Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations for bento veggies? I've done ohitashi, some kinpira, some random roasted veggies and of course blanched broccoli florets but I want some more ideas for some more variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I recently picked up "Preserving the Japanese Way" recently. I did not expect it to be nearly a text book. Definitely going to have to wait to dive into that.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Not what I was thinking of but that's a great bottle.

Babby's first okonomiyaki!

Wait... if you have katsuoboshi how weren't you able to make dashi?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Konbu adds glutamate but not a lot of flavor, so you could get away with using MSG powder or soaking dry shiitake mushrooms in place of konbu (shiitake will change the flavor some of course). Or you could leave it out and just use the katsuoboshi.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations on spice blends for Japanese curry?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
While I was at Uwajimaya, the giant Japanese grocery in Seattle, and I saw some Morimoto branded instant ramen and figured "Cool, I'll give it a try". Looked at the back once I got home and didn't feel like cooking. Fugging 90% of your RDI of Sodium in a package. Maybe I'll save those for a day when my blood pressure isn't already on the high side.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopper posted:

Not sure how new they are as a brewery but after climbing up Mt. Misen these beers were highly welcomed. Especially since everybody else went up by cbale car and down on foot except for the Bavarians...2000+ stone stairs... :negative:

When I went the cable car was under repair and I didn't find out until after I was at the top so my plan of "hike up and then cable car down" failed horribly. It was a good hike up though.

On topic content: I've tried making nimono based on this recipe twice now https://justhungry.com/handbook/cooking-courses/japanese-cooking-101-lesson-3-nimono-simmered-dish-basics and it always seems like the only thing that has flavor is the mushrooms and the onions... which started with all the good flavor to begin with. Anyone have any ideas?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone ever bother buying and using whole katsuobushi? If so, where did you acquire it? Is there information on types or grades or whatever?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

I use Adam Liaw's recipe. You can omit the tenkasu.

https://youtu.be/r2Eed0Z2dgM

His YouTube channel is also very good and he has lots of Japanese home cooking videos and recently posted a heap of in depth ramen videos. He was an Australian lawyer working in Japan then won MasterChef and he is my go to for Japanese cooking.

I didn't know that about him but I subscribe to him even though I will never follow most of his recipes (I'm too lazy to make ramen at home when there are multiple good places a 10 minute walk away). I am currently watching him make an home made higher end tonkatsu sauce.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hey so I picked up a bag of what I thought were some kind of pickled lotus roots etc but now it turns out there are cooking instructions on the back of the package. The only English says:
Prepared Vegetable
Marouka Kinpira Mix Mizuni.

I get that I should saute them, with perhaps a seasoning and soy sauce(?). Please reply quickly my family is being held at gun point and the short ribs will be done in half an hour.

Can't really read anything other than kinpira as your photo appears to be a photo for ants.

But kinpira, heat some sesame oil in the pan, toss the vegetables in, after they are wilted and starting to cook add 2 TBSP mirin, 2 TBSP soy sauce, and 1tsp sugar. Cook it's soften but still has some bit. Remove from the pan, serve up with some sesame seeds and Japanese chili powder.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Any kinpira recipes with Western ingredients aside from carrot? I wanna work with local stuff rather than having to go out of my way to get burdock.

Also, is the sauce always sugary? I prefer savory sauces.

You can use parsnip instead of burdock. Really you're going for a hard, starchy vegetable.

Lots of Japanese food has sugar added to it during cooking. It's pretty normal (mirin is sweetened) but you can cut the sugar if you want, kinpira is just a stir fry so do what you want.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's what I thought would happen, but... It just tasted like ketchup. :shrug:

I checked the Morimoto home cooking cookbook I have. It calls for premade yakisoba sauce.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah and it's necessary, it's not making it sweet. When I first started making Japanese food I cut the sugar out and nothing ever tasted quite right. At some point I tried leaving the sugar again, and everything just clicked. Sugar works as a flavor enhancer like salt when it's in small quantities, and you absolutely miss it if you don't use it.

If it works for you without it, great. But I think it really is necessary if you want it to taste right.

Yeah, tomagoyaki and teriyaki convinced me of the necessity of sugar in Japanese cooking.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopper posted:

I made Chasu tonight and botched it. I followed the recipe exactly but apparently either my simmer was too strong or my weighted lid was not working correctly, sauce boiled down too much and stuff started burning. The sauce is a write off, can't marinate eggs with that but maybe I can salvage the pork, will have to taste it tomorrow.

Does anyone have a simple recipe for a mix to marinate your ramen eggs in if you don't have chaus sauce leftovers?

Aren't ramen eggs normally done in soy sauce? https://www.justonecookbook.com/ramen-egg/

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

virinvictus posted:

Just moved into Arctic Canada. I thought my choices were limited in Northern Ontario, but at least I had sticky rice, miso, and more than just the VH brand of soy sauce. All we have here is above said soy sauce and minute rice. And nobody even knows what miso is. *sigh*

Any Canadians know of any Japanese grocery suppliers that can mail shelf-stable items up North? Amazon.ca gets pretty expensive re: specialty ingredients.

You could try making your own miso! It apparently takes about 30-90 days to ferment up a white miso.

Eeyo posted:

This has probably been asked before, but how long could I keep a bottle of sake for cooking? I’m guessing it’s high enough ABV to not go bad (especially in the fridge), but I’m just curious how long people would keep it around.

I've definitely had bottles of sake for cooking in the fridge for two months before. I've never tossed out a bottle of sake that I use for cooking. There's a ton of uses, quick wash with some sake and salt to help cut the fishy taste of a piece of fish, a quick soak of sake and salt before pan frying shrimp to help with getting color on the shrimp quicker, use it to deglaze pans, etc.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Negi and duck soba is tasty. I've also read references to pickling them. You could do okonomiyaki with a heavy dose of negi.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
That's basically how I served up my duck and negi soba around New year's. Can't let a giant negi go to waste.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Got a copy of The Gaijin Cookbook today. Scanning through it it focuses mostly on protein based dishes, sometimes it's protein featuring vegetables but for all the protestations about Western style diet I saw in the book it looks like it's Japanese food to appeal to Western diets. Over all it seems fine if basic kind of bummed but hopeful for the arrival of the Adam Liaw cookbooks I've ordered.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

angerbeet posted:

:thunk: I don't know what you were expecting?

Fair, I guess I was just disappointed how few vegetable centric dishes were in it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
New cookbooks arrived today (I may have a problem with collecting cookbooks), I got:

* The Zen Kitchen by Adam Liaw
* Washoku by Elizabeth Andoh
* Just Enough by Claire Greenwood

So far I've gotten first impressions of
* Washoku -the first half is reference book on common Japanese ingredients and cooking, recipes that take up the later half seem good though, a little lacking in pictures but I appreciate how there some attention paid to balancing a meal, there are some plating recommendations added to the end of recipes which gives the recipes a feeling of being fussy but the ones I've seen so far don't seem that fussy.
* Just Enough - more narrative than recipe. The introduction put me off because it's a little rambly and transitions from starting to describe what it's like in a Zen monastery to a weird section that contrasts Buddhism against the consumer cycle in a pretty reductionist way and then touches briefly on "the best thing Americans can do for the environment is to stop making Americans" and then onto Trump's Sec of Homeland Security being a white supremecist and how she, the author, struggled with her privilege and cultural appropriation while writing this book. There are no photos of food but the recipes seem decent, I'm not sure if I'm giving it a fair shake because everytime I pause to skim some of the narrative I end up rolling my eyes hard.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I made okonomiyaki for dinner tonight and I *might* have messed up the ratio of cabbage and batter. It does come together very quickly and contains like 3 or 4 serving of vegetables so that's nice at least.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 27, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
You can steam (or just roast) some kabocha (or some butternut squash or acorn squash).

There's also ohitashi, blanched greens steeped in dashi.

If nothing else, slice up some lettuce thin, add a couple of halved cherry tomatoes and top with a little ginger dressing.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Skyarb posted:

So I am making miso ramen and I got fresh shitake mushrooms. How should I prepare the mushrooms? Should I saute them or just slice and throw in soup raw?

I would probably saute them first but I suspect the Japanese cuisine answer would be to just toss them in to soup base before adding miso and cook them a bit that way.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If you want to get as much as you can out of your bonito flakes, save them after straining and get a second pot of water going and make dashi again using the same kombu and bonito. This will be a lighter, less flavorful niban dashi that can be used for stuff that needs some umami and a bit of flavor but doesn't need or suffers under the full dashi flavor.

Portion into cup sized servings, label, and freeze any dashi you won't be using in the next week or so. Dashi is a very quick stock to make but if you're just using a cup at a time for miso soup I always end up with enough I need to freeze to have it not go off before I use it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If anyone wants to cringe for a solid 15 minutes, here's some british food youtubers trying to make sushi as a challege: youtube.com/watch?v=2JJu7RZYQm4

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Edward IV posted:

If you can make the workflow and setup work, you can also just steam rice instead.
https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-steam-rice/

I'm now a big fan of this method since I cook just for myself and now don't have to deal with leftover rice or extra cookware to wash. It's also a really good way to control carb intake since you can cook just one serving and the 40 minutes of prep and cook time will discourage any impulse for extra servings. With a large enough steaming setup, you can also reheat leftovers in lieu of microwaving in addition to using it for recipes that call for steaming.

I don't have this problem. I throw one scope of rice in my Zojirushi, set the timer, scope half out for lunch, scope the second half out for dinner. Rinse the bowl out and repeat the next day,

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Hopper posted:

I am going to make Tonkostu broth on Sunday day using the pressure cooker method to see how it compares to the traditional way.

However, due to Covid I can't get Shitake mushrooms. I have a lot of self-dried porcini mushrooms though. That should work as a substitute right?

It's going to be less effective than dried shiitake (https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6488-mushrooms-porcini-versus-shiitake), but it won't be wrong or anything. Most cuisine throughout history came into being making due with what you got.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Japanese Cooking Thread, what is the best okonomiyaki recipe

Well, you take things as you like... and you fry it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I sometimes buy tenkasu for okonomiyaki but I've only remembered to put it in once. Getting your batter the right consistency and your okonomiyaki the right thickness are bigger issues.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Gyuudon is as simple as oyakodon but I like it much more.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I have a lot of salmon (turns out, buying a salmon share from Sitka Salmon Shares results in a lot of salmon). Any recommendations on a Japanese preparation? Right now I usually do something like.a salmon misoyaki or if I'm really lazy, just bake the salmon, flake it up and then mix in with a spicy mayo to make a rice topping.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

FishBowlRobot posted:

Nanbanzuke is nice. Fried and marinated in a vinaigrette. Looks like there’s a recipe on JOC, https://www.justonecookbook.com/salmon-nanbanzuke.
The restaurant I worked in prepared it a little differently. The fish was marinated beforehand, then deep fried, and served with more of the marinade.
They also had a delicious tataki. The salmon was rubbed in an ume paste before searing, and served with crispy brussel leaves and a good salt.

Nanbanzuke sounds tasty! I'll try that in a few days. Tonight I made some salmon teriyaki. I went with the recipe from JOC, I've never dipped the meat into potato starch before doing the teriyaki and I think it really really helped both holding the fish together and giving the sauce somewhere to adhere.

Recently my doctor asked how my sodium intake has been. I laughed and then had to explain "I eat *a lot* of Japanese food".

Johnny Truant posted:

Haha gently caress yeah, a couple of my friends from college started Sitka Salmon. That's some of the best salmon I've had in my life.

And I probably recommend, to fit the current discussion, a curry!

That's cool! I wish I had heard about Sitka Salmon back when I lived in WI. I only learned about it after I moved to Seattle (yeah, Seattle has a lot of their own amazing seafood, but Sitka supports individually owned boats, comes frozen cold enough I'm 100% comfortable making lox from it, and it just shows up at my door forcing me to use it).

I was going to say a salmon Japanese curry doesn't sound very good to me but then I googled and saw "fish katsu curry" and if I have a fillet of keta salmon in the freezer still, I could katsu that for a curry.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Heath posted:

Is there a curry roux that's readily available in the states and doesn't contain MSG? I like Golden Curry's flavor but I feel like poo poo every time I eat it, and I'm not sure if it's the MSG or I'm allergic to something in it.

I'm not sure because I never check but I would think that it's really hard to find a curry roux without MSG.

You could just buy some MSG and do some tests on yourself.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

im on the net me boys posted:

I’m cooking with a donabe for the first time tomorrow. I just now looked at the manual for the iwatani butane stove we got to use it with and it says that it should only be used indoors in a professional setting with ventilation, but I’ve seen people use the stoves in their homes before. Should I just use the stove outside and bring the donabe in or is it safe to use indoors if I keep the windows open?

Hahaha, I was going to post the same thing. I assumed it was a CYA thing more than anything else.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone have recommendations for donburi that would freeze well (other than gyuudon)? Trying to meal prep my lunches and defrosting/finishing a donburi topping on the stove and serving over rice would be a lot easier than some other lunches I've been eating.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The egg is a wild card but something like saborodon, you could freeze the chicken and just keep some scrambled eggs in the fridge, it wouldn't take long to make the egg component and they're separate.

Saborodon and butadon were the two non-gyuudon options I was thinking. I think the the scrambled egg should freeze and thaw fine.

kirtar posted:

Maybe sauce katsudon since you're pretty much just reheating the katsu by whatever method you prefer and chopping up some cabbage. I don't know how well the ones including egg freeze/reheat since I haven't tried it.

I hadn't heard of sauce katsudon before, but it's one way to deal with loss of crispiness with the freeze/thaw, just cede the fight ahead of time and douse in sauce before freeze!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My Zojirushi is larger but still has measurements down to 1 cup. And it can keep it warm for the next day if you only eat half a cup like me.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2021

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm going to be making some A5 for friends next week. I'm thinking of doing ichihu sandai ichiju sansai (loving autocorrect... or alcohol) style meal for it. Any thoughts on soups and tsukemono which will go nice with the fatty richness of A5?

captkirk fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 3, 2021

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Scythe posted:

Doing a full ichijū sansai set for A5 sounds fun. I don't think you can really go wrong on side dishes; I'd probably end up doing spinach ohitashi for the steakhouse creamed-spinach connection and something simmered with yuzu, maybe sweet potato or kabocha. For tsukemono tons of stuff would be good; I've been digging cucumber kasuzuke lately, takuan is always good, I think umeboshi would work, you could even do like kimchi. For the soup, maybe something with mushrooms and like a genmai miso?

I went with daikon and carrot amazuzuke, broccolini gomaae, the sweet potato mash my friend brought, and then a mushroom miso soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

how'd the beef turn out?

I'd not done sous vide for steak before and I didnt give the steak enough time after the bath to really take the salt in so it was a little underseasoned but a little table side flaky salt fixed that.