Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Paper Clip Death posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

The hot pot's a bit difficult unfortunately, since I don't have a portable burner at the moment. It's definitely something I want to try in the future though. Silken tofu is available in a couple of shops at least. I've also seen a bunch of those S&B Golden Curry packs around, if that's what you're referring to. Curry udon looks delicious, gonna have to make that soon!

You can definitely do a hot pot in just a normal pot on the stove and it'll still be yummy even though it's not exactly the same.
S&B golden curry will work perfectly for curry udon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Development posted:

real talk I can’t stop grilling 7-mi chicken wings. from the ono and salat grilling book. it’s the best.

2tbsp 7-mi, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup sesame oil, 1-2 tsp salt. mix well. marinade them wings for a few hours and then grill baby grill!!! do reserve some marinade for basting while grilling.

What kind of charcoal do you use for your grill?

I picked up binchotan and have yet to successfully ignite it; afterwards I learned poo poo takes like 30 minutes to get going and another 30 to be at cooking temp.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

That Old Ganon posted:

I picked up binchotan and have yet to successfully ignite it; afterwards I learned poo poo takes like 30 minutes to get going and another 30 to be at cooking temp.

I'd imagine a few strips of magnesium would light it right up. :science:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

That Old Ganon posted:

kishu white binchotan from korin! Yes, it is hard to light. We actually use our pellet grill to do it (instead of a chimney cuz we don’t have one), and put the binchotan lighter pan right on top of the flame. once they’re a nice red, we throw them into the konro and use a small small sized vornado to keep it going. the vornado is a game changer to help getting to temp and easier to manage than just a hand fan. ryan at Needle in LA does this trick and we haven’t looked back.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Development posted:

kishu white binchotan from korin! Yes, it is hard to light. We actually use our pellet grill to do it (instead of a chimney cuz we don’t have one), and put the binchotan lighter pan right on top of the flame. once they’re a nice red, we throw them into the konro and use a small small sized vornado to keep it going. the vornado is a game changer to help getting to temp and easier to manage than just a hand fan. ryan at Needle in LA does this trick and we haven’t looked back.

Yo, toss me a link to to your grill and charcoal if you can. I need more outdoor cooking stuff to keep in my parents' garage because I live in a 3rd floor apartment :v:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Annath posted:

Yo, toss me a link to to your grill and charcoal if you can. I need more outdoor cooking stuff to keep in my parents' garage because I live in a 3rd floor apartment :v:

sure, all the things you need can be had here: https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

I got the small grill, a base, an extra grill net, a lighter pan and the binchotan from that page.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

hallo spacedog posted:

You can definitely do a hot pot in just a normal pot on the stove and it'll still be yummy even though it's not exactly the same.

It somehow didn't occur to me, but yeah, why not. I'll try to remember to report back once I get around to trying these suggestions out!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Development posted:

sure, all the things you need can be had here: https://www.korin.com/grillware/konros-basket-grills-nets-and-bases

I got the small grill, a base, an extra grill net, a lighter pan and the binchotan from that page.

Fantastic!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Any recommendations on online places (US based) to order ingredients outside of just getting pantry staples from amazon? Right now I'm just limited to whatever Kroger and Albertson have and beyond that I'd have to drive to SLC (3 hours).

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

kirtar posted:

Any recommendations on online places (US based) to order ingredients outside of just getting pantry staples from amazon? Right now I'm just limited to whatever Kroger and Albertson have and beyond that I'd have to drive to SLC (3 hours).

Is there something in particular you're looking for?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

kirtar posted:

The Rice Factory NY
Toiro LA
The Japanese Pantry
Goldmine Natural Foods

e: for fish and want it shipped to you: yama seafood (NY)

I got to meet Nancy Hachisu on her Japan - The Vegetarian cookbook tour and she rules hard. Like a Japanese grandmother stuck in a white lady's body. Lots of energy with some spiciness.

I can't recommend her beautiful book enough. Some of the recipes do need some effort to source (can be found at the sources above), but are well worth it.

kaki no shira-ae (persimmon and apple shira-ae)

moyashi to daikon no karashi-ae (mustard-flavoured bean sprouts and daikon)

kyuuri no shouga-zu (cucumber in ginger vinegar)

serori no shio kinpira (celery kinpira with salt)

Development fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 30, 2023

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

captkirk posted:

Is there something in particular you're looking for?

Still figuring out a full list, but for now I need to restock dried shiitake, dashi packets, soba and/or udon, and curry stuff. I'd probably go ahead and restock rice and soy sauce if I'm putting in an order anyways even if I can get Calrose and Kikkoman locally.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm sick with the flu so I went and got ingredients to make some miso soup.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sorry to double post but what exactly is the Proper Way of making Miso? Particularly like mine where I want to add stuff (Mushrooms, Onions, etc).

Is this correct?
1. Make Dashi (put konbu in cold water for ~30mins, then bring to a simmer for 15 minutes with bonito flakes, turn off the heat and strain)
2. Add in my ingredients (half a sliced onion, enoki mushrooms, shitake mushrooms (not dried)) simmer for 15 minutes?
3. Turn off heat, mix in my miso after waiting a minute to cool a little.
4. Add scallions. (doing tofu-less miso for calorie watching reasons) (Could I also add seseme seed oil here or should it be during one of the previous simmer phases?)
5. Osomatsu.

I know some suggestions are 12-24 hours for the konbu, but I want it now. :mad:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Some new East Asian supermarket has opened up in town that has a pretty good Japanese section and apparently they're going to sell Natto but they haven't got their fridges up and running yet so I can't get any and I'm FUMING

I tried Natto about 15 years ago and didn't like it but my palate has changed so much as I've grown up so I wanna try it again and see if I like it now.

I remember being told by someone to put it on toast if I don't enjoy it too much outright but idk. Anyone else got some good Natto recipes to help ease me into eating it?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I enjoy it just mixed with rice. Maybe a dash of soy sauce.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sorry to double post but what exactly is the Proper Way of making Miso? Particularly like mine where I want to add stuff (Mushrooms, Onions, etc).

Is this correct?
1. Make Dashi (put konbu in cold water for ~30mins, then bring to a simmer for 15 minutes with bonito flakes, turn off the heat and strain)
2. Add in my ingredients (half a sliced onion, enoki mushrooms, shitake mushrooms (not dried)) simmer for 15 minutes?
3. Turn off heat, mix in my miso after waiting a minute to cool a little.
4. Add scallions. (doing tofu-less miso for calorie watching reasons) (Could I also add seseme seed oil here or should it be during one of the previous simmer phases?)
5. Osomatsu.

I know some suggestions are 12-24 hours for the konbu, but I want it now. :mad:

The recipe is good. I would try simmering the mushrooms less than the onion, I like six minutes for a somewhat firmer texture. You can also marinate mushrooms for a few hours in soy sauce and sesame oil.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've always been told to remove the kombu before the water starts bubbling since it can add bitterness if you boil it. I've never experimented to see if it's true.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
First, you’re making misoshiru or miso soup using miso someone else made. You can make your own miso too but it’s a lot more involved (see the fermentation thread).

But yeah that’s a good general purpose recipe.

For dashi, you can steep the kombu (and/or dried shiitake) anywhere from overnight in cold water to no time at all, and then simmer it for anywhere from 0-30m. You can add niboshi/iriko or katsuobushi anywhere during simmering or add it at the end as the stock cools. Any combination of these 4 ingredients and preparations is a legit dashi someone makes in some region of Japan, try em out and see which you like. I like to steep my kombu and especially dried shiitake (if I’m using it) overnight and then strain them out, heat the stock to near-boiling, kill the heat and steep a poo poo ton of katsuobushi in it for 5 minutes or so and then strain for the most delicate dashi. But everyday dashi I put the kombu in as I heat the pan of water and when it gets to a boil I toss in a less-extravagant amount of katsuobushi and simmer for 3-5” and strain and it’s almost as good. I rarely make niboshi dashi but when I do it’s usually just niboshi simmered alone for 15 min or so.

Once you’ve got your dashi, technically speaking you just need to stir in your preferred variety of miso (again there are tons and they are all used somewhere in Japan and they are all different and delicious) and you’re done. But in practice yes you should put 2-4 things in there first, and cook them for however long it will take to get your preferred texture (which might be different for different things). Traditionally you want an even balance of things that sink (tofu, for example) and things that float (like wakame). You can also quickly fry some of these things in a small amount of oil and then add the dashi and optionally some dashes of shoyu or sake, I pretty frequently make an Andoh recipe for hatcho miso soup that has you fry little slivers of onion and potato as the things (and garnish with chives).

After your cooked things are your preferred doneness, you stir in miso and add any things that don’t need to be cooked (sesame oil, wakame, mitsuba, scallion, etc etc).

So anyway yeah there is no one true way of making miso soup because there is not just one kind of miso soup people eat. But your steps do fall into the normally accepted way of doing things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks y'all this is very helpful. :)

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I buy the dashi miso and just pour some hot water in it v:shobon:v

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I wanna maybe try adding ginger and garlic to miso soup, is it like slices of ginger/whole garlic without smashing/cutting or should i chop them up more? I know for like ramen I think garlic and ginger gets added when making broth in a similar way.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

is this even miso soup anymore

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Neither of those are common ingredients in miso soup and garlic is barely used in Japanese cooking at all.

So go nuts, do whatever you want.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Development posted:

is this even miso soup anymore

I'm sick with the flu and basically adding medicinal ingredients now that I've got the basics; I picked miso soup as the most at a glance keto compliant.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

thanksgiving: fish, it's what's for dinner.

new zealand madai:

ora king salmon:

hokkaido U10 scallops:

very lorge, relative to blocks

I had to actually split it in half; one scallop = 2 nigiri

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm sick with the flu and basically adding medicinal ingredients now that I've got the basics; I picked miso soup as the most at a glance keto compliant.

Food isn't medicine, while some foods can have a health effect on the body, it's usually in quantities or durations far exceeding your typical meal.

Also, keto isn't recommended for people who are acutely ill.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Development posted:

thanksgiving: fish, it's what's for dinner.

this all looks good but those scallops are ridiculous!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Scythe posted:

this all looks good but those scallops are ridiculous!

Agreed, I'm so jealous

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Annath posted:

Food isn't medicine, while some foods can have a health effect on the body, it's usually in quantities or durations far exceeding your typical meal.

Also, keto isn't recommended for people who are acutely ill.

I think you're reading more into the statement then intended. The point is not "this will cure me" but to increase the effect of "soup helps alleviate symptoms", so adding garlic to the soup helps enhance the soothing factor of the soup, nothing more. Also I like garlic.

For keto a brief google suggests the opposite, I don't see anything anywhere to suggests it's a bad idea. Regardless I'm not doing the eat 4000kcal of bacon thing if that's what you mean? I eat typically a very healthy diet whose macros are structured around hitting the keto targets with my fat coming from like, salmon from my protein and guacamole and olive oil from my salad. Which I haven't really done since getting sick my diet is just like a bowl of miso everyday and a bowl of plain yogurt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also would like the enormous scallop.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also want the scallop. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That's not a scallop, it's a chicken breast.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's not a scallop, it's a chicken breast.

chicken breast nigiri :dogbutton:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

If I wanna maybe try adding ginger and garlic to miso soup, is it like slices of ginger/whole garlic without smashing/cutting or should i chop them up more? I know for like ramen I think garlic and ginger gets added when making broth in a similar way.

It depends on how punchy/intense you want the flavor to be. If you want a blast flavor, add some smashed, minced, or microplaned right at the end. If you want something a little mellower, simmer large pieces when making the broth. Another interesting twist would be to make an aroma oil like you would for ramen. Fry aromatics like garlic, onion, scallion, ginger at a low temperature in some kind of tasty fat until golden and nutty smelling. Add a spoonful when serving.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Thoht posted:

It depends on how punchy/intense you want the flavor to be. If you want a blast flavor, add some smashed, minced, or microplaned right at the end. If you want something a little mellower, simmer large pieces when making the broth. Another interesting twist would be to make an aroma oil like you would for ramen. Fry aromatics like garlic, onion, scallion, ginger at a low temperature in some kind of tasty fat until golden and nutty smelling. Add a spoonful when serving.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of going for! So far I just put them in to simmer as like whole pieces, along with some salmon cubes, very tasty, first time basically have poached salmon.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002
I'm in Hiroshima right now and fell in love with Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. Going to teach myself how to make it at home. I did also pick up a new rice cooker and electric griddle. I know the griddle is probably not hot enough to make it perfectly but I'll give it my damnedest.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Why would it not be? I have made them in a normal pan before.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is it possible to steep konbu for two long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it possible to steep konbu for two long?

Yes, I usually shoot for 3 long :v:

(I don't actually know the answer to the question)