Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Sashimi posted:

You could always try making Osaka style. Ingredients are all the same, but most of it is cooked inside the batter instead of piling it on in layers.

I personally prefer the Osaka style, anyway. I had Hiroshima style in... Hiroshima and it seemed a bit too heavy on the plain carb layers for me, with the noodles and the crepe. I prefer the ingredients distributed throughout the pancake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

This reddit post also seemed pretty promising for a great tonkotsu broth: https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments/2l2eas/here_it_is_the_granddaddy_of_them_all_homemade_18/

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Hotdog musubis are real and good in Hawaii, though

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Don't mind the clickbait title, it's really not that hard. I like this recipe and technique from this youtuber (used to be a sushi chef at a great local omakase spot in SF). You can make it in any sort of wide bowl, though something wooden like a hangiri helps wick away excess moisture from the rice and prevents it from getting too gummy. The key bit is to make sure the rice grains don't get crushed as you're handling it through the washing and mixing process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfW9nSqy_3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsBHBMrm-wg

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Oh dang MV got a nice sushi spot? I moved too early...

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Development posted:

Yep, south bay finally got a nice omakase place that isn't a money grab like Hiroshi. I went to Katsu (downtown MV) during their soft opening and it was good, but they still needed to work a few things out. It's a bit expensive and for only $50 more you can get Yoshizumi, so I'm not in a rush to go back. MV also has a new-ish omakase called Sushi Jin (random rear end strip mall), but their nigiri are too small and people often complain that they are still hungry after. HMU to talk sushi if you're still in the bay area!

Yup, in the east bay now! There's a place called Mujiri that was doing takeout in Oakland during the heat of COVID that I think transitioned over to full service restauranting not that long ago that I've been meaning to check out. Also curious about ju-ni's new handroll bar Handroll Project in the Mission, but not curious enough to want to drive there and wait in that long line...

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Got a trip to Japan planned in December. How do I like, find good places to eat there? Do I just kind of stumble around on tabelog to see what's good? I saw that Yelp works there but I'm pretty sure only American people use it there so I'd like to know ways to find places I might otherwise miss by sticking to English language stuff.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I should clarify that I definitely plan on just wandering for the vast majority of my time there, but would like to scope out at least a small handful of places that I should make plans to go to. I've been to Japan before for work, and with family, but not really with as much autonomy as I'll have this time around, so I'm pretty excited.

While we're on the subject, anyone know a good spot to pick up some nice knives? I figure I've been looking at getting a sujihiki and maybe a deba and gyuto as well and I might as well take advantage of the USD:JPY conversion while I'm there.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That explains some stuff. I was using ham and pork bone broths I had prepared and canned beforehand which got some salt thrown in them, so I was doomed from the beginning.

Edit, more: There's another one of their things that my wife particularly likes. It's the Nu Skool, which is a vegan offering using an "almond milk tonkotsu." Has anybody here experimented in that general area? We aren't vegan, but my wife wants to eat more vegetables (and I really should too). I think I will get more chances at refining something like that than a thick miso meat stew, so I should give something like that some attention. Just searching that Ramen_Lord document for "vegan" was not getting me much.

Edit edit: for hot sauces, we've come to really like Youki's Touban Jian. Really sharp pepper aroma.

I've made this recipe for myself and a couple of friends and it was actually quite good -- added some ajitama so not technically vegan but the sun dried tomatoes were a great topping too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUPGGcGM6Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Gripweed posted:

My mom wants to learn how to cook ramen. I got her a ramen cookbook, and I also want to get her stuff for ramen that might be hard to source at her regular grocery stores, HEB and Trader Joes. I've already got a bottle of mirin, is there anything else I should add to this ramen starter kit?

Mirin, various nice soy sauces, katsuobushi, niboshi, kombu, dried shiitake, MSG if she's into that, that fat separator cup from Oxo, individual noodle strainers, big soup strainers, big stock pots are all super useful things to have.

This is still basically the best one-stop English language ramen making resource you're gonna get out there, definitely worth sending it to her. It really goes into great detail on all the different components (and also clearly illustrates how much work ramen is)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLPoLxek3WLQJDtU6i3300_0nNioqeYXi7vESrtNvjQ/edit?usp=sharing

I guess I didn't post it here yet, but I did a 50 person ramen pop up at my friend's event last weekend and I was really happy with how things turned out. It was a chicken and pork chintan/katsuo and saba dashi double soup, shoyu tare, negi and niboshi infused chicken fat, with noodles from a local craft noodle producer and the normal ramen toppings. I bought a pack of dehydrated menma when I was last in Japan and rehydrated and seasoned it myself as well.

In the frenzy of all the prep I did leading up to the event, I forgot to order bowls so my friend had to go to Costco and just get whatever they had lol

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 15, 2023