Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Rice cookers aren't a waste of money if you eat a lot of rice. It's rice done correctly every time with no margin for error. If you can remove a failure point a dish that you make a lot, absolutely do it - even the best cooks mess up sometimes. I've never had rice at someone's house that was as good as rice cooker rice.

That said, if you don't feel the need for one, don't get one! The only kitchen thing I'd ever encourage people to buy without feeling a specific need for it is the Thermapen, because you really don't "get it" until you start using it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Loanarn posted:

Some dishes I am thinking of making are: Eggs Benedict, a Gyro with a Greek salad, Penne and Vodka Sauce, Chili, Gumbo, Pizza, Weiner Schitzel, Fish Tacos, Fried Chicken and Coleslaw, Butter Poached Halibut with Risotto, Patty Melt and Potato salad and some steak dish. Those are what first came to mind.
Seems like a lot of work. The most important part when you start cooking at home a lot is actually cooking at home a lot.

I'd recommend hitting these:
Steak
Chicken under a brick
Pan-roasted fish
Slow-roasted pork shoulder
Slow-roasted leg of lamb

And these sides:
Roast sweet potato fries (melt clarified butter in pan, coat cut sweet potatoes, dump onto baking sheet, cook at 400 for fifteen minutes, turn, cook at 350 until done)
Roast asparagus
Roast cauliflower/broccoli
Roast brussel sprouts
Glazed carrots (cut carrots into large chunks or faux-tourne, melt butter in pan, add salt, a little water and white wine, add carrots, cover, steam until carrots are nearly done, remove lid, let water boil off and brown the carrots in the remaining butter until brown)
Sauteed spinach
Braised kale

More carb-y stuff:
Black beans with onions (drain+rinse canned beans/soak and boil dry beans [great use for a pressure cooker imo], sweat onions in olive oil [add bacon if desired], add beans + water + salt, cover until beans get mushy, reduce liquid until good consistency)
Fried rice
Farro

These are all real easy and high-impact and require little active cooking time, though some of them require a lot of oven time. You'll definitely learn a lot doing the neat-o time-consuming dishes, but if you're cooking every drat day it'll start to take its toll.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 24, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I get better results for crispy hash browns by laying down some oil (or clarified butter, ideally), letting the oil warm a bit, laying down a thin layer of potatoes, pressing the potatoes down so there's as much contact between the pan and potatoes as possible, and keeping the heat at a level that lets the bottom get real crispy without moving them without burning them. Once the bottom is crispy and it's like a patty of crispy-on-one-side potato, flip and crisp the other side. You can do the same thing with rice.

I don't think I've ever had crispy grated potato that wasn't a coherent hard-on-one-or-both-sides cake of potato.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

this but also the crucial step is to take your grated potato in a thin kitchen towel, and wring out the potato, like you would a wet piece of laundry. when I grate a few potatoes I throw them in a tea towel and usually get about 2-3tbsp of liquid via wringing. then you can scatter them in the pan like no wave says, don't ever touch them again except for to flip them one time during cooking. it's just like a steak. salt and pepper the uncooked top in the pan, then do again for the the cooked top when you flip'em.
Agree with the general gist of this post, but there's nothin' wrong with flipping steak! The more you flip it the more evenly it cooks.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

Loanarn posted:

Anyone have suggestions for easier to make deserts that transport well?
By far the best (and easy!) dessert I know of is this lemon tart:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/lemon-lemon-lemon-cream-recipe.html

Even when I serve it in a pre-baked crust from the supermarket it's the best dessert anyone's ever had.

My runner-up is even easier to transport:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28food.t.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www&_r=0

You can just make the rice pudding and put granola and berries on top.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 30, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I may not have represented the second accurately - the grand majority of that work goes into the optional accompaniments for the rice pudding, rather than the rice pudding itself.

For the rice pudding:

Ingredients:
½ vanilla bean
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
1/3 cup carnaroli or arborio rice (they have large grains)
2 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 2/3 cups heavy cream

1.) Bring milk to simmer with vanilla bean split lengthwise and scraped of beans. After coming to simmer, scrape vanilla pod again.
2.) Add rice, leave simmer until the rice is fully cooked. The consistency should be sorta like oatmeal - the rice grains should be huge at this point.
3.) Stir in the sugar, stir until mixed in and tasty. Don't add all the sugar at first and add until you like the level of sweetness. Discard the vanilla bean.
4.) Chill the rice in the fridge (preferably overnight).
5.) Before transporting, whip the cream with some sugar, fold the whipped cream into the rice pudding. This makes the rice pudding very light.

When serving top with berries and whatever you like in rice pudding. Anywayz, obvi you can stick with oreo thingy if you want.

Saturday dinner:
If you really wanna ball out Saturday you can have some veal sweetbreads, lamb kidneys, or rare beef liver. If you want to try a braise and want to work at it, osso bucco with gnocchi.

Or meatballs w/tomato sauce and polenta.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 30, 2014

• Locked thread