Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Chita might be worse now that I'm thinking about it, poo poo was pretty gross. I could barely chug the entire bottle on the train.

This is why we have you at a desk near the window, Cheezu-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hopper posted:

I just discovered they opened a huge... like gigantic Asian supermarket on the 3rd floor of one of our central shopping places in Munich. This may be nothing special where you are from, but Germany and especially Munich, though a major city, suffer from a severe lack of choice when it comes to Asian groceries.

This place has EVERYTHING. From like 15 different brands of dark soy sauce and duck eggs, to 10+ kinds of ramen noodles (dried noodles not instant ramen) and to Yuzu. They have fresh yuzu fruit...

I never imagined I would be able to make yuzu Ramen from scratch...

Sorry for the rambling but I had to share. This opens up so many options, we Germans are always envious of the US when it comes to availability of Asian grocery goods.

IIRC there are a lot of Japanese people in Frankfurt! I don't know if that's at all helpful to you.

E: Also, I think most Vietnamese grocers will carry a selection of Japanese products. I am really not an expert about demographics in Germany, but I think a Vietnamese grocery might be easy to find.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 5, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the only valid reaction to soju. A terrible drink.

Somek, however, is entirely different.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Maybe sub in Bulldog sauce for the ketchup?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

virinvictus posted:

Just moved into Arctic Canada. I thought my choices were limited in Northern Ontario, but at least I had sticky rice, miso, and more than just the VH brand of soy sauce. All we have here is above said soy sauce and minute rice. And nobody even knows what miso is. *sigh*

Any Canadians know of any Japanese grocery suppliers that can mail shelf-stable items up North? Amazon.ca gets pretty expensive re: specialty ingredients.

Isn't that part and parcel of the whole Arctic Canada deal? Twenty-dollar Doritos and hundred-dollar cases of water?

(Please do an A/T!)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

So with that Curry I made, I accidentally left it sitting on the stove all night(it had a lid on it though), I put it in the fridge this morning though, you guys think it will still be good or should I toss it, the meat used was pork

Tbh, I'd probably take a chance, seeing as it's winter. But eat it today and toss the rest.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

drgitlin posted:

If you’re going to be a pedant then you ought to at least spell the name of the drunk properly, and in the case of Japan that means without the E.

You're that concerned with spelling, but don't know the definition of "pedantic?"

E: or how to spell "drink," upon second glance.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't know what your problem is, regarding either your ish with me or your deep struggle with the concept of a definition, but I'm not going to engage with you further.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Y'all NEED calçots.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 18, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

I suppose it IS the Japanese cooking thread.

No doubanjiang and no fermented black beans :O

Or huajiao. But miso is SOME kinda fermented bean!

IIRC the Japanese version mapo is pretty different from how it is in China.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It's really white pepper-y, kind of bland. At least the two times I had it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Whisks-R-Us posted:

I've enjoyed cooking Japanese food for myself (and lurked this thread) for some time, but I would like to solicit help with an interesting challenge. I have a vegetarian friend who has never had Japanese food due to a rice allergy. I would like to make her dinner. I am thinking of using coconut aminos, sherry, and apple cider vinegar as substitutes for soy sauce, mirin and rice vinegar. Fortunately, I do have some homemade barley miso as I cannot think of a good substitute for miso at all. Currently, I am thinking about making a vegetable soup with soba, but there is probably something more interesting than that and I would like to include some side dishes. Any ideas of better substitutions or dishes that would work with these constraints?

Is there rice flour in soy sauce or something? Vodka is a much better substitute than sherry, too.

E: if you want, like, SUPER clean recipes, perhaps veggies and meat braised simply in dashi and livened up with yuzukosho would be good?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Iirc soy sauce doesn't have enough gluten to be a problem for most people, but tamari tastes better IMHO.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Honestly, kombu dashi granules will probably serve you best as there's added MSG, in terms of flavor. I've also just cheated by adding a touch of soy sauce to kombu dashi.

But if I were you, I'd just make a really mellow and flavorful veggie broth (with appropriate veggies) and accept that the flavor profile might need some tweaking.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I know I used to buy pricey, bougie vegan powdered dashi at Whole Foods back in the day, but I don't remember a brand. I'm sure it exists somewhere, though.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Is there a reason you can't make shiitake broth, with kombu? I mean, I use and make pure kombu broth as an intermediary when I'm doing multiple soup courses and dietary requirements to make into large dashi later.
-edit- make 16 quarts of the kobu dashi. char over fire the following, 1 leek, 2 onions, 2 2" pieces of ginger. put them in a hotel pan in the oven at 350 for 15 more minutes to continue breaking down sugars. throw them into your dashi with about a quart of shiitake stems, add 3.3 quarts of water, reduce back down to 16 quarts. You have some nice vegan dashi with enough water soluble fiber to make you poo poo.

My goon said that mushrooms make him sick sometimes:

MockingQuantum posted:

:
Any ideas on other options for making a nice umami dashi? My wife is vegetarian so katsuobushi is out as an option, and mushrooms have a tendency to make me sick, though I've only had that happen in dishes with actual bits of mushroom in them, and I can't swear shiitake is a culprit, but I'm hesitant to try to make a kombu/shiitake dashi for that reason.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I think the batter is more or less a standard flour and water batter, with some potato starch and kelp flakes?

But really, you just gotta make a batter, load it up with the ingredients you like, and add toppings. I personally like pumpkin or squash in mine, and lots of scallions and gari. (I don't know or care if the gari is "traditional," but I can eat it however I like! IT'S IN THE NAME, DANGIT.)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Urchin Face is a great name for a band.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone here in Japan able to get the new barrel aged kit kats? Don't know what you'd want in return but I propose a trade (im in California)

What does that mean? Whiskey flavor? Sounds great, and I don't even like whiskey.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

im on the net me boys posted:

There are some limits I think. I’ve had leftover curry with tortilla chips, tortillas, and udon noodles but I tried making a curry sandwich with just some bread once and that sucked

This gave me an idea: grilled cheese made with curry mayonnaise.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Heath posted:

No, although I've made some spicy stuff using gochujang and gotten a weird prickly tingling sensation in my fingertips and felt similarly uncomfortable. The curry roux isn't that intense though

That's a weird reaction. Maybe there's a preservative or something that you're reacting to? Or maybe you have a capsaicin allergy, even?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Hmm, that's an interesting problem to have. I'm usually a carb substitution whiz, but for some reason I'm having trouble thinking of something that's Really Like Rice. Orzo was the best thing I could think of, but that's already been suggested. Maybe something like spaetzle? Would a rice noodle spaetzle be good or gross, I wonder?

If you like shirataki, shirataki "rice" is pretty good!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'll eat it if someone makes it for me, but I wouldn't order it.

e: how drunk am I at Saizeriya, in this scenario?

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 23, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

What's everyone's favorite wafu pasta? I made umeshisho pasta tonight (the umeboshi- and shiso-hater in my household is away and I have a quarter kilo of fresh shiso because I went MAD WITH POWER) but I would like to hear other variations.

I once had a beautiful garlicky, buttery, nori-y spaghetti dish at a random mall in Mushashi-Koganei and it was so simple and delicious (and had no fish!) that I have never forgotten it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Spam is good fight me

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girlfriend got a new lunchbox, and it's a stacked bento box design in pink. So I said "Oh you got a pinku one" and she didn't get it, so then I attempted to explain the bento post and long story short I don't think she loves me anymore.

It's because it was made in china or corea (Korea) or whatever.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

A block of MSG? How do you use that?

A little at a time, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Didn't they ban those lychee cups because Americans can't be trusted to chew food, like Kinder Eggs?

Kinder Eggs were banned because the chocolate isn't (wasn't?) Pasteurized. We had a similar product with USDA-approved chocolate. Plenty of people choke on those konnyaku cups in Japan, so let's not go insulting entire nations over incorrect info.