisin to sweeten it up. I didn't use a recipe for this and just winged it.

Later I made chili. This recipe comes from my friend who has been making this chili for years and its the best chili I have ever had. You marinade 5lbs of cubed steak in two quarts of beef stock and some Worcestershire sauce. You take 1lb of bacon and render the fat. Julienne 3 red bell peppers and 2 red onions and a whole head of garlic and coat them in the bacon fat and roast it in the oven for 30 minutes. Add the bacon back in with a 28 oz can of tomatoes, a can and a half of whole chiptole in adobo sauce and the stock your beef marinated in and puree until smooth. Sear the beef and add it to the "soup" and season with plenty of cumin and some oregano. Cook it until a wooden spoon stands on it's own in the chili which should take 4-5 hours.

This turned out great as always. I also fried up the leftover flour tortillas and eat it with that. The chili is really great with a little queso fresco or Mexican cheese blend melted in but I had neither on hand. The photo's I took of the chili with the chips were poor and I had to re-shoot them. Just like the Puerco Pibil cooking this dish makes your house smell fantastic and if your hungry temps to to try it before the slow cooking is really complete. My apartment still smelled like Puerco Pibil when I woke up and I was saddened to realize there was none left.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or like, some chilis. Those tend to be pretty great in chili.

I will never get the chipotle hate on these forums.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Today has been a very oat filled day. I cant remember the last time I ate oats outside of a granola bar.

So I ended up making Granola for the first meal. This ended up tasting great and of course was very simple to make. It was much sweeter than I expected it to be and the coconut really added something that you don't get much in commercial granola mixes. I know many people enjoy sweet breakfast foods but I'm more of a savory breakfast food guy. This would go great on top of a crumble or some sweet fruit based desert.

]

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-recipe.html

For my second meal I made Meatballs and Polenta. The Polenta I made using the white cornmeal I had purchased to help slide pizza and bread into the oven from a metal peel. I'm not sure if that makes this Polenta or Grits but whatever it was tasted pretty good and was also extremely easy to prepare.

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/basic-polenta-recipe.html I used this and cut it in half as I didn't need that much polenta and of coursed used white cornmeal and added pepper to taste.

As for the meatballs I only had ground beef so I looked for recipes that called for just beef instead of a combination. What I ended up with was unconventional to say the least but turned out surprisingly very good.

I had already made sauce for my pizza and made way too much last week. I used half of what was left over to cover the meatballs after I browned them instead of the barbeque sauce the recipe calls for. The odd thing about the recipe is that it calls for quick oats instead of breadcrumbs to add structure to the meatballs.

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/comfort-meatballs-recipe.html

I must have had oats on the brain from purchasing the quick oats for the meatballs and rolled oats for the granola I also ended up buying Ninkasi's Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout at the same time without even realizing the oat connection.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
I brined the turkey last night before going to bed and put it in the fridge. I woke up this morning to find that the door had been cracked open on the fridge the entire night. Now I am questioning safety to eat anything meat or dairy in the fridge. :mad:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

dino. posted:

Ugh. This is why the thermometer is necessary. Temp the food and figure out if any of it fell into the danger zone. If it's even a degree above 40f, throw it out.

I do have a thermometer. Verified it is working properly with an ice water bath and it is and the turkey and everything else is at ~45 degrees. What a waste. All my leftovers are screwed and pretty much everything on the menu rested upon the chili and turkey leftovers.

What a way to end this thread....

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah. I mean sure put chipotle thingies in whatever you want. They're cool. But a chili should have some chilis.

:confused: Chipotle literally translates to smoked chili. Chili powder is just a powder made from grinding dried varieties of chili peppers. Most of the blends you find in the store are ground dried chili peppers mixed with cumin, oregano, garlic powder and salt. This recipe opts to instead add those ingredients separately and use more fresh and whole versions to verify the quality of the ingredients is high.

Chili powders can be made from any number of varieties of chili peppers. I have chosen to essentially make my own powder in the chili itself using a variety of smoked jalapenos. I really don't see the difference.

ColdPie posted:

I totally would've eaten most or all of what was in the fridge. The salt in the brine and spices in the leftovers are preservatives, and I imagine the food was only in the danger zone for a few hours. Most fridges I've seen are set around 40 degrees anyway. I would've taken the risk over waste all the food.

The turkey was still raw and just in a brine. No way I'm eating any poultry that could be contaminated. I haven't thrown anything out yet as I haven't had the heart to and because throwing away five pounds of Chili isn't logistically easy.

Rurutia posted:

You don't have to end the thread this way. Just extend it by one day. :)

There isn't anything to extend. Its all gone bad. I don't feel like dropping another $100 steak and turkey just to do it all over again and it would take too long for a turkey to defrost. I am far too frustrated by this to have any desire to continue this process by coming up with and buying ingredients for an entirely new menu for another four days.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Well its not like you're not going to have to buy more milk etc anyways, and all the dry ingredients are still there. Any cheese you got is prob fine. The loss of the chili is sad, but I'm sure you can salvage this, albeit with maybe some cheaper protiens and modified recipes.

Yeah, you're right. I figure the heartier vegetables are still fine as well so I'll give it a go again and just figure out a new menu. I know for sure I can make pancakes and gnocchi with what I have so I'll start there tomorrow.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Alright time to post what I made today. Swedish pancakes.

Boy these were way harder to make than I thought they would be. I must have scrapped 5 pancakes that I screwed up by not letting cook enough on one side before trying to flip it or not having enough oil in the pan or any other number of reasons. Served with a pad of butter and some real maple syrup. Not that much of a difference when it comes to flavor compared to a regular pancake but the texture is lighter and thinner. Interesting but not worth the hassle. Tasted great but way too much work for what should be an easy breakfast food but I probably just suck because I cant remember if I have ever made pancakes in my life before. I'm more of an eggs and potatoes breakfast person and tend not to order/make sweet breakfast foods.

And the Gnocchi.

I ended up using the techniques from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDRhJDbVv4 and the recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gnocchi-i/.
I just baked the 2 russets in the oven when I made my pancakes in the afternoon and took them out later when they were cool to scoop and mash and add the egg and flour. I didn't get the mash as smooth as it should have been and it made it slightly harder to roll after kneading and cutting. I was afraid it would adversely effect the texture of the end prodcut as there was bits of small potato in the dough instead of being homogenous but after boiling them the texture was perfect. I then sauteed them for a little color and texture and poured in my tomato sauce and melted a little mozzarella and topped with some of the cheap Parmesan. Unfortunately I didn't have any of the good stuff on hand. This tasted good and was easy to make as far as pasta goes considering I never had to put it through a pasta machine or do any complicated shapes or fillings. Great way to use leftover potatoes too.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Alrighty. So today I was going to make two recipes. The theme was going to be bar food and I decided on wings and a hamburger with fries.

Instead of shopping on my lunch break for my missing ingredients for today's food I ended up shopping after work and didn't get home until 10pm as I ran other errands as well. After some procrastinating I ended up making my own hot sauce using a franks red hot knock off recipe from this very ugly website http://www.budget101.com/copycat-clone-recipes/make-your-own-franks-red-hot-sauce-3871.html. I went to three stores and none had any fresh cayenne peppers. I ended up buying what Fred Meyer's calls "Long Red Chilis" which looked like a wider but not longer cayenne pepper. I tasted the flesh of the pepper and it tasted like your typical sweet red pepper. I then tasted the seeds and boy did they have some kick. I ended up just removing the stems and cooking them whole with 3 whole cloves of garlic in the vinegar. Blended it as smooth as I could get it with the immersion mixer and then ghetto strained out the thicker parts and the seeds with a splatter guard from the dollar tree.

The hot sauce ended up tasting great without any adjustments. Somewhat similar to franks but with a deeper flavor profile while slightly sweeter and thicker.

Next up I have to make my blue cheese dressing. I ended up using this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/blue-cheese-dressing-recipe.html but of course it calls for mayo. So first I ended up whipping up a batch of mayo by hand. Boy I had forgotten how much of a workout for your forearm that is. Followed this recipe for mayo http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mayonnaise-recipe.html and ended up with a soupy mess. Went too fast with the oil at first. Not to worry just beat another egg yolk up in another bowl and added the soupy mess in very slowly. Found it to be a little too thick so I ended up mixing in a little whole milk to thin it to the proper consistency.

The I just combined the ingredients in the blue cheese dressing and there you go.

I then just chopped up some celery and fried up the wings in a sauce pot on my induction burner and tossed with the sauce. The induction burner had a setting for the temperature and I set it to 390 after testing that it was slightly under that with my thermometer.

I ended up devouring these at 2:30 AM and I barely had the patience to take a few pictures of this before I ate it. You can see the steam coming off the wings in the picture if you look close. The wings were perfectly crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside. Too bad faffed around so long today it was the only thing I ate but drat if they weren't some of the best wings I've had.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
So today I made the burger I resolved to yesterday. I already had the mayo so I just mixed in a little ground chipotle to give it some kick. I'm using Heinz because I don't think there is a ketchup in this world let alone one I could make that can taste better to me than Heinz 57.

So all that is left is the burger and the bun. So the bun I ended up modifying the recipe here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns based on the suggestions in the reviews to make fewer buns and use a Tablespoon of sugar instead 1/4 cup and let them rest for 20 minutes instead of 10. Super easy and quick to make and turned out very nice. They are almost a cross between a burger bun and a dinner roll. I guess there really isn't much difference. Next time I might score them and top with sesame seeds to make them feel more like burger buns. I ended up making them all different sizes just in case they ended up being too small or large for the intended burger.

So as far as the burger went I chose a 20% fat grind from new seasons as I cant be bothered to grind my own hamburger meat and I think the meat is about twice as good tasting as the butcher shop at my regular grocery store. Too bad its about 3-4x the price. I chose the cooking method found here: http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-the-fake-shack-how-to-make-shake-shack-burger.html. Which is making a smaller but regular thickness burger and cooking it a hot lightly oiled pan and mash it down as thin as it can get when you put in the pan so it develops a nice sear on as much of the meat as possible. It cooks super fast and isn't dried out without being too undercooked in the middle for ground beef. I am not much of a American cheese buff so I ended up using Tillamook mild cheddar. Cooked up two thin patties, topped it and called it a burger.

Of course you have to have fries with your burger and I like a waffle fry. I'm not sure if the potatoes being fresh instead of frozen contributed to them browning in the center prematurely as I had took cook them longer than I wanted color wise to get a decent crispness from them. I am used to cooking frozen potatoes for fries. I think it was probably because the oil was too hot an da lower setting I could have gotten them to cook longer without browning too quickly. I need some sort of basket I can put in on top of the fried food to prevent it from floating to the top and browning unevenly.

Finally I made lemon bars using the recipe found here: http://www.woodlandbakeryblog.com/lemon-bars/ video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue0Pvby9BT4&feature=youtu.be. Very straight forward and easy to make except for juicing all the lemons. I might think about spending a few dollars and getting a manual glass citrus juicer. These were quite good. I can't remember the last time I had a lemon bars and these were nice and balanced between tart and sweet with a good texture.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
I am having to post this from a crappy laptop from storage because my internet has died and I have to tether to my phone to post from a computer as I didn't want a second day without an update of what is happening. Yesterday I actually had to work during the day so I only had the time between work and leaving for D&D to make food for myself so I ended up eating leftovers and making the pizza dough for today so I could rise in the fridge overnight. I used the crust recipe from http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html and the sauce recipe from http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html . The sauce was much more appropriate for a pizza compared to my last one.

I ended up using dry whole milk mozzarella and a higher quality pepperoni and olive than the first pizza. The crust ended up tasting great but following their instructions they seemed to have the crust at the edge much higher than the rest. They say to have the edges a full inch higher than the center and then stretch it out using your knuckles which worked for getting the center the perfect thinness but the edges were way out of proportion. The crust was not soggy and had the right structure and was the perfect level of chewiness. I have two more pizza dough balls in the fridge and next time I will not make the edges so high and I would roll it out with a pin to get a nice even and thin crust. The pizza was good but not great but I think I could get there in the next pizza or two. By far the best pizza I have made from scratch. I finally feel good about making pizza at home instead of frustrated after hours of work. I tried to get shots of the bottom of the pizza but the focus was razor thin and only a narrow band of the pictures were in focus. Next time I will try to get father away after propping it up.

I can't wait to cook my next pizza. Tomorrow I am heading over to a friends house for the whole day and eating his home made gumbo so I may or may not post tomorrow depending if I end up making something to eat late at night. Although since this is the third post in a row from myself with updates it makes me think interest in the thread is waning as it nears the end date. Anyone have any tips of frying french fries for a more uniform and lighter color cook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Wroughtirony posted:

When you stretch out pizza dough, you don't have to make any extra effort to keep the edges thicker, it kind of happens naturally. Also you don't really want the edges to be too big or too thick. Put the sauce and cheese all the way to the edge without going over, and a crust will form naturally when the pizza cooks.

I tried to follow this advice as best as I could and I got a much better result. I still didn't end up getting the pizza as thin as I wanted it. I could have tossed it a bit more. I have one more dough left and I think the third will be the best for sure.

Here are the results:

As I got thinner I find I need to use less toppings. Next time I will try to cut back a bit more.

The pizza I had for lunch and for dinner I went to my parents for family night at my mothers cooking so I did not prepare a second meal today. Tomorrow I will go back to two meals again.

• Locked thread