Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Taking a stab at the Serious Eats Food Lab Tonkotsu Ramen.

I'm trying this recipe this weekend! I'll post photos as I go along. How thoroughly did you scrape out the marrow out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

WaterIsPoison posted:

I wasn't able to get the trotters cut up by the butcher, so I couldn't get all of the marrow, but I did the best that I could. Probably why the broth turned out as dark as it did in the end.

Yeah, I have 2 choices basically, one place has them already split, but I think the place across town that doesn't have fat back has them whole and will bandsaw them so I might have to make two trips to get the broth to come out 100%... I have a feeling it'll be worth it. Any tips for seasoning the ramen at the end? J.KL-A mentions adding salt, miso, shoyu, etc. at the end but he never gives definite quantities...

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

tonberrytoby posted:

I just saw this great video on how to behave in a traditional sushi store : http://youtu.be/eKChClRgI7c
But I don't understand the "Taisho" gag. Is that some kind of old meme?

The taisho thing is what you might casually call the owner of the sushi place when you address him if you're familiar with him. The secret past thing is just an absurdist joke, much like most of the video.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 13, 2014

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Sweet crispy christ that Serious Eats tonkotsu broth is amazing. I finished it too late in the evening to make a meal out of it, but I did a tester based on the in-bowl seasoning mixture from NoRecipes and it might be the best ramen broth I've ever had (and I've had some really loving good ramen). I'm having a bowl for dinner tonight and I'll post pics of prep and final assembly with a full trip report afterward.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Anybody have a link to an anal-retentive ramen writeup? I can bullshit something passable for dinner, but I think I've decided it's time I explored the details with a fine comb. I'm particularly looking for a red ramen that's spicy. It would have pork broth, but be mostly vegetables. I have the gist of soft-boiled eggs, matching noodles to broth, and those little things. However, I'd like to get something down to:

1. Exactly what cut of meat to use to get the right consistency in the broth.
2. Exact mix of vegetables.
3. A precise spice mix.
4. Which noodles to use with the given broth.

We have access to a pretty decent Asian market here where I expect I could get most everything.

Also, I might as well mention that years ago as a sophomore in college, I tried to make beefbowl. I never had it, and never have had a chance to have it. So I don't know if that darkish muck of beef that tasted kind of like fish flakes was anywhere near correct. Unfortunately, I'm assuming I probably nailed it straight on haha.

If you want a red spicy ramen you're probably thinking Tantan-men which has its roots in sichuanese Dan Dan Mein. This recipe for Dan Dan noodles is somewhat in-between a regular sichuanese Dan Dan and a Japanese Tantan-men and is really really delicious. I subbed in Sun fresh ramen noodles when I made it and it wowed a Japanese friend. I've since invented a fully vegan version that totally kills it and that I almost prefer to most ramen nowadays. I'll have to measure out the ingredient ratios and post them in here sometime.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Hell yeah. Not the right thread for it but as far as boiled noodles, Chinese Dan Dan Mian or lo mien is where it's at. The Japanese haven't brought anything exciting to noodles or curry themselves - their strength lies elsewhere.
I'd like to know your vegetarian/vegan version though. I've got a couple of recipes from trial and error and from Fuchia Dunlop merged into a work in progress.

I'll get in the kitchen and pull together some ratios this weekend!

Off the top of my head the soup ingredients include Better Than Bouillon No Chicken and No Beef stock (a small amount of the beef stock is really critical I think though there's very little in there, just enough to darken the flavor up enough to read "pork"), miso, doubanjiang, soy sauce, chinese sesame paste or tahini, shallots, garlic, sesame oil, sichuanese chili oil, and maybe a few other things since I'm not looking into my pantry at the moment. It's umami as all hell considering there's 3 separate fermented ingredients but if you don't need it 100% vegan I'm sure a dash of fish sauce wouldn't hurt either. Gotta run to Uwajimaya today to get some noodles!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Ok strap in, here comes himajinga's makeshift vegan spicy ramen recipe. I'm topping this ramen with garlic and ginger pea vines and soy-braised tofu, but you can top with whatever you like. I'd normally throw a soft egg on there but I said "vegan" so not this time.

First things first: when making east Asian food, especially the spicy kind, a nice cold as hell cheap lager is critical to the process. It's one of the best things to drink with spicy food but the real pros know that it also pairs well with the preparation so crack whatever regional pisswater you have chilled to near-freezing before doing any of the following steps.

Now we gather our ingredients. Disregard the Squid brand fish sauce, I pulled it down out of habit since fish sauce makes everything better. There's a few of the saltier ingredients that have looser amounts so you can adjust the taste to your liking, keeping in mind that after you add the noodles and toppings the overall perceived saltiness of the broth drops slightly.

For the ramen:
3 cloves garlic, minced, about 1 tablespoon
2 generous teaspoons ginger, minced
2 generous tablespoons shallot, minced
2 whole green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
1 loose tablespoon doubanjiang (this stuff is salty but critical to the umami level of the final dish, start at 2/3 tablespoon and if you think it needs more oomph you can always add more at the end)*
1.5 tsp. fermented black beans
2.75 cups hot water
1.25 tsp. Better than Bouillon No Chicken base (like the doubanjiang, err on the side of less and if the final dish needs more flavor you can add more 1/8 tsp at a time)
0.5 tsp. Better than Bouillon No Beef base
2 tablespoons red miso
2 tsp. soy sauce
0.5 tsp. dark soy sauce
2.5 tsp. chinese sesame paste (you can substitute tahini without a problem, the overall flavor will be slightly lighter as the chinese version is roasted more heavily)
1 tbsp cooking oil
5.5 oz fresh ramen noodles (I recommend Sun brand)
2 tsp sesame oil, for finishing
Angry Lady sauce, to taste, for finishing

For the tofu:
4 oz. fried fresh tofu, sliced 1/4" thick
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. ginger, minced
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1.5 tablespoons mirin
1.5 tablespoons shaoxing cooking wine (sake is probably better but I didn't have any)
1.5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 tsp. cornstarch

For the pea vines:
a 3" diameter bundle of pea vines, chopped into 2 inch sections
1 clove garlic, minced
equal amount of ginger, minced
1 cup hot water
1 tsp. No Chicken base
2 tsp. vegetarian oyster-flavored sauce
2 tsp. cornstarch

*when I buy doubanjiang, it comes wrapped in paper and twine and has large chunks of pepper and bean throughout. I immediately put it through the food processor so it changes from a chunky mixture into a fine paste so it incorporates into dishes more easily and then store it in a mason jar in the fridge where it keeps basically forever. There's a straining step at the end so this isn't 100% necessary but I think it's best practice.

First step is to prep all the minced bits, the easiest way to mince a shallot is to cut off the top and cut towards the root end without going all the way through as close together as you can manage, then turn sideways and cut crosswise into a super fine dice. Sip Rainier.

Next, mix together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, mirin, cooking wine, and sugar for the tofu, whisk the crap out of it, and set it aside for the flavors to meld. In a small cup, mix the cornstarch and water for the tofu and set aside. Similarly, whisk the water, chicken base, oyster sauce and cornstarch together for the pea vines.

Now we prepare the broth. In a saucepan, heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat, and when hot, add the garlic, ginger, scallion whites and shallot. Cook, stirring, for about a minute or until the shallot begins to become transparent but before the garlic starts to brown.

Add the doubanjiang and fermented black beans, mashing with a wooden spoon to break them up into the oil/allium mixture. Cook for another minute or two, stirring, until the doubanjiang and black beans have broken down and the cooking oil is nice and red.

Add the hot water, soy sauces, miso, and chicken and beef base, and when the water comes to a light simmer, turn the temperature down to medium-low and thoroughly mix to incorporate all of the ingredients. Make sure you stir until the miso has completely dissolved into the liquid or else when you taste you won't get an accurate feel for the saltiness of the broth. After everything has been incorporated, taste the broth. If it needs more umami or heat, add doubanjiang 1/8 tsp. at a time. If it needs salt, add more chicken base 1/8 tsp at a time. Do these one at a time as the doubanjiang will also add salt. It should be fairly salty at this point but use your judgment. Once the broth tastes salty enough, add the sesame paste and whisk pretty thoroughly to emulsify the oil in the paste into the broth. It should be rich and thick, if it feels grainy whisk more until the broth is smooth. Taste, and if you think it should be thicker, add a little more sesame paste and whisk. There will be a cap of oil and aromatics floating on top if you let the broth sit for a few seconds, this is normal. Wipe your brow and finish the Rainier. Open another.

Set the broth on a back burner on low and prepare the tofu. Heat 2 tsp of cooking oil in a wok over high heat and add the tofu, tossing to coat and cook for a minute, then add the reserved sauce, reducing the heat to medium-high. Braise in the sauce for 3 minutes to infuse the tofu with flavor, then add the cornstarch/water mixture and stir gently until the sauce is glossy, 1 minute. Pour tofu and sauce back into the bowl you whisked the sauce in and let rest while you cook the pea vines and noodles.

Wipe out the wok with a paper towel, put back on medium-high heat, and add more cooking oil. When the oil is hot add the garlic and ginger, stirring until aromatic, maybe 30 seconds. Add the chopped pea vines and cook, stirring constantly until the leaves are wilted and the woody stems become tender, about 2-3 minutes. When the stems are tender, stir the broth/cornstarch mixture and add to the wok 2 tablespoons at a time until a clear, glossy sauce clings to the pea vines and garlic, but not so much that there's much excess in the pan. Remove from heat.

Boil a pot of water for the noodles. For ramen I've noticed that you need less noodles than you think, I usually get the Sun ramen noodles (which says 11oz is 2 servings) and divide 1 serving between two bowls, but if you want more, you might need to increase the amount of broth you make slightly. Boil the noodles for 2 minutes and drain, dividing between two large ramen bowls.

Divide the broth evenly between the two bowls by pouring through a fine mesh strainer to remove the chunky aromatics. You can skip this step if you want the shallots, etc. in your broth. Top with the chopped green onion, slices of the tofu, the pea vines, and some angry lady sauce. Chow down!

If anyone makes this I'd love people's feedback!

CrazySalamander posted:

Well this isn't their recipe, but given the source I bet it's pretty good.

Seriouseats vegan ramen article

Seriouseats vegan ramen recipe

J.KL-A is pretty unfuckwithable so I'll have to try it his way at some point.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Philip Rivers posted:

That's a pretty rad write up. I especially appreciate the Lao Gan Ma, I just found out about that stuff and wow is it good.

Thanks! I am also a laoganma neophyte but goddamn it's really awesome and I kind of want to put it on everything all the time rn