Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

WaterIsPoison posted:

Ramen was mostly a success!

In the end I barely had enough broth for five bowls, and I felt I under seasoned it a bit. The color was also a bit off. When I strained it the night before it had a great, creamy off-white color. However, after I chilled it over night before serving it the next day it got much browner. I'm not sure what caused this to be honest, but it's a bit frustrating.

If you don't have enough broth you should be able to water it down a bit. A lot of places I go to have a strong both that they mix with hot water when making ramen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Fooley posted:

Can you do anything with natto besides eat it over rice and natto jiru? Now that I'm over the smell/texture I'm interested in cooking with it, but those are the only ways I've seen it used.

You can put in an omelet or mix it in with fried rice.

Also, I have read that adding some peanut butter into your Japanese curry roux will make it more Coco-ichi like. Haven't tried it though because peanut butter is expensive here.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you are looking to do something with cucumbers try this - http://www.lafujimama.com/2013/03/beaten-cucumber-pickles/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Feenix posted:

No doubt. I've just only ever had a Thai curry. It's ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I just really want to try a Japanese one. It looks so hearty and comfort-foody. LIke a more exotic beef stew. Perfect for the cold wet weather.

Make a Japanese beef stew or Hayashi rice. If you don't like curry then maybe something better to try. Japanese stew and curry are very close ingredient-wise but one curry usually served over rice and the stew is served by itself. Not that you have to eat curry with rice. Hayashi-rice is like a fancier cousin of curry. Usually just beef and onions in the ingredients and the roux is a bit sweeter and can be enhanced with some red wine.

Make all 3! Then you will learn how Japanese housewives make food to last a few days.