Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Awesome thread, OP. Allow me to contribute.

Nikujaga

This looks glorious, and I think I might have to try it.

Will your salted salmon recipe work for making ochazuke, spacedog? I've had it at a little Japanese cafe in my hometown and would love to be able to make it at home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

electricmonk500 posted:

It's weird to me that I never considered just putting a chunk of umeboshi in onigiri (because it seems like there's no problem there), but I always like to slice it into a paste first (surprisingly easy/fast) and then use it.

I know that at Yoko's they just stick a big chunk in there, which is my favorite way to eat them :kimchi: it's a little bomb of saltysweetsavory in the middle of perfectly sticky rice.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

inferis posted:

if your budget is really tight, a $10 rice cooker will still make perfect rice if you get your ratios right, but it will probably be harder to clean and won't have features like timers or auto shutoff.

This is truth. I have an Imusa rice cooker that I got for $12 (clearance plus coupon) and it makes perfect rice. It even has auto shut off!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Coupons is a no-go here, seeing as they are illegal.

It was like $20 USD before discounts (10GBP?), and it's great. I was just trying to make the point that you don't need anything really fancy if you want to cook rice.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Helith posted:

That looks really similar to how I make mine. I use the second method because I use skinless thigh meat that I cut into strips, so I seal the meat and then put the sauce on and stirfry it until its become a glaze. I keep a big bottle of homemade teriyaki in my pantry as it keeps really well for a few months. It also goes spectacularly well with duck breasts and Salmon.

If you could post or PM me your recipe for the sauce, I would absolutely adore you.

With my stomach currently acting up and not being allowed to eat anything acidic or spicy (so there goes my Mexican cuisine), I've been eating a lot more miso and noodles. I have a recipe I'm going to attempt this weekend that's basically soba with miso and shiitake and it looks fantastic.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Does anyone have a good technique for making the omelet part of omurice? I have a decent recipe for the rice itself now, but the egg kind of eludes me. I've tried continuously pushing my spatula through it like Cooking with Dog recommends, but it never quite comes out right.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stringent posted:

Which part is eluding you exactly? What's not coming out right?

Basically, the 'covers the entire portion of rice' part. I can't get it flat, I get a rounded tucked-together shape or the eggs split into pieces rather than remaining as one big omelet.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Stringent posted:

Following this recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlmhoYNfI

The main thing that comes to mind is to ask if you're using a teflon pan. This is one of the things where you almost need a teflon pan to do it right. Can do it in cast iron, but it's considerably trickier. Other than that, vOv

That's exactly the recipe, and I'm using a Teflon pan. I wonder if the shape of the pan has anything to do with it, since mine is shaped a bit more like a wok...

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Yeah, ajinomoto is reliable and you can get a big resealable bag of their dashi granules for cheap. Trivia: They sell their MSG stateside as Accent, I think.

Is that who sells it? I use Accent MSG for some cooking stuff. I'll have to look into getting some of their dashi.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Crossposting from the dinnerthread, realized I still had some medium grain rice and nori around, so it's onigiri for breakfast.

What do you prefer as far as fillings? I just found a recipe online for umeboshi onigiri but I haven't made it to the Japanese grocery to pick up ingredients.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

im on the net me boys posted:

then how come moms can make onigiri????

Because they infuse the rice with love as they press it together and that's what makes it stick, duh.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

!

Honestly anything NongShim is fuckin doooooooooope.
The pot-au-feu cups are my favorite but I don't have time to drive 45 minutes to the nearest H-Mart or Mitsuwa.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, affordable small rice cooker? Just for cooking 1-2 cups of rice at a time. Right now I use an Instant Pot and it does okay, but it's bulky and not non-stick, so clean up is a pain.

I actually use my Instant Pot and something like this but with a solid bottom to make rice a cup at a time. You can also do pot in pot with a decent glass bowl. It's much much easier clean up.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Is oshinko pickled radish, or something else? I kinda fell in love with the bits of it I get at this one restaurant, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for if I go to my local Japanese market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Is it the yellow one? You can find it refrigerated but it might be called Takuan, you can usually get them whole or sliced

I think its a fermented daikon that shrivels up and gets denser

That looks like it! I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some the next time we go. I wasn't sure what I was looking for the last time. Thank you!