Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A friend of mine bought natto at the Asian market out of curiosity, and when he walked up to the counter the owner said "ah yes, very healthy," in a cheerful tone that suggested it was its sole redeeming property. According to my buddy that's absolutely spot on as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've taken to making onigiri once a week for my work lunch and got a little tired of my usual salmon/mayo/soy sauce/sesame filling, so I bought some umeboshi today. Do I just pit one of those and pop it in the middle or is there a preparation method?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dunno what exactly I'd expect if I slow cooked pigs' feet for 12 hours but yeah probably something close to that.

e: that's one hell of a thing to start the new page on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bought some plain old nori today and the bag has the most :psyduck: importer's label I have ever seen, suggesting that due to the high iodine content, if you ate more than one gram a day you might as well be sipping straight adrenochrome, and even for that one gram recommending that you boil it for an hour, changing the water twice in that time.

How would you even strain one gram of anything without completely losing it in the strainer? Who comes up with this poo poo?

The reason I bought them is I want to start making onigiri for lunch again regularly and I'd love to hear some suggestions for fillings. Actually also general tips on getting them right, a good filling/rice ratio and such. I have a mold and in the past I've struggled a bit both with overfilling it and not having enough filling in the onigiri. Now that I think about it that seems like both problems have the same cause :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yes and that's what I'd like to know. It's the most insanely out of touch with reality set of preparation instructions I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For science, I tried to follow the instructions to the letter, and was going to take pictures to document the process, but it pretty much went like I expected, only much quicker. Didn't even get to bring it to a boil before it started disintegrating and the cleanup of all those little wet flakes of seaweed stuck to my strainer was exactly as much of a pain in the rear end as I thought.

If you boil dried seaweed, at best you get tea; if you strain it afterwards you won't even have that to show for; and if you're iodine sensitive you can't have dried seaweed and that's your lot.