Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

So I went to a local Japanese shop and ended up buying some dried udon noodles, some yuzu ponzu sauce, and a tiny bottle of nama-shoyu (I think that's it? They were pressing raw soy sauce and said it was the stuff I bought.) on a whim. They're artisanal/organic/whatever, so not exactly inexpensive, and I'd like to do the ingredients some justice and showcase them somehow. What should I do with them? I was going to try the sauces for gyoza dipping, but I'm curious about other options as well. Udon in some sort of broth maybe? All suggestions welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

Do you have access to other general Japanese ingredients or not really? That will probably determine what I'd recommend doing
Whatever you would reasonably be able to get in a mid-sized European city, I'd say. There's a number of stores that specialize in Asian cuisines here. The Japanese shop I mentioned has mostly dry goods like noodles, sauces, drinks and snacks, plus a couple fridges' worth of frozen/cold stuff. Other stores vary in what countries they specialize in, but a handful have at least some Japanese things. Anything super perishable like fresh vegetables is probably going to be hit or miss.

midori-a-gogo posted:

Put the nice shoyu over vanilla ice cream (not kidding)
Oh yeah, I've seen this. Might give it a go!

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

You might like hotpot like shabu shabu or something and then use the ponzu for dipping sauce... ponzu is also good as a topping for rice porridge (okayu) which is fairly easy to make.

Both the ponzu or the soy sauce would be tasty on just good quality silken tofu served chilled, maybe with some chopped scallions (hiyayakko).

For udon you can certainly put them in a soup with whatever you like. We eat a lot of curry udon in my house, and that's pretty easy if you can get Japanese curry roux.

Thanks for the suggestions!

The hot pot's a bit difficult unfortunately, since I don't have a portable burner at the moment. It's definitely something I want to try in the future though. Silken tofu is available in a couple of shops at least. I've also seen a bunch of those S&B Golden Curry packs around, if that's what you're referring to. Curry udon looks delicious, gonna have to make that soon!

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

You can definitely do a hot pot in just a normal pot on the stove and it'll still be yummy even though it's not exactly the same.

It somehow didn't occur to me, but yeah, why not. I'll try to remember to report back once I get around to trying these suggestions out!