Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This might be a departure from drying your own katsuobushi or whatever, but nothing hits the spot like some instant curry:

I've tried a few and usually stick with Golden Curry but that's probably just nostalgia, does someone have another favorite? Eating it, I can feel my mood improving with each bite.

Anyway, I'd welcome some opinions on what veggies, fruits, meats and spices to add. I usually go with beef cubes, onion, potato, carrots, and bananas (a point of contention with my family). Sprinkled with cayenne pepper and served with an unhealthy amount of white rice. I try to cook enough for the next one or two days, and it tastes even better than the first night. poo poo now I'm thinking about kare pan which is equally delicious.

I'm currently working through a bunch of S&B's Tasty Curry which I thought was decent. Vermont Curry is also good if you want something that starts more on the sweet side. In terms of core ingredients, I usually just do onion, carrots, potatoes with chicken thighs. Fruit-wise I will do grated apples if any. In terms of herbs/spices, I add a little bit of black pepper, sometimes bay, and some cayenne if I got stuck with a medium-hot or mild. If I have a bottle of table wine on hand, I will deglaze with some of that; otherwise, I use sherry.

al-azad posted:

A few weeks ago I had an epiphany while trying to make a meat sauce for Coney dogs. Japanese curry is a roux so why do I cook it like a stew and not a gravy? So I took a pan with some bacon drippings from another meal, added some onions, a skosh of baking soda to turn them super brown, then fried the curry roux until it was almost black before adding the liquid. I've never had Japanese curry with such immense flavor (although admittedly it's not something I seek out). I don't put veggies in a gravy so why would I here? Add some meat and a heaping of rice, that's it. Next time I want to omit water and do a blend of sweet and spicy peppers. The more concentrated the better.

The use of roux does not mean that it can't be a stew like preparation (see gumbo). Furthermore, the typical vegetables (onion and carrot) add a pretty good amount of flavor to the mix seeing as it's 2/3 of mirepoix. The onions in particular can help bring a pretty good amount of sweetness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

al-azad posted:

I'll meet you in the middle and just chop my veggies very finely. As a diehard fan of Indian and Thai curries, I just can't get over big stew chunks in Japanese curry.

Now I've got the idea stuck in my head to let the rice cook in the curry sauce like jambalaya.

Onions, ginger, garlic, and sometimes leeks. I'll just make separate broths and combine them until I'm comfortable getting the right color.

You could try doing it like a demi glace (or specifically Espagnole) where you cook the aromatics while making the sauce base to impart flavor, but strain them out prior to serving. Hell now I want to actually try using curry in demi glace.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 18, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pollyanna posted:

So exactly how thin is Japanese curry supposed to be? I made some for dinner and uh, I think it's not quite right:

I'm reducing the unused portion right now and it's closer to the consistency I like, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the point. It's S&B Golden Curry, if that helps.

Almost certainly not that thin since that looks barely thickened or even colored. I seem to remember S&B Golden Curry to be pretty thick when made at the right strength (Vermont is also pretty thick). It should be the consistency of a pretty hearty stew.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 13, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pollyanna posted:

Hrmmm. How many blocks am I supposed to use per cups of water? I'm beginning to think I didn't put in enough.

I don't have any Golden Curry on hand since I'm working my way through a bunch of Vermont (which I should probably mix with something else), but most brands are usually somewhere between 5 and 6 cups per box.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Feenix posted:

Thanks for the recipe. She's not a fan of tempeh, but yes, firm tofu is a good way to go.

I'm... I'm not sure how I feel about Chocolate and Cheese. I mean, at least not yet. I don't even know what Japanese Curry tastes like so I sort of want to experience it as it is before I trick it out.

I assume many of you buy some and eat it, as evidenced by posting here. Do you have to add chocolate and cheese to get it tasty? Or do you like a brand/roux already as is?

There's cheese in Vermont curry if I remember correctly.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hallo spacedog posted:

Apple and honey I believe.

All of the above

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The catfish kabayaki recipe on justonecookbook was great, though I simmered the sauce down too much this time. For some reason the local asian grocery has katsuobushi, but not kombu, so I'll probably try and find that online. I'm lazy and will probably just use powder 90% of the time, but I figure it's worth having the option to do it the normal way every so often.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, I'm planning on just ordering it off amazon or something. The closest store that is more likely to have it is 60 miles away so it will cost less to just order it than to spend a couple hours and a couple gallons of gas.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Apparently the panko I can get locally is absurdly overpriced since I can get twice as much for half the price on Amazon. Is it more or less panko is panko or are there any brands that are particularly good or bad?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Baked chicken katsu (just one cookbook) :yum:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I somewhat see eggs + ketchup as a processed fanqie chao dan (scrambled eggs stir fried with tomatoes) which I freaking love, but I usually cba to actually make any kind of omelette.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've never had any roux thickened sauce freeze particularly well.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mystes posted:

The first two ingredients are flour and oil. I'm not sure you really want to leave them unrefrigerated?

Isn't it usually like palm or coconut oil?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Maybe toss in some gelatin.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Of the three that I've tried I prefer S&B Tasty (Torokeru) Curry the most as a standalone. I'm probably going to start doing the roux with S&B curry powder or something so I can use a more unsaturated oil rather than like palm or coconut oil.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

vulturesrow posted:

So I picked up some pork belly from Costco but did not realize it was pre sliced. Is there a Japanese style preparation anyone can recommend?

Stick it on okonomiyaki maybe.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

captkirk posted:

Anyone have recommendations for donburi that would freeze well (other than gyuudon)? Trying to meal prep my lunches and defrosting/finishing a donburi topping on the stove and serving over rice would be a lot easier than some other lunches I've been eating.

Maybe sauce katsudon since you're pretty much just reheating the katsu by whatever method you prefer and chopping up some cabbage. I don't know how well the ones including egg freeze/reheat since I haven't tried it.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Martytoof posted:

Do the Zojirushis have actual markings for smaller portions? I’m certain I can cook like one cup of rice in my lovely Cusinart too but the markings start at 3 cups and I’ll be damned if I memorize instructions or maths for smaller portions. I’m at the stage of life where I feel entitled to my appliances humoring my stupidity by just outright having “insert water to here” printed somewhere on the unit.

I am incapable of memorizing water ratios for rice even if it is incredibly simple. If you look at my google history you can 1:1 map when I made rice on the stovetop by seeing when I googled “cook rice how much water”

If you get the small ones that cap at 3 cups they should have markings down to a half cup.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys do to adjust your curry brick roux? I’ve been making it as is for the past two years, just wondering what flourishes could be possible? I have a very limited imagination when it comes to winging food.

Usually a little extra curry powder depending on the brand, katsu sauce or Worcestershire depending on what I have on hand, and a bit of whatever cocoa powder I might have on hand (usually ends up being dutch process)

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scythe posted:

Looks great.

I've been thinking about trying to do shabu shabu over winter. Is the best thing to do just to get a donabe and a little burner? What's easiest?

Also, does anyone have a suribachi? If so, would you/do you use it for grinding spices or would that mess it up and/or not work well? I just got a molcajete which is great for its intended purposes of salsas etc. but I'm missing having a smaller mortar and pestle for grinding cumin/allspice/whatever and have always been interested in a suribachi...

If you don't mind using an electric heating element you could buy an induction burner or regular hot plate and use an appropriately sized pot. If I didn't already have a hand me down hot pot setup that's what I would do since each component can theoretically be put to use in other contexts.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

captkirk posted:

Does anyone have any good Japanese dishes that use white fish (halibut or cod most commonly)? Other than tempura!

I've tried simmering it in shoyu, mirin, sake, water and ginger a couple times. It's never that good.

I suspect that preparing them similarly to miso cod would probably work, although that's based on sablefish which has somewhat more oily.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sort of, for a very long time most Japanese were very austere with their food portions. Sure they could be comfortable now, but who knows what tomorrow would bring and best not get too used to large portions of food. Then WW2 happened and some officials took note of how much slighter the average Japanese man was compared to the people they were fighting and recent studies about how much early age nutrition played a role in that. The government pushed larger portions and higher protein in their post war reformations as a result. Its why eggs play such a large part in modern Japanese cuisine despite religious strictures against eating non-piscine meat and laws against animal-husbandry dominating b the culture for the last millenia.

Also helps when there was the additional problem of their soldier and sailors getting beriberi from eating basically nothing but rice.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My family has generally been using Tatung rice cookers, but that's largely because it's a Taiwanese company. That said, it's functionally a double boiler.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Even Calrose is closer than jasmine rice.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Any recommendations on online places (US based) to order ingredients outside of just getting pantry staples from amazon? Right now I'm just limited to whatever Kroger and Albertson have and beyond that I'd have to drive to SLC (3 hours).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

captkirk posted:

Is there something in particular you're looking for?

Still figuring out a full list, but for now I need to restock dried shiitake, dashi packets, soba and/or udon, and curry stuff. I'd probably go ahead and restock rice and soy sauce if I'm putting in an order anyways even if I can get Calrose and Kikkoman locally.