Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I've been curious about Japanese cooking and snack foods for some time now, but (AFAIK since I haven't done a lot of looking or asking around) there aren't any real good Japanese/Asian markets in my immediate area and all the grocery stores that have Asian food aisles don't have much to begin with outside of the usual rice noodles, soy sauce, panko, and Pocky. Outside of third-party sellers on Amazon who seem to charge $5 for shipping (which probably isn't bad assuming you buy a lot from one seller), are there any good sites to buy Japanese food and ingredients from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

bringmyfishback posted:

Where are you located?
In a small town in California's Central Valley (aka the agricultural area of the state). I actually live a few hours from the Bay Area, which I know has some pretty good Asian markets, but I don't want to use up gas to go there just to go shopping for Japanese food stuff. I do go to Salinas every week or so for family stuff, but the Asian markets there I found on Yelp are too far off my usual path, and/or close at 5 PM, which is about the time I usually start headed home. But, if any goons know of any good places in that area, I'll take recommendations. :)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

ladyweapon posted:

Depending on how far you are from Modesto, this asian market is legit (as is the pho place in the same parking lot).
Thanks! I'll probably check out the place in Modesto since that's the closest that I've seen. A couple people in the comments section on bringmyfishback's link mentioned Stockton and Modesto, but those are a little farther off than I'd like (although everything feels far around here since the towns and cities are pretty spread out). Still, it's good to have an idea of where these stores are located so I can check them out whenever I'm in the area.

Stottie Kyek posted:

It's been floating around the Internet a while but the recipes from Cooking with Dog are actually really good - I tried the mochi and okonomiyaki recipes and they turned out nice. And the show's hosted by a big grey poodle.
I discovered Cooking With Dog a few days ago and I've been watching these episodes like crazy... Earlier today I saw the recipe for Daigakuimo and it looks like something that would be super easy to get the ingredients for since it's pretty much sweet potatoes (I assume any sweet potato would work?), sugar, oil, and black sesame seeds.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
A while back, I posted a question in this thread about getting access to Japanese food when the closest Japanese/Asian stores are many miles away. Well, yesterday I finally signed a lease and got the keys for a room I'll be renting out in San Jose, Ca. As it turns out, the building the room is in is about a three minute drive away from a Japanese grocery store that I ended up stopping at on the way home. I ended up buying a bag of Green Tea Kit-Kats everyone seems to rave about as well as a bag of Kasugai Melon Gummies (those were amazing by the way :) ).

With that said, the landlord only allows for light cooking, meaning microwave and little/no use of a portable electric stove for all cooking. So, now that I have easy access to imported ingredients, what are some good Japanese dishes that I can make for cheap (or close to cheap since import food can still be a little pricey compared to domestic food) and doesn't require a ton of prep and/or stove/microwave use? Along the same line, what are some other good Japanese snacks/treats that don't have to be refrigerated since I'd like to have something to keep in my room in case of midnight snack cravings, and not knowing my roommates and how trustworthy they are with a shared fridge? I tried finding the dried squid Arino from Game Center CX eats, but I didn't find anything that looks like the cylinder container the brand he eats uses.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Sex Hobbit posted:

Okonomiyaki can be made on an electric griddle if those are ok. Eggs, water, flour, cabbage, bacon, sauce. There are mix kits you can buy but it's not really necesssary.

Pineapple is the true king of the kasugai gummies.
That sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna head back up there in a day or two, so I can pick up a bottle of the okonomiyaki sauce and try it at my soon-to-be-former place.

Tendales posted:

Like 99% of the stuff they make on Cooking With Dog is done on a tiny little single burner portable stove, so there's a wealth of ideas waiting for you there.
I was thinking this earlier today, and plan on checking out a few of their videos tonight once I start to wind down before going to bed. Plus, I'm sure there are plenty of other Japanese recipe YouTube channels that I can check out (although I doubt that they're as charming and/or fun to watch as CWD).

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Follow-up question to my last few posts... Would the okonomiyaki sauce usually be located with other cooking/food sauces? I went back to the Japanese grocery store the other day after dropping off some stuff at my new place, and I looked up and down the cooking sauce/oil aisles, but couldn't find it at all. I even looked in a few other spots where it might be, but didn't see any indication that they even sell it. :confused:

Also, Sex Hobbit, those pinapple kasugai gummies are freaking amazing. I might end up buying one bag of each flavor because so far I've been nothing but impressed with them. :) I also tried squid jerky for the first time, which I'm not as impressed with. I do like seafood taste, but holy gently caress there really can be too much of a good thing. I'll still finish off the bag since it's not super gross, but I'll probably never try it again.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
About a year and a half ago ago, I posted ITT that I was moving to the Bay Area where I would be closer to Asian/Japanese stores compared to where I used to live. I never did much in terms of cooking/eating Japanese food outside of snack stuff that I can eat out of the bag and/or stuff cooked in restaurants, but the other day I got inspired when (for whatever reason) I started watching/rewatching Japanese food tutorials/recipes on YouTube and felt like making okonomiyaki, which I've never had before and was suggested by another goon way back then who said it's one of the fastest/easiest things to make. Today, I went by this really good Japanese store that I live near and found (I'm waiting to get my next paycheck in a couple days before buying since I'm pretty low on funds right now :( ) that they had everything to make it (including the flour for okonomiyaki, which I assumed would be hard to find) that I can't find at regular grocery stores.

With this knowledge, I'm wondering if I can make a really basic okonomiyaki with the batter, cabbage mixed in, the sauce, and Japanese mayo to top it? A lot of the recipes I see call for stuff like pork belly/bacon and benito flakes (some people say one or both of these are required, while others make me think they're optional), but I'd like to try to keep it as simple as possible for my first okonomiyaki to see if I like it and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

They're optional, but once you make a good okonomiyaki with bacon and bonito flakes, you will realize that they are, indeed, required

al-azad posted:

Great thing about okonomiyaki is that it's whatever you want it to be. The name roughly means "cooked the way you like" and all the different varieties go nuts. Hiroshima style particularly doesn't mix the ingredients into the batter and is instead like a layered open face sandwich with a crepe on the bottom.

The batter is the requirement, that's what separates it from simple stir fry. You want something salty and something savory but everything else is icing.

I'm kind of surprised it's not more popular in the States. "Hibachi grill" restaurants are popular nearly everywhere but I can't recall seeing okonomiyaki on any menu despite these places having the perfect setup.
Awesome, thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong in trying my first okonomiyaki in what I assume it's most purest/basic form without spending money on extra toppings and fillings right away that I might not end up using if I don't like them (although since a lot of recipes use the same toppings and fillings, I imagine those are the best ones to use down the road).