Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

TheKingslayer posted:

The cookbook recs were awesome y'all and I've been enjoying them so far. But one more question, is there a good book on Japanese drinking culture/cocktails I could get to go along with these?

I don't have a book rec unfortunately though this one looks cool:
https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Art-Cocktail-Masahiro-Urushido/dp/0358362024

But I will say beer, shochu, whiskey, and sake absolutely DOMINATE drinking in Japan in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I mean it makes so much absolute sense that suntory bought Jim Beam, this is the overarching vibe of Japanese drinking imo. Ngl I miss it in many ways as 90% of what I like to drink nowadays is regular beer, cheap bourbon and whiskey, shochu and soju anyway.

Edit: oh man how did this humble little thread get to 69 pages.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 27, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Heath posted:

I figure this thread might know, but I'm wondering if there is any good way to remove scratching from lacquer dishware? I have a nice wood lacquer plate that I washed with a sponge but it left some streaky minor scratches on the surface of it that I'd like to polish out. Is there a good compound for that?

Supposedly if it's actually lacquered you can rub your hands over it for a few days in a row and it will fix it? Sounds weird but that's what the Internet is telling me

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Development posted:

sushi kuiineeee

fish in pic: kinmedai, shima-aji, miyabi tai

nigiri: bluefin tuna, miyabi tai, shima-aji

kinmedai was cooked on a konro and devoured immediately, no pics

gently caress that looks amazing

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Annath posted:

Question:

I have some chicken thighs I want to throw in some curry. I have the Golden Curry roux blocks, but I'm looking for something interesting to add.

In the past I've used things like green bell peppers, carrots, even diced potatoes.

I certainly don't mind just doing that again, it's always tasty, but are there any other veggies (or other meats!) to try?

Onion, carrots and potatoes are kind of the standard additons but you can experiment. Some people put green peas too.

I like mine with Japanese sweet potato or kabocha squash or mushrooms . You could probably do eggplant, I bet that would be good.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I've seen it called white cabbage or winter cabbage or something before.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's almost soumen season

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah if it's not fuzzy it's fine. I've never seen it go off. I have some miso that is five or six years old (plus was aged three years before it was sold).

There is a kind that has dashi mixed in and I'm unclear if that changes the lifespan of it. I wouldn't buy it anyway.

It shouldn't. I too have ancient miso in the fridge at all times.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arglebargle III posted:

I bought gochu jang a few months ago and have never used it. What do I do with it?

spicy pork stir fry

Or many of the other stuff on that same website

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Miso is really heat sensitive, you wouldn't want to put it in cooking rice because it would destroy the flavor. You could put a little on some already cooked rice though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

jawbroken posted:

this isn't true, miso is regularly heated (e.g. miso soup). there's a variety of unsupported claims online about various temperatures and “probiotics” but generally the flavour survives heating well

That's what I was always told in Japan is the reason it's added at the very end before serving

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That Old Ganon posted:

There's a kimchi fried rice recipe on Just One Cookbook, and I have a question.

Kimchi doesn't really go bad, does it? I have a jar of it that's been in the refrigerator for a while, but it's sitting against the back of the fridge and was probably frozen all this time.

I don't know why the fridge freezes stuff in the back. The one time I tried to make it less cold it leaked all over the floor :mad:

IIRC if you have too much stuff towards the back of the fridge it messes up the air circulation and will freeze some stuff. I could be wrong though. Same thing happens to us sometimes.

Anyway - I don't think so? It changes in taste and becomes kinda sourish but I don't think it goes bad unless it gets moldy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Used organic purple carrots in today's miso soup and ended up with purple soup, lol.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sorry that I don't have a rec in this department. I actually just replaced mine but it was with a non stick Korean pan I found at H Mart for $9. The handle isn't completely straight but it works pretty well

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Paper Clip Death posted:

So I went to a local Japanese shop and ended up buying some dried udon noodles, some yuzu ponzu sauce, and a tiny bottle of nama-shoyu (I think that's it? They were pressing raw soy sauce and said it was the stuff I bought.) on a whim. They're artisanal/organic/whatever, so not exactly inexpensive, and I'd like to do the ingredients some justice and showcase them somehow. What should I do with them? I was going to try the sauces for gyoza dipping, but I'm curious about other options as well. Udon in some sort of broth maybe? All suggestions welcome!

Do you have access to other general Japanese ingredients or not really? That will probably determine what I'd recommend doing

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

You might like hotpot like shabu shabu or something and then use the ponzu for dipping sauce... ponzu is also good as a topping for rice porridge (okayu) which is fairly easy to make.

Both the ponzu or the soy sauce would be tasty on just good quality silken tofu served chilled, maybe with some chopped scallions (hiyayakko).

For udon you can certainly put them in a soup with whatever you like. We eat a lot of curry udon in my house, and that's pretty easy if you can get Japanese curry roux.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Paper Clip Death posted:

Thanks for the suggestions!

The hot pot's a bit difficult unfortunately, since I don't have a portable burner at the moment. It's definitely something I want to try in the future though. Silken tofu is available in a couple of shops at least. I've also seen a bunch of those S&B Golden Curry packs around, if that's what you're referring to. Curry udon looks delicious, gonna have to make that soon!

You can definitely do a hot pot in just a normal pot on the stove and it'll still be yummy even though it's not exactly the same.
S&B golden curry will work perfectly for curry udon.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Scythe posted:

this all looks good but those scallops are ridiculous!

Agreed, I'm so jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

All of that looks amazing. I love Oden but it's a hard dish to make photogenic. Looks so good though