Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

For pizza, I use a heatproof spatula, a cookie sheet, and :ninja: reflexes. For bread, I just use a dish towel and move quick.

What I'm saying is I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Nice haul. The one thing I would do in the future is to just buy the little jars. Yes, it's considerably more expensive per unit, but it won't go bad on you. Buy the commonly-used spices (cumin, oregano, bay leaves) in the bulk bags, but grab the lesser-used spices (dill, chipotle) in smaller quantities so they're still fresh when you use them. I just listed some example spices/herbs from my usage; figure out what works for you.

Also, it's hard to tell in your photo, but it's worth buying most spices whole and grinding them yourself in a coffee grinder. Just-ground cumin is a whole other world from factory-ground, and it makes your kitchen smell great before you even start cooking. Don't try to grind cinnamon.

mindphlux posted:

if you aren't doing this at least once or twice a week, you're doing yourself a disservice. the triple use, with the stock and the leftover breast meat is perfect. I usually save about 5-6 carcasses before I bother making stock.

I agree with nwin. Also, how do you save the carcasses? Chuck 'em in a bag in the freezer?a

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kneading's not hard and opens up a whole lot more dough recipes. I used to make bread weekly, it's a nice little 10-minute exercise in the morning.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I mostly just made super basic white bread. I think it's a good way to learn about working with dough before you get into slightly more difficult stuff like pastries or even pizza dough. I really like baking, so entirely too many words incoming.

Activate a tablespoon of yeast in a mug of warm water and a tablespoon of honey for 10 mins. Put 3 cups of bread flour, a teaspoon or so of salt, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter into a large bowl. If you want to do something interesting like crushed rosemary, this is where to do it. Add the yeast slurry and another cup of water. The next bit is where experience comes in, but you'll get the hang of it. Mix the dough with your hands (cooking spray on your hands helps, but you're going to get messy regardless). You want the dough to be as moist as possible without sticking to the bowl. Add flour as necessary. Adding water back into dry dough is harder than adding flour to wet dough, so I err on the side of too much water, then add just enough flour to get to the point you want.

Once you've got the dough ball, you turn it out of the bowl onto a well floured surface. Push it into the counter with both hands, kind of spreading it apart with your palms. Use your whole body for the motion, you want to put some power in and stretch it. Pick it up, place it down end-wise and repeat. For ten minutes. Maybe take a break if you need one. Add flour as needed to keep it from sticking, it will get stickier as you knead. You're done when the dough is "smooth," and takes some effort to tear (google "windowpane test" if you care).

Sucker someone else into cleaning the mixing bowl, then put the dough into the bowl, lightly oil it with veg or olive oil, and let it rise somewhere warm and moist. I boil a small pot of water and stick it straight into the (room temperature) oven with the dough, covered by a tea towel. Let it rise until doubled (30-60 minutes depending on air moisture and warmth). Punch it down, knead once or twice to redistribute the dough, then shape into your loaf pans. This will probably make two loaves. If you don't have a loaf pan, you can literally just make a blob and bake it on an upside-down baking dish. Whatever, bread is almost older than civilization, it'll turn out.

Let it rise again for 30-60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 and bake for about a half hour. It's hard to over-bake this bread, so go a little longer if you think it needs it. Let it cool on a rack for another 15 minutes before cutting into it. Boom, delicious sandwich bread for the week and the skills to make other doughs.

The heel is the best part. Don't let someone else take your freshly baked heel.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 31, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I totally would've eaten most or all of what was in the fridge. The salt in the brine and spices in the leftovers are preservatives, and I imagine the food was only in the danger zone for a few hours. Most fridges I've seen are set around 40 degrees anyway. I would've taken the risk over waste all the food.

I had food sickness once. I would describe that night in the bathroom as hell on earth. Maybe I didn't learn my lesson the first time.

E: Would be kinda curious to know how stupid this actually is. What are the odds of illness assuming the food is reheated back up to safe meat temps.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 4, 2014

• Locked thread