Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've actually had pretty good luck with some of the stuff off of https://en.cookpad.com/

Here's a chin jao rosu recipe I tried https://en.cookpad.com/recipe/525217

and a really good kakuni recipe https://en.cookpad.com/recipe/1030026

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Al Loo Min Um posted:

I heard about that recently. They've been translating some of the most popular recipes which is useful, the Japanese version won't let you filter by popularity or rating unless you pay for a premium account.

Yeah well, :japan:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The standardest of standard Japanese home cooked meals, but still so, so good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is more or less the range that comes standard in 90% of japanese homes. The drawer in the middle is a fish oven.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So you stick the fish under the broiler, basically.

With a water pan underneath, yep.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mindphlux posted:

not salt, you brine the fish.

make an oceany puckery brine, and brine your thawed filets for ~15 minutes, or more like 30-45 for a whole mackerel. pat thoroughly dry. rub with oil, grill. sprinkle with sea salt on the grill, if you want - but that's just a finishing touch. standard japanese procedure for broiled salted fish is always brining afaik based on my reading. removes extra fishiness/blood as well as seasoning - makes sense to me.

yes. standard in smaller japanese kitchens (commercial or otherwise) is a toaster oven set on broil. just pop a fish on some aluminum foil prepared re: above under the broiler for a few minutes, flip, and you've completed your mission.

alternately a small habachi grill with lumpwood charcoal - http://markdale.hubpages.com/hub/Hibachi-Grills - depending on your level of cookmancy tryhardness.

Interesting, I've never heard of brining sanma, we always just sprinkle salt. Some stuff comes from the store brined but it's always cut fish. I'll give it a shot next time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Had a bit of an adventure tonight. Last night I went to a combination Okinawan/Indian restaurant, which is weird enough on it's own, but for some reason they came out at the end with a bunch of sazae and asked if we wanted them.

Of course I said yes, but I'd never cooked them before so here we go...

Here they are, two were in their shells, one was out:

Here's what the meat looks like:

And the guts (the internet says some people eat them, I tossed them):

So apparently the way you cook these things is, you clean out the shell then fill it with nihonshu, put the meat back in the shell and boil it over an open flame:

And here's one of them cooked:

I left off one or two pics so here's the album if you're interested http://imgur.com/a/hQjNp

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hallo spacedog posted:

Sazae is delicious. I've had it cooked with soy sauce and butter before and it's great. Awabi another shellfish is delicious that way too.

Yeah I cooked down the nihonshu from the shells with soy and butter for a sauce. Was nice tasted like a very subtle mushroom that had been brined. Texture was like very good octopus. I enjoyed it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HDro-KP9Wo

:stare:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you don't already know how to make tamagoyaki that's a good one to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PrwJxZfBH8

Shogayaki is another one that's easy to make and transports pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9CUm-2cui8

*edit*
I'd never watched her recipe before, this one is simpler and has turned out well for me:
https://en.cookpad.com/recipe/972019

Stringent fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 21, 2014

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd take a shitload of miso and nihonshu.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nabe is a superset of all those hot pot dishes. Shabushabu, sukiyaki, chanko, etc. are subsets.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

If i don't have sake around (or at least cheaper sake i don't mind cooking with), what can i sub for yakitori sauce?

I've got the following recipes which at least give me the basic profile: Can i just use mirin and skip the sake? Use some chinese cooking rice wine? Or is the sake a fundamental part of the sauce?

From a link in this thread: there were 3 versions:

YAKITORI TARE 1
-Soy sauce: 130 cc/ml
-Japanese sake: 100 cc/ml
-Sweet Japanese sake/mirin: 100 cc/ml
-Mizuame: 50 g (if unavailable, use corn syrup) (or honey)
-Sugar: 30 g
-Garlic: 1 clove (chopped)
-Fresh ginger: 5x5cm piece (Thinly sliced)

YAKITORI TARE 2
INGREDIENTS:

-Soy sauce: 50~60 cc/ml
-Sweet Japanese sake/mirin: 50 cc/ml
-Japanese sake: 50 cc/ml
-Sugar: 1 tablespoon

YAKITORI TARE 3
INGREDIENTS:

-Japanese sake: 1 tablespoon
-Japanese sweet sake/mirin: 1 tablespoon
-White wine: 2 tablespoons
-Light soy sauce: 7 tablespoons
-Thick soy sauce (tamari shoyu): 1/2 teaspoon
-Brown sugar: 7 tablespoons
-Black pepper: as appropriate
-Garlic: 3g (grated)

Cooking with dog:

You can use Chinese cooking wine, I actually prefer it on meat dishes.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

toplitzin posted:

I assume white over shaoxing? I ask because I realized i have both.

I've only used shaoxing, never seen white before.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SweetBro posted:

Going to glorious nippon like the weeb trash I am in a few weeks. Any recommendations as far as restaurants go? With some kobe beef being the primary goal and amazing sushi being the secondary goal.

Also, I wanna make a decent meal using the fresh local ingredients (I'll be in Tokyo) for my host. Any recommendations for someone who's capable of following a recipe and improvising a bit, but probably wouldn't trust to get the timing on a souffle correct?

This is one of the best sushi places in Tokyo, but you'll need to book right now if you're coming in a few weeks.

https://s.tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1301/A130103/13024076/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

emotive posted:

Is it a dumb idea to pulverize dried shiitakes and kombu for dashi instead of doing an overnight soak and simmer? Seems like this is pretty popular among chefs, however I am not one.

If it is a good idea, what kind of ratio are we talking so it's not super overpowering?

It's dumb in Japan given how much premade is readily available, but probably a good experience in any case, so go for it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

emotive posted:

I haven't found any vegetarian options for the premade dashi powder; but if you have any recommendations, feel free.

The only recommendation I feel comfortable offering to vegetarians is to go gently caress yourself, so...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent posted:

The only recommendation I feel comfortable offering to vegetarians is to go gently caress yourself, so...

This was inappropriate for this thread. I somehow missed I was in GWS and thought this was the GBS Japan thread for some reason.

You probably dgaf, but sorry about that emotive.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It just doesn't occur to people to be vegetarian. The food is extremely well balanced compared to American food, with lots of vegetables and very small portions of meat. I think, in the US at least, vegetarianism is largely a reaction to the awful meat/starch diet that so many Americans fall into, but that just isn't really a thing in Japan.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

net work error posted:

How long does miso keep in the fridge once opened?

I don't think we've ever had a batch go bad before finishing it. We've definitely had some in the fridge for over 6 months and it was still fine. Until you see mold on it would probably be the best answer.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Wagyu steaks are best cut at around half an inch to an inch, seared quickly over high heat if you want crust, then finished over medium heat imo. I'm not a huge fan of wagyu for steaks though, I think wagyu shines brightest in shabu shabu and (heresy incoming) stews. The place I buy meat here (Tokyo) sells off cuts of wagyu for stew and lemme tell you beef bourguignon with wagyu is some good poo poo.

Here's some shots of one of my better attempts.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Dunno, it appears to be in Chinese. Probably be fine, it looks OK.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mindphlux posted:

in japan for the first time. I walked by a shop selling katsuobushi, did a double take, went inside. after a lot of broken english and google translate with the owner, I discovered there are tons of types of shaved dried fish, which makes complete sense, but I never realized before - for whatever dumb reason I thought it was just bonito. got some sand bream, mackerel. I'm now slightly sperging out and want to buy some whole dried filets and shave my own, and/or preserve my own at home. anyone have any resources on grades of katsoubushi, production, etc?

Is that in yotsuya?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
For future reference, mirin is definitely one of those things you can leave out and nobody will notice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nah son, like gf said, one you got sake and sugar (which is 90% of the recipes that call for mirin), you can get away without it.

I mean, better if you got it but you can get away without it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You should give this a shot, the ramen he's trying to copy owns:

http://ramenrecipe.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-127.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Is tako wasabi considered spicy?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm just using normal Kikkoman soy sauce. The bottle is two months old tops.

The recipe was

6 table spoons soy sauce
2 table spoons mirin
2 table spoons sake
1 inch grated ginger

I added the red pepper flakes on my own.

Also, does anyone have a preferred Mapo Tofu recipe? I think I want to make that soon.

Yeah, the soy ratio should be 2 to 1. So drop that to 4 tbsp and you'll be in business.

Gravity's guide is the place to start for mapo:
http://goonswithspoons.com/Ma_Po_Tofu,_Gravity%27s_Guide

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
To you and mindphlux both I would say: wrong thread.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hallo spacedog posted:

It makes sense for those purposes, just thinking of other threads in GWS, and if it comes down to a lot of people who maybe read these threads but don't post feeling intimidated about even trying to make some basic Japanese recipes for the first time because they don't have konbu and bonito, or can't get hon mirin, I'd rather encourage them to try by letting them know that it's not a huge difference and a large portion of Japanese home cooking uses dashi powder and aji mirin.

Or even no mirin at all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Kakuni (豚の角煮)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
All that goes on steak is salt and pepper. :colbert:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Did you make the chashu? Looks great!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Chinese is usually better anyhow, lots of good ramen places in Tokyo use it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mindphlux posted:

here's my sell : use the loving blocks

japanese curry is pretty weak sauce, and you're right about just wanting to make actual indian food at that point.

there's not a single goddamn japanese person slaving meticulously over getting the freshest spices to hand grind for Japanese Curry

it's some poo poo that 7-11 got sold on about the time instant ramen became a thing, and S&B grew into a business and here we are.

Somebody's never been to Moyan Curry I see.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It won't spoil for a week, dunno if you consider that good or not.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Looks good!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
さらば Francis...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Honestly most home cooking Japanese food is pretty simple. I always think of it in the same vein as Italian in that you get the best ingredients you can find and don't gently caress with them too much. Browse around justonecookbook.com until you find something that looks good.

That's right. To that end it's sanma season~~~~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
K&L is probably going to be a decent bet: http://www.klwines.com/Products/r?r=0+4294964547&d=1&t=&o=8&z=False