Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I made a kickin' chawanmushi last night. it's super technical but super easy. take a cup and a half of dashi, season it so it tastes really good with salt, sugar, mirin, soy, and a little chicken bullion if you want. lightly beat 2 eggs, and pass through a medium strainer to keep back the white chunky albumen. combine egg with dashi mixture, wisk lightly. steam for 15-25 minutes, start with a hard steam then turn down to simmer so temp inside steamer is around 195 during latter half. it's done when it is fully set and jiggles like jello, and if you stick a chopstick in it, it comes out clean and is filled with a clear liquid.

I topped mine with shitakes simmered in oyster sauce/dashi, furikake, pickled seaweed (chopped up my dashi kelp and marinated in vinegar and some other stuff), and some crab (picked from crab legs).

super tasty, served with some cucumber salad with vinegar, rice, pickles, and ribeye beef tataki. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kinmik posted:

This is the world's best tare recipe, trust me. I actually used mizuame and it makes a world of difference.
http://shizuokagourmet.com/yakitori-saucetare-recipes-13/

I disagree. all good yakitori sauce requires chicken stock.

awesome authentic yakitori has like a 'mother' sauce on the simmer, which partially cooked chicken/beef/veg parts are dipped into before being thrown back on the grill. rinse, repeat. sauces don't get ever thrown out - only added to, like a good sourdough or something. so the meaty goodness accumulates over time. I've read some yakitori places have 20 year old mother sauces.

to recreate this, I use some thick roasted chicken stock, soy, mirin, sake, and lots of sugar. just play with the ratios until you get something awesome. less soy, more sugar+mirin is what I find works the best. too much soy and it gets bitter and too salty and out of wack.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bubbacub posted:

I'm planning to grill some mackerel this weekend. How does one season a grilled fish?

not salt, you brine the fish.

make an oceany puckery brine, and brine your thawed filets for ~15 minutes, or more like 30-45 for a whole mackerel. pat thoroughly dry. rub with oil, grill. sprinkle with sea salt on the grill, if you want - but that's just a finishing touch. standard japanese procedure for broiled salted fish is always brining afaik based on my reading. removes extra fishiness/blood as well as seasoning - makes sense to me.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So you stick the fish under the broiler, basically.

yes. standard in smaller japanese kitchens (commercial or otherwise) is a toaster oven set on broil. just pop a fish on some aluminum foil prepared re: above under the broiler for a few minutes, flip, and you've completed your mission.

alternately a small habachi grill with lumpwood charcoal - http://markdale.hubpages.com/hub/Hibachi-Grills - depending on your level of cookmancy tryhardness.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 23, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've read a million (7 or 8) japanese cookbooks, this one is amazing. just spend the 14 dollars if you're interested in the topic. best 14 dollars you'll spend http://www.amazon.com/The-Japanese-Kitchen-Recipes-Traditional/dp/1558321772

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

:(

that is 0% rice spergtumentary and 100% gross rice cooker advertisement.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hallo spacedog posted:

It's a decent starter book as far as English titles go. It's the first Japanese recipe book I owned (someone gave me a copy in 2001 or so) and I have made quite a few of the dishes. The front description is pretty good.
A lot of the recipes in there are heavily adapted or changed for a western kitchen, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. And a lot of them are the author's recipes that just use Japanese ingredients or techniques. It is a crowdpleasing book, I will give her that.

I like Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art (http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Cooking-A-Simple-Art/dp/1568363885/) for English language cookbooks, personally.

awesome, thanks for the recommendation. glad to hear from someone else who shares my enthusiasm for the One True Japanese Cookbook. I'll probably pick this up soon to give it a go.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in japan for the first time. I walked by a shop selling katsuobushi, did a double take, went inside. after a lot of broken english and google translate with the owner, I discovered there are tons of types of shaved dried fish, which makes complete sense, but I never realized before - for whatever dumb reason I thought it was just bonito. got some sand bream, mackerel. I'm now slightly sperging out and want to buy some whole dried filets and shave my own, and/or preserve my own at home. anyone have any resources on grades of katsoubushi, production, etc?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
here's my basically foolproof recipe for rice

• measure out about a cup of rice

• measure out about a cup and a fourth to a cup and a third water (depending on exact rice variety and how stupid and/or unlucky your dumb loving face is)

• dump the rice and water in a pot

• bring to a quick boil then reduce to a bare simmer and cover for 20 minutes

congrats you've made perfect rice.

if you do the whole rinsing thing with sushi rice you'll get better results, but it will complicate how much water you need. if you can't even make basic rice, it's not worth sperging about, just use a fixed amount of water and skip the rinsing until you figure it out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
does anyone know the magic technique behind 'burnt miso' ramen?

I had this poo poo in kyoto and it was.... insanely good...

google has failed me thusfar.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ALFbrot posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a series on it called Prime Japan. The host/narrator is largely insufferable, but then he gives way to a Japanese voiceover. Anyway, watch the episode about ramen. It might not actually give you kitchen tips, but there's a segment about a badass old lady who makes burnt miso ramen by manually double-blowtorching the poo poo out of the broth several times before serving.

awesome, thanks!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stringent posted:

For future reference, mirin is definitely one of those things you can leave out and nobody will notice.

For future reference, never trust cooking advice from forums user 'Stringent'.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Coincidentally, I just ate this in Kyoto three days ago. It is seriously awesome. We're you at Gogyo? The bowl looks like what I had. I'm also mulling over how to reproduce this.

yeah it was loving amazing. I just wandered in, didn't seek it out or anything. realizing how much of a happy coincidence that was in retrospect. by far the best bowl of ramen I had while in japan.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

I brought a bunch of fancy misos back from Japan and don't want to waste them. My impression is miso lasts basically forever if it's not opened and similarly forever if it's open but in the fridge, as long as it's not moldy it's fine. Am I correct in this?

yeah, put them in the fridge and you're fine. I have miso in my fridge that is 2 years old. you'll know when it's bad, it just gets dried out, turns darker, and is pretty clearly oxidized. discard the top layer and you're fine.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
well, you probably want your batter to be made with dashi, so the bontio flakes kinda aren't optional. also you need to add them afterwards, along with the mayo and okonomiyaki sauce.

aside from that, I think anything you griddled on a flat top that involved cabbage, squid shrimp or some sort of shellfish, batter made from dashi and probably egg, and some toppings would qualify as true okonomiyaki. I'd argue bontio, chives/green onion, mayo, and brown sauce has to be on top, but you could fight me on that I guess. bacon sounds like a wonderful plus, and go hogwild after that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I forgot about recently having posted in this thread, but in the meantime made some okonomiyaki. it was delicious

thin sliced a very small head of cabbage, some vidalia onions. cut in half 3 slices of benton's bacon, prepped kewpie-ish mayo, and okonomiyaki sauce. anori, green onions, and bontio flakes on hand.

made a batter (about 2cups total) of 50% flour, 25% dashi, 25% lager, 2 eggs, a few dashes of baking powder, good amount of salt and sugar. msg of course.

tossed the cabbage and onions in the batter

heated my flattop griddle pan for about 10 minutes, then doused with oil, and a splash of sesame oil. doled out my okonomiyaki into two portions, then laid bacon on top of one. griddled for 3 minutes, then flipped and let cook 5 minutes. flip, 5 minutes, then back for 3 minutes.

bacon perfectly cooked, fluffy batter, topped with the mayo, okonomiyaki, anori, green onions, and bonito

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

make this poo poo.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 30, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
unless I'm adding soy sauce to a soup or sauce or something, I rarely ever use more than a tablespoon or two in a dish. even if I want more salt, I think soy sauce is generally overpowering. If something called for 6 tablespoons of salty liquid, I'd probably use only 1-2 of soy, 1-2 of fish sauce, 1 of oyster sauce, and more salt/ if I needed, or bullion cubes or something. that's just my taste though. if the flavor is just supposed to be strictly soy, you can always just thin it out with water... aka 'use less'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hallo spacedog posted:

Ajinomoto dashi powder is the standard. I know GWS gets a little intense sometimes but there's very little reason to make your own dashi on a regular basis, in my opinion.

I promise I'm not sperging out or anything, but I pretty regularly make dashi, and aside from being incredibly easy, it's actually really useful (to me at least).

A. the flavor is 999 better than powder using good kombu and bontio (or whatever fish you choose to use) - and B. just having it on hand makes me think of ways to use it. I used it as a base for a shrimp pasta sauce with last week, and a few weeks ago found some ending up in a shellfish chowder.

anyways, once every several weeks I'll cook something Japanese, and really enjoy having dashi on hand to work with for the next week or so.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that's all really true

please noone read my post and decide not to cook japanese food at all. hondashi is completely alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

Sell me on homemade Japanese curry powder. I always use the packaged blocks because when I bother to get out my whole spices and start toasting and grinding, I'd rather just make actual Indian food instead.

here's my sell : use the loving blocks

japanese curry is pretty weak sauce, and you're right about just wanting to make actual indian food at that point.

there's not a single goddamn japanese person slaving meticulously over getting the freshest spices to hand grind for Japanese Curry

it's some poo poo that 7-11 got sold on about the time instant ramen became a thing, and S&B grew into a business and here we are.