Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Taking a stab at the Serious Eats Food Lab Tonkotsu Ramen. About halfway through with working on the broth:

Mainly using only pork trotters and bones, around 6lbs in total.

Charred up some onions, garlic, and ginger.

Not pictured, but I already parboiled the bones and drained the first set of water. The goal here is to remove a lot of the blood and dark marrow that can contribute to a much darker color than usual. I also rinsed and washed the bones to remove any remaining dark spots.

I'm using less fatback (around 0.5lbs) than recommended, and could only find salted so I also gave it a good wash before adding it to the pot.

Around three hours in, the fatback wasn't quite tender enough so I left it in for another 45 min.

Hour four, removing the fatback.

After six hours, I've already removed and stored the fatback. It's starting to take on a nice color and aroma as well. The fat droplets which were more dispersed earlier have started to collate and clump together.

Starting to roast the chashu in a mirin/soy suace/sake mixture with added shallots, garlic, ginger, and scallions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Ramen was mostly a success!

In the end I barely had enough broth for five bowls, and I felt I under seasoned it a bit. The color was also a bit off. When I strained it the night before it had a great, creamy off-white color. However, after I chilled it over night before serving it the next day it got much browner. I'm not sure what caused this to be honest, but it's a bit frustrating.

Chashu turned out amazing! It was seriously the best component of the dish.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

himajinga posted:

I'm trying this recipe this weekend! I'll post photos as I go along. How thoroughly did you scrape out the marrow out of curiosity?

I wasn't able to get the trotters cut up by the butcher, so I couldn't get all of the marrow, but I did the best that I could. Probably why the broth turned out as dark as it did in the end.