Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Any tips for good sushi rice? My attempts at sushi have been good, but not amazing, and I can't quite pin down what's missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What is that? A sardine?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm planning to grill some mackerel this weekend. How does one season a grilled fish?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mindphlux posted:

make an oceany puckery brine, and brine your thawed filets for ~15 minutes, or more like 30-45 for a whole mackerel. pat thoroughly dry. rub with oil, grill. sprinkle with sea salt on the grill, if you want - but that's just a finishing touch. standard japanese procedure for broiled salted fish is always brining afaik based on my reading. removes extra fishiness/blood as well as seasoning - makes sense to me.

Yup, this was a good way to do it. Aside from not oiling the grill so they stuck like crazy and got kind of charred on the outside, the brining turned out well. The oily mackerel flesh was really forgiving, so they were still delicious on the inside.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What did it taste like?