Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would anyone advise the purchase of a yakiami, or would I be fine just using a grill pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My roommate gave me free rein to use her miso. She has a habit of keeping poo poo "until they show obvious signs of rot," so I checked the dates on her miso and the sell by/expiration were like, Feb 2015. I know that miso is some kind of fermented bean, but at the same time, five years ago. Is it safe to use?

I already bought some of my own miso (an expensive brand that was on clearance for the shelf space)

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why do none of the Japanese markets I have access to (Mitsuwa, Marukai/Tokyo Central, Nijiya Market) accept EBT? :negative:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I recognize those names. Are you in San Diego? Try some non-Japanese stores, they'll often have most everything you can find at Japanese markets. 99 Ranch takes EBT, I think.
I'm in Los Angeles for the moment.

I know that 99 Ranch takes EBT mercifully, as does H-Mart. I just find it strange and annoying that the Japanese markets don't

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I want to get into making my own tsukemono (I got the book the thread suggested), and I'm wondering if there are any pickling medium recommendations. Would it be worth hunting down the wooden tub or pickling pottery, or should I just stick with a Mason jar to start?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ooh, I'll have to look for that the next time I'm thrifting.

(nice)

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's a kimchi fried rice recipe on Just One Cookbook, and I have a question.

Kimchi doesn't really go bad, does it? I have a jar of it that's been in the refrigerator for a while, but it's sitting against the back of the fridge and was probably frozen all this time.

I don't know why the fridge freezes stuff in the back. The one time I tried to make it less cold it leaked all over the floor :mad:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Which kind of sake should I use for cooking? I also wouldn't mind being able to take a sippy, either.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thank you for clearing up the sake thing.

Another question, does anyone bother using yakitori grills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Development posted:

real talk I can’t stop grilling 7-mi chicken wings. from the ono and salat grilling book. it’s the best.

2tbsp 7-mi, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup sesame oil, 1-2 tsp salt. mix well. marinade them wings for a few hours and then grill baby grill!!! do reserve some marinade for basting while grilling.

What kind of charcoal do you use for your grill?

I picked up binchotan and have yet to successfully ignite it; afterwards I learned poo poo takes like 30 minutes to get going and another 30 to be at cooking temp.