Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I would love a legit yakitori lesson, particularly how to make a good tare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stringent posted:

This is more or less the range that comes standard in 90% of japanese homes. The drawer in the middle is a fish oven.

this was fun to discover when I was living there and offered to make thanksgiving dinner for my friends at their place

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Honestly that's not that far off from the kind of curry you find on fries in irish pubs

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Honestly, I've had this piece of poo poo from Target for 7 years and I've never had a single problem with it. Its in near-pristine condition and just works

And even though I don't need one and don't expect to, apparently replacement bowls are $8

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What do the crazy expensive rice cookers do that the cheap ones don't? Congee and stuff?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

hallo spacedog posted:

Wasabi is tasty but for whatever reason I guess my mouth registers it as something totally different than spiciness, maybe pungency would be how I'd describe it.

Wasabi doesn't have capsaicin in it, which is what makes chili peppers spicy. Instead its spiciness/pungency is from sulphur compounds. So your assessment is correct! Fundamentally it's working in a different way chemically

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
yeah I'd advise against doing that - I wouldn't eat raw chicken if I was making italian food or something; it doesn't magically make it safe just by calling it sashimi

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Anyway, especially in the US it may be possible to order tubers in the mail to grow yourself. Apparently they're pretty unfussy - they don't even need direct sunlight.

I thought they were extremely fussy which is why they're not grown on a large scale commercially and why we get that green horseradish as a result :confused:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
sometimes they put mango on things i guess?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

I was able to find some online. So yakisoba is basically:

Boil noodles until almost cooked.
Fry pork and vegetables in a normal frying of pork and vegetables way.
Add the noodles.
Bulldog sauce until it tastes like you want it.

Anything else to know?

Benishoga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i think you need some ketchup in there too