Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Astebreed is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlj2hl0NQa8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Voltek posted:

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is also a pretty good cave-like shmup and has good options for beginners (like me). It's also got a point allocation system which lets you pick between more firepower or survivability, which makes for a good risk/reward system.

I dislike that one. It has really boring Stage design imo (except for Stage 5)

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

It's on my wish list.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i love shmups but i gotta use like a billion credits to clear them and i never get any better at them but i still love 'em welp that's it bai

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

assbreed

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i got eschatos, bullet soul and ginga force on my wishlist; which one should i get next

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

i got eschatos, bullet soul and ginga force on my wishlist; which one should i get next

I like the combination ginga Force and eschatos for 30$
Qute pack or something.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Is it fascism yet posted:

I like the combination ginga Force and eschatos for 30$
Qute pack or something.

too bad it's not region free

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

too bad it's not region free

I play it on PAL 360 o_O

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

I play it on PAL 360 o_O

oh? i can't get a yes or no on whether or not its region free - not that it matters right now because shmups cost too much goddamn money anyways

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

ill buy it after i can beat DDP DFK op

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Voltek posted:

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is also a pretty good cave-like shmup and has good options for beginners (like me). It's also got a point allocation system which lets you pick between more firepower or survivability, which makes for a good risk/reward system.

I really wanted to like Danmaku Unlimited 2 but I couldn't get into it. Something about it just didn't quite click with me. Jamestown, on the other hand, I pretty much immediately fell in love with.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

matrix ripoff posted:

oh? i can't get a yes or no on whether or not its region free

It's

Pigswill posted:

ill buy it after i can beat DDP DFK op

Good luck , gamer

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

I guess so, it just also has gravity and thrust instead of just free movement, doesn't autoscroll, etc. No need to sperg over what a shmup is, its just about as far from Cave games as you can possibly be while still falling under that. It's a fun game and it's worth the price when it's on sale.

luftrausers has its own problems namely that most of the upgrades are inferior to a select few

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i can't get over luftrusers' ugly palette

like it could be a good game but ill never know

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i can't get over luftrusers' ugly palette

like it could be a good game but ill never know

the default palette owns, and later on you get to choose from many more color palettes, some of which are insanely weird

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

lesbian baphomet posted:

the default palette owns, and later on you get to choose from many more color palettes, some of which are insanely weird

oh ok, that's much better.
i might buy it then.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
a shmup from the west,
avoid like the pest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a helpful proverb i just came up with

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

a shmup from the west,
avoid like the pest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Luftrausers is good, fascism. vlambeer makes the good games.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

Luftrausers is good, fascism. vlambeer makes the good games.

they seem to develop good chore mechanics and then gently caress it uo with half assed unlock mechanics and random elements

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

a shmup from the west,
avoid like the pest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if destroying space greasers with my pimped space jaggernaut while this music play is wrong then i dont want to be right

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
xoxak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAO6akjqdg

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i miss you xoxak

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jamestown

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just bought this game and I am so confused

like I beat the first level and then I got this little award thing in the bottom left? Then I died and played again, and got a second little award thing? Except I got to the second level's boss and like a little plus appeared next to it

then the second boss rammed me which was a dick move if you asked me

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

nrook posted:

I just bought this game and I am so confused

Tap, microtap, stream bullets, bomb, break, double break, shoot, focus, unfocus to launch missiles.

Be attitude for gains.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

thuly posted:

Tap, microtap, stream bullets, bomb, break, double break, shoot, focus, unfocus to launch missiles.

Be attitude for gains.

1. Be praying.
2. Be praying.
3. Be praying.

Please play radiant silvergun

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Is good.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i unironically liked deathsmiles except for the grossass sexualized children

if someone could romhack some hoary wizards and warlocks into it that'd be great, thanks

edit: deathsmiles 2 is cancer and i still regret buying it

the one black spot on my Cave collection

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I should be constantly locking on and then firing those lasers like every second right

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

nrook posted:

I should be constantly locking on and then firing those lasers like every second right

Yes. Try to get close to the maximum number of lockons before firing, it gives you a bigger multiplier the more locks you fire at once.

Big enemies can be locked multiple times based on the amount of health they have when you start the lock, so you can safely drop like a dozen locks on them and then move over to lock onto some trash on the other side of the screen.

Break rate is how fast your break bar fills, and goes up based on stars collected. Getting a shitload of stars early on is the key to really good runs, as it allows you to spend more time in break mode, thus earning even more stars, etc. You get bonus stars for being close to enemies when they die, so a little stage memorization goes a long way.

E: finishing a boss in double break while all up in its face barfs stars all over the place. There's a vacuum effect on stars when you focus/lock-on/slow so use that to grab stars you are bulletblocked from grabbing.

thuly fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 25, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

qnqnx posted:

Is good.

This guy knows what's up.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
help I was playing crimzon clover and I was at the last stage at the first one of those big blast doors you have to wait a second to open except this time it didn't open right away and the game popped up this thank you message thing that used my steam name, what did I do

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i had to look up what caravan mode was, i'm disappointed it doesn't involve playing a bunch of ships at once.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Devour or Fire posted:

help I was playing crimzon clover and I was at the last stage at the first one of those big blast doors you have to wait a second to open except this time it didn't open right away and the game popped up this thank you message thing that used my steam name, what did I do

Their ghosts remember you.

Had you continued up til then?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thuly posted:

Their ghosts remember you.

Had you continued up til then?

no I never continue but I've gotten there a bunch of times without continuing and it only happened once

it was a novice boost mode run but on that run I got the 3 million stars for the type z so maybe that was it

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Shmups annoy me because you always die in one hit and there's no margin of error for my kinda-lovely-sometimes reflexes. Give me a shmup with a health bar, and RPG elements and stuff. Give me Sigma Star Saga but a little less mediocre

World Reborn, an unreleased GBA game is what you're looking for. Also Jets 'n' Guns Gold. You should still stake the op's advise and get Crimzon Clover though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I tried to play jets 'n' guns once, but it's like the most aggressively ugly game I have ever played

just the most unappealing aesthetic I can imagine

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Afraid I'm not a hosed up pedophile OP. I suggest going to a forum like BadGame.net where you can see threads with topics such as, Just shot sperm on a baby. or Post here if you have brain damage and jack off to pictures of naked kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Sold.

• Locked thread