Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My first attempt at ramen; albeit with zero carb noodles since I'm on keto.

I followed the "Quick Shoyo Ramen" reciple from Way of Ramen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3_tcQiyGG8

Albeit with minor twists.

Subs:
I was a dumb dumb and didnt buy sake, so I used Shaoxing wine instead.
I didn't have lard and don't know how to get it so I used butter.
Added a spoonfull of szchuan chili oil.
Added a few dabs of hotsauce.
Noodles are konjac noodles.
Sweetener instead of sugar.

Wherever and whenever the reciple called for 1 tablespoon of soy sauce I used twice as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I doubled it because it seemed like too little for the sauce pan I was working with. Especially for the quick egg thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well I don't have a reference point if its too much or too little, as I like my salt and burned off my taste buds years ago.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm sick with the flu so I went and got ingredients to make some miso soup.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sorry to double post but what exactly is the Proper Way of making Miso? Particularly like mine where I want to add stuff (Mushrooms, Onions, etc).

Is this correct?
1. Make Dashi (put konbu in cold water for ~30mins, then bring to a simmer for 15 minutes with bonito flakes, turn off the heat and strain)
2. Add in my ingredients (half a sliced onion, enoki mushrooms, shitake mushrooms (not dried)) simmer for 15 minutes?
3. Turn off heat, mix in my miso after waiting a minute to cool a little.
4. Add scallions. (doing tofu-less miso for calorie watching reasons) (Could I also add seseme seed oil here or should it be during one of the previous simmer phases?)
5. Osomatsu.

I know some suggestions are 12-24 hours for the konbu, but I want it now. :mad:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Thanks y'all this is very helpful. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If I wanna maybe try adding ginger and garlic to miso soup, is it like slices of ginger/whole garlic without smashing/cutting or should i chop them up more? I know for like ramen I think garlic and ginger gets added when making broth in a similar way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Development posted:

is this even miso soup anymore

I'm sick with the flu and basically adding medicinal ingredients now that I've got the basics; I picked miso soup as the most at a glance keto compliant.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Annath posted:

Food isn't medicine, while some foods can have a health effect on the body, it's usually in quantities or durations far exceeding your typical meal.

Also, keto isn't recommended for people who are acutely ill.

I think you're reading more into the statement then intended. The point is not "this will cure me" but to increase the effect of "soup helps alleviate symptoms", so adding garlic to the soup helps enhance the soothing factor of the soup, nothing more. Also I like garlic.

For keto a brief google suggests the opposite, I don't see anything anywhere to suggests it's a bad idea. Regardless I'm not doing the eat 4000kcal of bacon thing if that's what you mean? I eat typically a very healthy diet whose macros are structured around hitting the keto targets with my fat coming from like, salmon from my protein and guacamole and olive oil from my salad. Which I haven't really done since getting sick my diet is just like a bowl of miso everyday and a bowl of plain yogurt.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also want the scallop. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Thoht posted:

It depends on how punchy/intense you want the flavor to be. If you want a blast flavor, add some smashed, minced, or microplaned right at the end. If you want something a little mellower, simmer large pieces when making the broth. Another interesting twist would be to make an aroma oil like you would for ramen. Fry aromatics like garlic, onion, scallion, ginger at a low temperature in some kind of tasty fat until golden and nutty smelling. Add a spoonful when serving.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of going for! So far I just put them in to simmer as like whole pieces, along with some salmon cubes, very tasty, first time basically have poached salmon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is it possible to steep konbu for two long?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

My mom wants to learn how to cook ramen. I got her a ramen cookbook, and I also want to get her stuff for ramen that might be hard to source at her regular grocery stores, HEB and Trader Joes. I've already got a bottle of mirin, is there anything else I should add to this ramen starter kit?

Bonito flakes and konbu maybe if making the dashi? Most other ramen stuff I assume is easily sourced at most grocery stores like sesame oil, scallions, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Keto Ramen.