Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
First, you’re making misoshiru or miso soup using miso someone else made. You can make your own miso too but it’s a lot more involved (see the fermentation thread).

But yeah that’s a good general purpose recipe.

For dashi, you can steep the kombu (and/or dried shiitake) anywhere from overnight in cold water to no time at all, and then simmer it for anywhere from 0-30m. You can add niboshi/iriko or katsuobushi anywhere during simmering or add it at the end as the stock cools. Any combination of these 4 ingredients and preparations is a legit dashi someone makes in some region of Japan, try em out and see which you like. I like to steep my kombu and especially dried shiitake (if I’m using it) overnight and then strain them out, heat the stock to near-boiling, kill the heat and steep a poo poo ton of katsuobushi in it for 5 minutes or so and then strain for the most delicate dashi. But everyday dashi I put the kombu in as I heat the pan of water and when it gets to a boil I toss in a less-extravagant amount of katsuobushi and simmer for 3-5” and strain and it’s almost as good. I rarely make niboshi dashi but when I do it’s usually just niboshi simmered alone for 15 min or so.

Once you’ve got your dashi, technically speaking you just need to stir in your preferred variety of miso (again there are tons and they are all used somewhere in Japan and they are all different and delicious) and you’re done. But in practice yes you should put 2-4 things in there first, and cook them for however long it will take to get your preferred texture (which might be different for different things). Traditionally you want an even balance of things that sink (tofu, for example) and things that float (like wakame). You can also quickly fry some of these things in a small amount of oil and then add the dashi and optionally some dashes of shoyu or sake, I pretty frequently make an Andoh recipe for hatcho miso soup that has you fry little slivers of onion and potato as the things (and garnish with chives).

After your cooked things are your preferred doneness, you stir in miso and add any things that don’t need to be cooked (sesame oil, wakame, mitsuba, scallion, etc etc).

So anyway yeah there is no one true way of making miso soup because there is not just one kind of miso soup people eat. But your steps do fall into the normally accepted way of doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Neither of those are common ingredients in miso soup and garlic is barely used in Japanese cooking at all.

So go nuts, do whatever you want.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Development posted:

thanksgiving: fish, it's what's for dinner.

this all looks good but those scallops are ridiculous!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I would be really surprised if there was a "standard" ratio at all, let alone two distinct yet standardized ratios that map to the two different pronunciations of 七. IIRC even which 7 spices are components can occasionally change by region/restaurant/home recipe.

e: to be extra clear, nana/なな and shichi/しち are the two ways to pronounce 七 in general in Japanese, that difference isn't specific to the spice blend or anything, it's inherent to the number/character.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 16, 2024

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep that's just an English translation/Romanization issue. If you look at the Japanese on both of those, the characters are identical. (That might be a little hard to see since the "shichimi" one is written in a scripty/brushstroke style... and the "shichimi" one also is written vertically and right-to-left, while the "nanami" one is written left-to-right on one line, but they really do have the identical characters 七味唐からし.)