Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Used organic purple carrots in today's miso soup and ended up with purple soup, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you make your oyakodon the right egg texture? I always over or under cook it

my recent idea and preferred method is to separate the eggs, add the whites first, then pour over the yolks shortly before serving. an evolution of the two techniques of adding the egg in two batches, and of putting a yolk on top after serving

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Which kind of sake should I use for cooking? I also wouldn't mind being able to take a sippy, either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The nuances will get lost in food so there's no reason to get anything high grade. Sho Chiku Bai's basic junmai is what I use. The lighter floral/fruity elements in a ginjo usually disappear when heated.

To drink will depend a lot, sake has an enormous range to it. Not hyper expensive bottles I think are worth picking up if you see them:

Dassai 45 (Dassai tends to be popular among everyone)
Konteki Tears of Dawn
Dewazakura Oka Ginjo
Fukumitsuya Kagatobi Junmai Ginjo
Anything from Harushika brewery
Dewazakura Dewasansan Junmai Ginjo
Atago no Matsu Tokuetsu Honjozo
Anything from Nanbu Bijin brewery
Kurosawa Kimoto Junmai
Kenbishi Kuromatsu Honjozo
Ozeki Taru

If you want to try warm, futsushus, honjozos or junmais are generally the ones to do that with. Tozai Typhoon is pretty good warm.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 18, 2023

Development
Jun 2, 2016

That Old Ganon posted:

Which kind of sake should I use for cooking? I also wouldn't mind being able to take a sippy, either.

we use momokawa diamond junmai ginjo. It's perfect for cooking but there's tastier things for sure...

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thank you for clearing up the sake thing.

Another question, does anyone bother using yakitori grills?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Posted about this in the kitchen equipment thread but didn’t get any replies :(

I’m looking to buy a high quality, nonstick, medium sized makiyakinabe (“tamagoyaki pan” if you will.) Would love recommendations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry that I don't have a rec in this department. I actually just replaced mine but it was with a non stick Korean pan I found at H Mart for $9. The handle isn't completely straight but it works pretty well

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah me either. I just use my regular nonstick pan.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Do opened bonito flakes go bad? i’ve had a good amount stored in a ziploc for a couple of years and need to make a dashi.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I would think they'd be fine as long as they were kept dry.

Actually you could probably throw one of those dessicsnt packs in there when storing it and it probably keep basically forever.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
If they look and smell ok, they’re fine. Katsuobushi developed as a preservation method after all (granted, traditionally you shaved your own flakes off your dry block of fish every day, but still).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Do opened bonito flakes go bad? i’ve had a good amount stored in a ziploc for a couple of years and need to make a dashi.

They don't go bad per se, but the flavor will fade. I don't think you're going to get much out of them after a couple years. I keep my bags in the freezer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

From a chemical perspective I'm sure they'd last longer if they were sealed. Fresh oxygen circulating over the fish can't be good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I decided against it. They had clearly oxidized and had lost their original color. No sense in risking it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m feeling a little down about my tsukemono experiments. I’m trying to replicate the various red/yellow pickled daikon tsukemono that I remember getting with meals, but whie I’m coming close there’s just … something off about my attempts. I’ve been trying various youtube reciples, playing around with salt/sugar ratios, trying various combinations of mirin and rice vinegar and other recipes, but this far out I’m having a real hard time identifying what is “off” about my tastes to adjust in one diretcion or another. I’m not giving up but it’s so maddening not being able to articulate what isn’t “right” about the taste compared to memory enough to adjust :/

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
tsukemono are traditionally “just” lacto-fermented so you shouldn’t be adding vinegar. the easiest way is to just add ~2% salt in some form and seal in a vacuum bag, but you could also make a wet brine, use a fermentation vessel, etc. what have you tried so far?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm -- every (english) recipe on youtube for takuan I've come across seems to be some mix of salt, sugar, vinegar, and a yellowing agent of some sort. Some add a bit of kombu, some add chili or other things, but they mostly line up there.

So most of my experimentation has been based on various recipes which call for different proportions of the base ingredients listed above. Some have been just ridiculously unappealing, way too much vinegar and salt, etc., but since I posted I think I came across a recipe that manages to at least trigger the memory of how I remember takuan tasting in a generic sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWG-X4Ejz04

My Japanese is awful but this one was simplistic enough that I could follow, and I think it's passable. After two days in the brine my last batch is something I can see myself making again so I made sure to jot down the proportions from the video.

I'm going to expand to other tsukemono real soon and I do agree that rarely do they include any forms of vinegar -- I think perhaps takuan might be the exception based on how often I see vinegar included.

I suppose what makes a good takuan is really subjective anyway, so I'm not going to bash any of the other videos for creating something I don't like. If I grew up eating takuan as prepared in one of those videos I might think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. So no harm no foul.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
sure, you can quick pickle instead if you like. but if you read about production it’s historically just a dried and lacto-fermented daikon radish

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
This question is more a general fermentation question but, when a recipe calls for an X% brine solution, is that X% of the water weight alone, or X% of the total weight of the water+whatever I'm fermenting?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Total weight. I find the easiest thing to do is add 2% in salt directly to the veg and let them sit for a few hours to see how much water they throw off on their own, then top up with 2% brine to cover.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Total weight. I find the easiest thing to do is add 2% in salt directly to the veg and let them sit for a few hours to see how much water they throw off on their own, then top up with 2% brine to cover.

So, weigh veg (say, 50g), add 2% salt (1g), wait, mix water (say 200g) and salt (4g) and top off with that?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep, that’s what I do.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Yep, that’s what I do.

Awesome, thanks!

I've got a handful of assorted chili peppers I grew, but my plants this year haven't produced enough to properly ferment.

I may order a batch of peppers in bulk and try making something like Sriracha or gochujang.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
if you have a vacuum sealer then you don’t need to bother with brine at all, just salt 2% and vacuum seal. it will create its own brine and you will never have issues with aerobic bacteria, yeast, etc

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

jawbroken posted:

if you have a vacuum sealer then you don’t need to bother with brine at all, just salt 2% and vacuum seal. it will create its own brine and you will never have issues with aerobic bacteria, yeast, etc

Alas, I don't have one. I don't know if my balcony-grown summer pepper plants would be enough to justify a vacuum sealer :v:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I took my mom out for ramen today and multiple times she said “I need to learn to makes this”. What’s the best ramen cookbook?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The back of a Sapporo Ichiban

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I took my mom out for ramen today and multiple times she said “I need to learn to makes this”. What’s the best ramen cookbook?

The recipes in the beginning of “Japanese Soul Cooking” by Ono and Salat are good starting points.

Ramen_Lord’s book of ramen has more detail than almost anyone needs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Scythe posted:

The recipes in the beginning of “Japanese Soul Cooking” by Ono and Salat are good starting points.

Ramen_Lord’s book of ramen has more detail than almost anyone needs.

That soul cooking book might work. I was hoping that there would be something specifically about Ramen, I know there’s a billion variations.

My mom is far from tech illiterate, but she’s not going to be opening up a google doc in her spare time. It’s gotta be a physical book.

Gaius Marius posted:

The back of a Sapporo Ichiban

Gaius please

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

So I went to a local Japanese shop and ended up buying some dried udon noodles, some yuzu ponzu sauce, and a tiny bottle of nama-shoyu (I think that's it? They were pressing raw soy sauce and said it was the stuff I bought.) on a whim. They're artisanal/organic/whatever, so not exactly inexpensive, and I'd like to do the ingredients some justice and showcase them somehow. What should I do with them? I was going to try the sauces for gyoza dipping, but I'm curious about other options as well. Udon in some sort of broth maybe? All suggestions welcome!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Paper Clip Death posted:

So I went to a local Japanese shop and ended up buying some dried udon noodles, some yuzu ponzu sauce, and a tiny bottle of nama-shoyu (I think that's it? They were pressing raw soy sauce and said it was the stuff I bought.) on a whim. They're artisanal/organic/whatever, so not exactly inexpensive, and I'd like to do the ingredients some justice and showcase them somehow. What should I do with them? I was going to try the sauces for gyoza dipping, but I'm curious about other options as well. Udon in some sort of broth maybe? All suggestions welcome!

Do you have access to other general Japanese ingredients or not really? That will probably determine what I'd recommend doing

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Put the nice shoyu over vanilla ice cream (not kidding)

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Do you have access to other general Japanese ingredients or not really? That will probably determine what I'd recommend doing
Whatever you would reasonably be able to get in a mid-sized European city, I'd say. There's a number of stores that specialize in Asian cuisines here. The Japanese shop I mentioned has mostly dry goods like noodles, sauces, drinks and snacks, plus a couple fridges' worth of frozen/cold stuff. Other stores vary in what countries they specialize in, but a handful have at least some Japanese things. Anything super perishable like fresh vegetables is probably going to be hit or miss.

midori-a-gogo posted:

Put the nice shoyu over vanilla ice cream (not kidding)
Oh yeah, I've seen this. Might give it a go!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

You might like hotpot like shabu shabu or something and then use the ponzu for dipping sauce... ponzu is also good as a topping for rice porridge (okayu) which is fairly easy to make.

Both the ponzu or the soy sauce would be tasty on just good quality silken tofu served chilled, maybe with some chopped scallions (hiyayakko).

For udon you can certainly put them in a soup with whatever you like. We eat a lot of curry udon in my house, and that's pretty easy if you can get Japanese curry roux.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What is the difference between Nanami Togarashi and Shichimi Togarashi?

I bought a little shaker of Shichimi Togarashi and really liked it, bit it's kinda pricy for a small vial.

I found a large bag of something called Nanami Togarashi on Amazon, that's a better price per gram, but I'm unsure how they differ.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Nanami tōgarashi and shichimi tōgarashi are the same thing. Both mean "seven-flavor chili pepper": "nana" and "shichi" are two different ways to pronounce the number 7.

Ichimi tōgarashi is different, it's "one-flavor chili pepper" (because it's just chile flakes).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Scythe posted:

Nanami tōgarashi and shichimi tōgarashi are the same thing. Both mean "seven-flavor chili pepper": "nana" and "shichi" are two different ways to pronounce the number 7.

Ichimi tōgarashi is different, it's "one-flavor chili pepper" (because it's just chile flakes).

Ah, got it. I'll buy the bigger bag then, and hopefully I can refill the neat little shaker.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

real talk I can’t stop grilling 7-mi chicken wings. from the ono and salat grilling book. it’s the best.

2tbsp 7-mi, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup sesame oil, 1-2 tsp salt. mix well. marinade them wings for a few hours and then grill baby grill!!! do reserve some marinade for basting while grilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

You might like hotpot like shabu shabu or something and then use the ponzu for dipping sauce... ponzu is also good as a topping for rice porridge (okayu) which is fairly easy to make.

Both the ponzu or the soy sauce would be tasty on just good quality silken tofu served chilled, maybe with some chopped scallions (hiyayakko).

For udon you can certainly put them in a soup with whatever you like. We eat a lot of curry udon in my house, and that's pretty easy if you can get Japanese curry roux.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The hot pot's a bit difficult unfortunately, since I don't have a portable burner at the moment. It's definitely something I want to try in the future though. Silken tofu is available in a couple of shops at least. I've also seen a bunch of those S&B Golden Curry packs around, if that's what you're referring to. Curry udon looks delicious, gonna have to make that soon!