Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Can I just make oyakodon in bulk up to but not including the part where you pour the egg on top, the fridge/freeze and take out individual portions to reheat and then finish up?

e: While I'm at it, does anyone have a bangin curry recipe for curry like the stuff at restaurants like cocoichi or curry wa nomimono? The really dark stuff with no vegetables or meat in it that you can use as a base for putting stuff in.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The "really dark" curry is still gonna have vegetables/meat in it to start with. You just strain it out. But this https://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/04/26/take-it-from-a-native-recipe-for-delicious-japanese-curry-as-found-at-coco-ichiban/ is about the closest I've come to that color. In all honesty I just usually lazily use golden curry blocks and say gently caress it.

This turned out great except it changed color once I put it in the fridge. Still tastes fine but I can't figure out why that happened.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What's the secret to fat tonkatsu cutlets? All the recipes I can find online tell me to pound them thin when I'm fiending for the inch+ thick super juicy stuff. Tried to do it at home but it took a hell of a long time to get cooked through to the center and the outside was kinda dry.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Stringent posted:

https://cookpad.com/recipe/2670011

Holler if you need help reading it.

I can read Japanese, thanks. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

In the meantime before I read this post, I tried out sous vide with both pork chop and chicken breast and I had a devil of a time getting the breading to stick (especially the breast). Imma give that a few more goes too but sadly it wasn't quite as simple as vizzle and then fry.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I can read Japanese, thanks. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

In the meantime before I read this post, I tried out sous vide with both pork chop and chicken breast and I had a devil of a time getting the breading to stick (especially the breast). Imma give that a few more goes too but sadly it wasn't quite as simple as vizzle and then fry.

Update: These turned out great with the notable problem of my pork being like 2.5 inches thick instead of 1. I got around this by not doing the bit where it said to shape the tenderized pork back to its original size and I didn't have a problem. Thanks!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The way I was always taught was to leave it for 15~30 minutes after the rice cooker chimes and then give it a good folding with the rice paddle, which I was told would let the steam sink into the rice to stop it from becoming too sticky, and then the folding would prevent the grains from clumping. No idea if that's actually true but it's always worked for me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This looks amazing, I'll definitely be giving this a try if you post a recipe.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

:getin: Awesome writeup! Imma make that this weekend and report back.

edit: Would you mind if I shared this recipe with other people?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

One clarification, the components for the recipes here meant to be 1:1:1, right? That is, if I made 4 liters of the stock, I'd be expected to be able to combine it with the 1kg onions worth of gravy and the whole container of spice mix and get the intended curry?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I generally prefer to make huge batches that I can portion and freeze and then reheat a single serving after coming home from work, which is why I wanted to get it all together. Thanks for the clarification though, I'll fiddle with it on my own.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

al-azad posted:

Let me know how it turns out. The proportions work on a small scale and I don't see why they wouldn't work on a larger scale as long as you keep in mind the longer uncovered simmer time needed.

First try was something like 60% of the spice mix bloomed in 8tbsp butter with ~2.5 cups gravy, ~9 cups stock, with some beef chuck, about 12 servings by my reckoning. I had to fish out the beef and let it go at a roiling boil for over two hours to get it viscous enough to look like yours, even with a healthy ~1/4 cup of coconut oil slurry. I can only give it a tiny taste before bed and I'll post more about it after I get a proper meal with it tomorrow, but for now it's... hmm. All I can say about it is that it's smooth and, uhh, complex. I think I'll give it a try with cooking a single serving some time soon and see if it's noticeably different.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

al-azad posted:

I hope you mean coconut flour and not oil! What umami ingredients do you plan on using? Yeast extract and sea salt are a must IMO but for beef I would also consider something naturally salty like Worcestershire, maggi sauce, or anchovy paste.

Whoops, yes, coconut flour.

I normally only use fish sauce for all my ~umami needs~ but I guess I could try yeast extract next time.

I do like the flavor but I also thought it was really understated compared to normal from-a-box curry. Flavor profile reminded me way more of Indian curry instead of Japanese. Maybe it felt subtle because I used too little spice? I dunno, I eyeballed it (see pic for how much I used) but with the flavor I kinda fear that it would become bitter if I added too much more. It was already on the verge of having a bitter aftertaste.

My problem right now is that I have a pretty strict calorie limit in place so the portions I can eat are pretty small. Maybe I had too much rice for the amount of curry I used. I have a ton of portions still remaining so I'll experiment more with it and hopefully have better results.

Also included is the tiny serving I tried after it was all done. Cute!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tabelog is pretty drat legit unlike Yelp which is a cointoss of Actually Pretty Good/Mysteriously High Reviews For No Reason/Really Good But Doesn't Cater To White People So Bad Score

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

al-azad posted:

I hope you mean coconut flour and not oil! What umami ingredients do you plan on using? Yeast extract and sea salt are a must IMO but for beef I would also consider something naturally salty like Worcestershire, maggi sauce, or anchovy paste.

So kinda late in coming back to this but I got me some marmite, katsuobushi, and also dug out my tin of mushroom powder and tossed some of each into the portion I was reheating, and it really rounded it out and I hella enjoyed it. Now to actually figure out if one of them was the magic ingredient or if it's really just better with all of them in it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wouldn't eating unfrozen wild fish directly from the sea open you up to gnarly rear end parasites

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Frozen tofu is terrible (the texture turns into something like inari but worse) but frozen rice is perfectly fine. Never had it turn into mush, or even knew that that could happen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I am fiending hard for a copycat recipe for the Abura Soba Tokyo Aburagumi Souhonten chain's abura soba, please aid

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 4, 2019

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The flip at the end to seal the seam on the omurice omelet is loving me up severely, and watching Motokichi's video isn't helping because he makes it look so effortless. Either the omelet goes flying and splats in an ugly heap or it just doesn't move at all, no in between

e: Am I crazy or would liquid egg be a good idea to use for these

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 20, 2019

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You can just buy one on Amazon

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Something I saw in one of his videos - what exactly does 作り置き mean? Just foods that keep well or something?

You make (tsukuru) and leave (oku) it without having to make more or anything. Stuff you can make a big batch and keep eating from it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Give it a taste, curry that's off will taste sour

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Growing up we just had a pot of curry sitting on the stove until we worked through it all, never got sick, live tough or die

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I made a mess of carnitas on a whim, realized I had no tacos, and used it as the meat in JP curry to salvage it. The meat was so tender it basically dissolved into pork threads and the entire pot became a homogeneous curry-flavored pork slurry. It tasted pretty good actually but whew the aesthetics were not pleasing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I have a crippling addiction to wasabi peas which is bad news when I'm cutting and just a handful is over a hundred calories. Is there any way to make something similar at home in terms of horseradishy flavor and crunchiness without the calorie load?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone tried low temperature tonkatsu (Narikura style)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTkK2PhH9AU

Watching this place which does a similar style, they jaccard the meat, standard flour egg breadcrumb dredge with fresh breadcrumbs (some sort of Secret Egg Mixture to make it whiter but I don't think that matters much) then a long low and slow fry at 115C and a quick finish at 145. Mostly curious about how well the breading stays stuck after such a long cook. They also pack the breadcrumbs pretty forcefully which I was told is a no-no so curious if anyone has any insight on that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Like all stews, curry gets better the longer you wait

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Specifically hot water to prevent clumping but yes, that's correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nana and shichi are just alternate readings of 七 (seven)