Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
What does Santouka put in their spicy miso broth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I don't think it's ra-yu. I've had ra-yu

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Al Cowens posted:

I don't think it's ra-yu. I've had ra-yu
I'm bad at writing posts.

The ra-yu I've tried, despite being called "chili oil" was not very spicy at all. This broth is reasonably spicy. It might have ra-yu in it but whatever's giving it that flavor and burn I don't think is the ra-yu. If anyone can figure this out I'd appreciate it because I want that flavor in everything.

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen Koreanized ramen with that color here. Miso and gochujang.
This might be it. Either this or shichimi togarashi

Al Cowens fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 3, 2014

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
What's a good way of preparing ramen that's a nice compromise between doing it the real way by simmering pig bones for several hours and putting a $0.30 bag of ramen + spice packet in a microwave for 5 minutes? Looking for some middle ground here. Just make miso as described on the first page of this thread but add some noodles and precooked pork? and an egg?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

hallo spacedog posted:

Since miso soup and ramen broth are really different, I would highly recommend you look for these kits if you have a big Asian grocery near you. The H-Mart near me carries them and they're really good: Ramen Kits from Sun Ramen.
They're a little more expensive than instant ramen but a whole lot better, the noodles are fresh and tasty, and the broths are solid.
Also they're super easy to make.
This looks loving amazing. Thanks.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can someone recommend a good rice cooker? Budget would be about 50GBP or roughly 100USD.
A little over your stated budget but I got a zojirushi thing about on-par with this in 2006 which has never let me down since for about $120USD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I am fond of this rice spergtumentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KbRRHRbprU&t=926s