Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Whats a good entry level sake for cooking and occasional sipping?

Yaegaki. It's like $4 for a 750ml bottle and is actually very drinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd like to know as well. All my searches before turned out pretty fruitless. Seems like everybody just buys bulldog.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

What is Japanese parsley? Is curly parsley a reasonable substitute or is the flavor completely off?

Also does anyone have any good grill recipes? :)

Presumably it's Mitsuba. Curly parsley won't really be the same. You could try celery leaf or watercress as a substitute.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

gently caress yeah, okos are one of my favorite pig-out foods. Looks great!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Lol, what?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I mean seriously, anyone who has worked with marinating/brining/wet curing/corning extensively can tell you that that is patently and obviously false.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

So they're saying that marinades do not penetrate far except for ones heavy in salt (for example, a soy based marinade such as the one the poster you responded to used). I can see that, though I would probably never use a marinade that *wasn't* effectively a brine so the point is moot for me. Also, the maximum marinating time in that second article was 30 minutes so the result shouldn't be too surprising. And I can absolutely attest to the penetration of brines. At a restaurant I worked at, if the corned lamb hadn't been in its brine for long enough, you would have a pink ring on the outside 50% or so where the cure had gotten to and a grey center. At another one where I would marinate 1-2" wide chunks of beef in soy/sake/mirin/garlic/ginger to be ground for jerkey, the beef was noticeably denser and darker all the way through when I cut into it the next day and the ground mix would be flavored uniformly, implying the flavoring had in fact penetrated to the center.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The other day we were boiling a pig's head for head cheese and the broth was so thick and milky. I think if someone made ramen stock with a pig's head and garnished with the cheeks I would be in heaven.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Both the amount of salt and the time will influence how fast moisture is lost. You don't need the paper towels, you can just set it on top of a rack or something perforated so it doesn't end up sitting in its own juice. And honestly, it doesn't really matter if it does, you just need to rinse it once it's as cured as you want it to be. Whenever I've made gravlax I just wrapped it in plastic. You don't need to freeze it. That's just to preserve the quality of whatever you're not eating in the next few days. If the skin is hard to cut through you should probably sharpen your knife.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, it's more like "dry brining" a turkey, if that makes sense.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Most brined fermented pickles will take at least a week to get appropriately sour. It can be as little as 3-4 days or as much as a couple weeks depending on ambient temperature. That's why you usually want to do a fairly sizeable batch. Luckily for you, you can ferment in pretty much any food-safe container and something to keep everything submerged (plastic bag filled with brine works well). Bar Tartine, a restaurant with probably one of the most intense fermentation programs in the US, does most of theirs in food grade 5 gallon buckets with airlocks.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd like to try my hand at making soba from scratch. Anybody got any good videos/sites giving a good rundown of the finer points? I've made plenty of pasta, ramen, and udon before.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Love that post/avatar combo.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

al-azad posted:

I can never get the prized milky white tonkotsu stock, it always comes out brown no matter how much I blanch and clean the bones. Next time I try it I'm peeling off the skin from the trotters and omitting the vegetables. My guess is the charred veggies are ruining the color so I'll mix like 2:1 ratio of pork stock to vegetable stock.

Don't peel the skin off, it adds body. You don't need to omit the veggies, just don't char them. Just sweat them or leave them raw if you want a white broth. Also what veggies specifically are you using?

quote:

I don't put veggies in a gravy so why would I here?

Because the flavor the veggies add from being simmered in the curry are part of the Japanese Curry flavor you know and love. It won't taste the same without it, which it sounds like maybe you're ok with.

But also, eat your goddamn vegetables.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I have a drat rice cooker, this is what's giving me the shits! I can cook literally any kind of rice but sushi rice and it's frigging perfect. But it doesn't seem to matter how much water I put in there with the grains (I've been up to 1.5:1), it ends up loving burnt! I'm a competent cook, but Japanese rice makes me feel like a complete imbecile.

If my god-drat poo poo-loving rice cooker can't get it right, I have no reason to think it's going to be any less stuck-to-the-bottom godawful gross if I do it over a flame, but I suppose this is my only option. I'll just have to baby it I guess.

I mean, there's really no babying to it. You bring it to a boil and then turn your burner down really low. Set a timer, wait, pull it off the heat and fluff it. That's all.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

This? Sounds like they cook the miso to a deep color over a high flame. Not sure how the shop specifically does it but there's many ways you could go about cooking miso until it's really dark.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Most of the high end ramen places in Japan buy fresh noodles from noodle factories, so don't feel bad at all if you'd rather just buy the noodles. If you do want to make them, just buy the kansui instead of doing all that baked baking soda poo poo, it's like 4 bucks or whatever for a bottle that'll last you forever. Right now for 4 portions of noodles I do 300g flour (bread flour works best for me, but AP is fine), 1/2C water, 1 1/4 tsp kansui and it works pretty well. Combine the water and kansui, put the flour in a food processor and with the processor running stream the water in through the top. The dough will look like yellow sand and won't come together in the machine. Transfer to a bowl and press it together into a ball. It will feel very dry and stiff, much moreso than the pasta you're used to. Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. This does two things: first, you're allowing the flour to fully hydrate and second, you're giving the gluten time to relax so you can actually work with the dough. Once it's rested, knead it a few times by hand. It will still be very stiff and dry but you'll be surprised just how quickly it starts to become smooth. Let it rest again for another 15 minutes or more and set up your pasta roller (you could in theory roll it by hand but it's going to be one hell of a goddamn workout). Cut the dough in two and flatten them out enough so that they won't choke up your roller. What you're now going to do is essentially knead the dough with your roller instead of by hand. Feed the dough through on the lowest speed and thickest setting, then the second thickest and repeat with the second piece of dough. Now fold the dough in half lengthwise and roll it again the same way (thickest setting, then second thickest), you're going to do this at least 3 or 4 times total until the dough feels silky smooth and looks uniform. Once it's silky, roll it out to your desired thickness (I like #4 on the kitchenaid pasta attachment). Cut the long sheets into 12 inch sections (or however long you want your noodles to be), trim off the raggedy edges, cut the sheets with a pasta cutter for spaghetti and toss the noodles with a little cornstarch to keep them from sticking. You're done! These noodles cook extremely quickly (maybe a minute or less) so be sure not to overcook them. They should still seem a bit underdone when you strain them out because the hot broth will continue to cook them some.

I won't get into the broth too much other than to say it doesn't have to be as involved a process as you might think. Sure you can labor over a tonkotsu broth for days at a time if you really want to but you can also just simmer a couple chicken thighs with some onion, garlic and dried shiitake until they're tender, steep kombu and katsuobushi in the simmering liquid for a few minutes and season generously with salt and a splash of soy and you've got a really solid shio ramen. Or even easier, take some storebought stock or even just water and stir in miso and instant dashi powder and season with salt and soy sauce. Serve it with some cut up tofu, noodles, green onions, sesame seeds and some flavorful oil, maybe some seaweed or bamboo shoots too if you're feeling it. Very little active effort involved (especially if you have access to good quality fresh noodles), super quick and I guarantee it'll be drat tasty. Really the most important part is just making sure your broth is pretty aggressively seasoned so that it balances out the mildness of the noodles and other ingredients.

Hope that helps!

Thoht fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 27, 2017

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If your meat is half-frozen it's much easier to get it really thin. Also having a really sharp knife helps. Or a deli slicer. Mandoline won't really work.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hell yeah, dude. Looks great.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Thought for sure the link would be to this.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They're really good, one of my favorite mushrooms. Sear them hard until they're golden brown and crisping and finish them by basting with butter and thyme.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think you'll be fine with just white.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The way I've cooked octopus before:
- Massage with salt for a few minutes.
- Let it sit with the salt for maybe 10 more minutes.
- Blanch in boiling water for just a minute or so to remove some of the scumminess.
- Simmer in a separate broth for a little under 2 hours (I think? It's been a few years. But yeah simmer it a good long while).
- It should be fully tender at that point. If it goes too long, it'll start to fall apart.
Hope that helps!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think the tamagoyaki looks pretty good. There's no browning, at least.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Can't help you with that but make sure you mix up an oolong hai while you're at it. They're dope!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd try switching in white miso for red miso (it's a bit sweeter and less salty) and dialing back on the amount. I'd also skip the bean sauce because that stuff is pretty drat salty too. I'm guessing a good amount of the thickness you're remembering comes from the gelatin and pork fat in the broth. If you don't have the inclination to do the full on broth process you can always doctor yours up with gelatin, like kirtar said.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I enjoyed Katsukura for tonkatsu. You can choose the breed of pig!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That's a sweet price. I love matsutake.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I do a cold water start with the kombu, bring slowly to 140F, remove kombu, bring to 176F, add katsuo and steep for 1.5 minutes.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

My method for measuring is pretty darn easy. For the rice, fill a cup (measuring cup, glass, coffee mug, whatever) almost to the top with rice and, for the water, fill the same cup (minus the rice) all the way to the top.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

Agree with this whole heatedly. Also for the most part cooking Japanese food you can use one single Japanese soy sauce and don't need two.

Yeah, Yamasa ftw. I pretty regularly use both the usukuchi and regular, but you're probably fine with just regular.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I used to do usukuchi and regular but I do mainly shinmi now

Oh cool, never tried shinmi before. How would you describe it?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I bought gochu jang a few months ago and have never used it. What do I do with it?

Spicy tteokbokki is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

If I wanna maybe try adding ginger and garlic to miso soup, is it like slices of ginger/whole garlic without smashing/cutting or should i chop them up more? I know for like ramen I think garlic and ginger gets added when making broth in a similar way.

It depends on how punchy/intense you want the flavor to be. If you want a blast flavor, add some smashed, minced, or microplaned right at the end. If you want something a little mellower, simmer large pieces when making the broth. Another interesting twist would be to make an aroma oil like you would for ramen. Fry aromatics like garlic, onion, scallion, ginger at a low temperature in some kind of tasty fat until golden and nutty smelling. Add a spoonful when serving.