Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You can also get Japanese Chili oil which is just Sesame oil with chili in it and it's got a good kick to it. I find mine in the Japanese section of the Asian grocers I use here in Sydney. It's a condiment so it comes in small bottles, but I bet you could make your own too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

shankerz posted:

Recommend any brands? This sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

The one I buy is House Shokuhin. No idea where you are located for availability, but that's the only one that I've tried because it's the only one I've seen on the shelves where I shop. It's spicy though!

http://www.myasiangrocer.com.au/house-shokuhin-chili-oil-30ml/

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I just came across this teriyaki chicken recipe and it looks so amazing. I can't use real booze so I'll probably try aji-mirin and cooking sake and report my findings back to this thread.

That looks really similar to how I make mine. I use the second method because I use skinless thigh meat that I cut into strips, so I seal the meat and then put the sauce on and stirfry it until its become a glaze. I keep a big bottle of homemade teriyaki in my pantry as it keeps really well for a few months. It also goes spectacularly well with duck breasts and Salmon.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sure, I'll post it here as I don't have PM's.
Measurements are all in metric though.

Put 250ml light soy sauce, 200ml mirin, 200ml sake and 80g caster sugar into a saucepan. Heat on low until all the sugar has dissolved then leave it to cool and put it into a bottle to store. It makes about 700ml. Dead easy.

I use about a 1/4 cup of this sauce with about 4 cut up chicken thighs which have been tossed in a teaspoon of cornflour before cooking.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’m on Miyajima island right now watching my Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki being made. Looks good!

eta: it was good, but I think I prefer Osaka-style

Helith fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 6, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would guess that Suntory whisky would be easy to find outside of Japan.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh, I didn’t know that Suntory was really bad, I’m not a whisky drinker so I suggested it because it’s a big brand and I reckoned it’d be easy to find in a lot of countries.
Go with the brands that the others are recommending instead!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The best beer in Japan is the cold one you have at the end of a hot humid day.
Preferably with some Gyozas.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've just bought a block of S&B Golden Curry Hot roux.
Going to make it next week following the package instructions and have my first Japanese curry.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for the tips about the curry, much appreciated.
It doesn’t mention adding apples or honey, which is good as I don’t t have a sweet palate so wouldn’t go for that in general. I’ll definitely use dashi stock as I have some in the pantry and that sounds like a excellent addition. I also have soy and rice vinegar on hand too.
I’ll take a look in my local Japanese shop for yuzu juice and the Mizkan brown rice vinegar, the white rice vinegar I have is Mizkan but I’ll have to look and see if they carry the brown.
I’m going to make it on Tuesday I think.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Adam is fantastic, I have a couple of his cook books and they are great, well written, easy to follow recipes from all over Asia. They've ended up as my go to books for dinner a lot of nights.
I didn't know he had a youtube channel, I've subscribed too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

vulturesrow posted:

Hah I'm actually the opposite. Have watched a fair amount of his YouTube vids but didn't know he had any books (and wasn't sure how legit he was). Any one in particular you recommend?

I have Asian After Work and Adam’s Big Pot which are both pretty old now. I use the latter more. The recipes in both are pan Asian not just Japanese. He has newer books so check those out too, but I’ve stuck with his older ones because I have so many favourite recipes in them.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

vulturesrow posted:

His books aren't super easy to come by apparently.

I'm guessing you aren't Aussie then as they were readily available here though it's easier to find his newer ones. Makes sense that they'd be harder to come by in other countries. Amazon is probably a good call.

Helith fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 12, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I finally made the curry tonight, it was good! Only added using dashi instead of plain water as I wanted to see what it tasted like straight out the box before adding more stuff. I used chicken and added carrot, capsicum and green beans. I stir fried everything separately before adding it all back in and adding the stock. On reflection the green beans didn’t need to go until the end as they got too soft but the chicken and other veg were really nice.
Despite it being HOT version we could have had it far spicier, but Japanese food isn’t really about spice heat so that spice level works to add a little interest without dominating the other flavours.
Will cook again!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australia loves it some pork belly so you can buy it in mainstream supermarkets really easily.
I’m also very lucky in that I have a Japanese food shop in my suburb so I can get frozen pork belly there, sliced to different thicknesses for different dishes as well as a load of other imported Japanese ingredients.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ogarza posted:

Help, I bought one of those 2lb frozen langoustine tails at Costco.

Want some Japanesy suggestion to cook them un bulk so I can just grab some protein the next couple of days, getting ready to go to the beach next month.

Would teriyaki work? Any good recipe for the glaze? Don't want anything breaded or fried.

Maybe poach them in dashi stock, then quickly fry with teriyaki to glaze.

Here's a recipe for teriyaki, it really is the easiest sauce in the world to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKN9y5i7ZP8

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Do you prefer Osaka or Hiroshima style?
That is the only important okonomiyaki question tbh.

Just eat it with lots of sauce and mayo and bonito.

I want okonomiyaki now.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OK, try this then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2Eed0Z2dgM

Adam Liaw is always a good start

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hopper posted:

You guys made me crave okonomyaki... How essential are the tenkasu? I can't get them here and I don't want to deep fry batter just for the one time use.

We do put tenkasu in ours but only because we can buy them from the Japanese supermarket near us. They source them from the nearby Japanese restaurants and sell bags of them for 50c Australian. They also stock pre-made ones from Otafuku. They do add nice texture, but they're not essential. I also get pre-mixed and seasoned okonomiyaki flour from there too but strong bread flour is just as good.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I always make mine with dashi stock.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Do you need constant hot water or would getting an electric kettle and just boiling what you need as you need it work better for you?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

im on the net me boys posted:

Believe me, I have been rolling this over in my mind for multiple months and finally came to the conclusion to purchase one of these appliances.

Fair enough, I’m British Australian so kettles are the norm and I’ve never not had one wherever I’ve lived. They are dirt cheap and efficient.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I tried a new brand of curry roux from my local Japanese food shop

I tried to google it to see if there were translated English instructions as the box is purely in Japanese, but I couldn't find it online anywhere. I made it the same way I make Golden curry and it turned out fine. Luckily the amount of liquid to add was written in western numerals.
I really liked this curry, it was much darker and thicker than golden curry and it's spicier too. Having a bouillon paste as well as the roux blocks really added to the flavour and richness I think.

Quick question: I'd like to try the Java curry next but they only stock the huge boxes. Is it one big roux block in those or is it a multipack with x amount of normal sized blocks inside?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Fromage posted:

Ya there's a few people in the thread who either speak Japanese or can puzzle it out enough to read package instructions.

I did think of using a translate app or asking in here but the translated ingredients label was stuck over half of the instructions and it wasn't coming off cleanly lol.
Thanks everyone though and if I pick up anything else that needs a translation I'll keep you in mind and the app too.

Anyone know the answer to the question I asked about the large boxes of curry roux? I only need to make curry for 2 people at a time.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I went to the Japanese shop and got one of the large boxes of Java curry. It has 2 roux blocks inside so you can either make normal sized curry twice or make one big party size curry. So that answers my earlier question.
Really looking forward to trying the Java hot!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pork belly has to be cooked just right to make it really good. The trick is to get a lot of the fat rendered down so it makes the meat really tender and also to get the skin crisped into great crackling.
It’s one of those things where practice makes perfect and I’ve always found stir fried or simmered pork belly way too fatty personally.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It’s generally roasted in an oven for a few hours and it might take a few tries to perfect. Scoring the skin is essential.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

im on the net me boys posted:

Is there a Japanese Curry gang tag. If not I will make one

Oh hell yes! Curry gang

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hold it by the base and flap it back and forth vigorously to shake it down!
This is why it’s made of such soft plastic

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Agree that it’s hard to get a truly bad meal in Japan. When we were there quite often we would go to the food court in a mall and just pick a place based on what we fancied eating that night eg Ramen, Okonomiyaki, Tonkatsu etc and how amazed we were by their model food display in the window lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Packets of Curry roux.
My Japanese store carries brands you don’t see in the other supermarkets