Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have some dried nori sitting in my pantry what should I do with it?
Also I don't like/don't want to make sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Tear it into little peices on top of any rice dish

That's too easy! :mad:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh I put konbu into both broths as well. I cut it into strips and tied it into knots so it could be eaten towards the end. But yeah, konbu broth, or alternately konbu dashi-no-moto (available locally here), are definitely the way for vegan.

Let's see, the broths went something like this:

2 tbsp aka miso
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake (actually cheap Chinese cooking wine, but close)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 sheet konbu
3 cups water
1 cup shitaki-soaking water

2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tsp szechuan pepper
1 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake (actually cheap Chinese cooking wine, but close)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 sheet konbu
4 cups water

And I topped off with konbu dashi-no-moto stock as we cooked.

I'll definitely try fried tofu next time. It would also make the meal that much more washoku-compliant (just needs something grilled).

I haven't tried this myself, but one of my recipe books suggests boiling it down with soy sauce, chilli pepper, sake and mirin to make a kind of furikake (rice topping) paste. They say 5 sheets nori, 4 tbsp soy, 1 tbsp sake, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tbsp mirin, 1 chilli pepper.

Where would I find mirin and also what sort of sake should I use since the local booze store has a decent selection?