Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

So what do you nice people think about Japanese-style curry? I haven't seen many posts on it, but it's something I make a lot, especially in winter. I use Yuko Ota's recipe, and I've always found it to be very good.

Just checking to see if this is legit or a troll. Because it sounds kinda delicious, and kinda trashy at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The instant roux blocks are *the* taste of navy curry. Sure, it's not like a super traditional 200 year old recipe or anything, but it IS traditional while still sort of trashy. Kind of how Heinz Beans are *the* beans you want with a full English breakfast.

I can see that. I have made countless Thai curries using the little cans of green or red curry paste. drat those are good.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Made golden curry, loved it. Thanks, Japanese thread!

I'm dead tired right now, and wish I had ingredients to make it again.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Have some <1in boneless pork chops and I'd like to try making pork katsu. Anyone have a good recipe?

Also, I love Silver Spoon (the manga posted above) and how much they really enjoy the delicious foods they eat. It made me try raw egg on hot rice, and it IS delicious.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Looking at recipes for tonkatsu and seeing that it's generally served with shredded cabbage. All the pictures seem to show a green cabbage, but I have half a red one in my fridge. I very seldom eat cabbage and am not sure of it's purpose with this dish, so checking to see if red would be a fair substitution.

Is it really just thinly shredded cabbage? Or is there some sort of dressing normally served on it?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I bought some furikake last time I was at the Asian store and finally used it tonight. Holy poo poo it is gods gift to man. It's amazing.

I'm probably gonna make some rice balls tomorrow and cover them in it. What should I put in the middle?

I like to put it on tamago gohan - which I make for breakfast several times a week every since discovering how delicious it is. I bought a tiny little rice cooker for work just so I could make delicious eggy rice there.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I've had good results with using the curry roux and just punching it up a little. Some garam masala (made in advance), a bit of curry powder, some fresh garlic and ginger, and it just seems to give it that little push to something special. That, and mixing two different roux flavors seems to make it a bit more interesting too.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

We do about 3.5c of water for half a package (4 to 6 blocks depending on the brand), about a lb of meat, a lb of potatoes/carrots/sweet potatoes, and a couple big onions. I also find that mixing a few different flavors of curry roux make a better flavor, and when I'm feeling specially proactive will toss in extra curry powder, garlic and ginger.

Should look more like this

or just see the picture on the box: :)

EVG fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 13, 2017

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

ntan1 posted:

It's dashi sperg time.

Is the Hondashi granulated stock base I can get at my local Asian market okay to use, or just trash? It's all I've used before and it seems okay, if not spectacular.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Awesome, thanks.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Finally found Japanese onions at the market and bought it on a whim. What should I make with it?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Negi, I assume?

There aren't really like, negi-focused dishes much. Beef negimaki I suppose, or use them in yakitori.

Correct, thanks. I’ve also been led to understand they are good with duck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's a leek...

His Japanese name is literally “Negi Duck” (Kamonegi). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯