Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

JohnCompany posted:

Anyone have tips for actually good zaru soba stuff in a grocery store? I really like it done right, but all the soba noodles and sauces I try to by are just insipid.

Just make your own sauce. All you need is soy sauce, mirin and sugar, then combine that with dashi to make mentsuyu. Maki's recipe is good: http://www.justhungry.com/basics-kaeshi-soba-and-udon-noodle-soup-or-sauce-base

As for the noodles, I'm not clear on what the problem is. The most important thing is to make sure you're cooking them correctly (cooling and washing them to remove the starch). What qualities do you prefer in soba?

wontondestruction posted:

Wait. Kudzu starch? Fo real, that is a product?

Definitely. You can use it a lot like cornstarch (breading for frying or thickening sauces). Also, kuzumochi is great (although before it sets it looks suspiciously like cum).

Before: After (with toppings):

midori-a-gogo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Just bought some kojikin, about to embark on a winter project of making my own miso and doburoku. (This website seems pretty comprehensive by the way if anyone else is interested!)

I know someone else in this thread was messing around with kojikin a while back but I might still post some how-tos and trip reports if anyone's interested.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
I promised back in November to post about making miso. I finally got around to making it in February and I thought I'd be posting now with the final result but, living in England, my house hasn't been warm enough so the fermentation is not quite there yet... maybe in another month or so.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, now's a good time to start. This makes about 1kg/2lbs of miso.

250g dried soybeans
450g dried komekoji OR 500g fresh komekoji
144g salt

A note about komekoji: this is rice that has been inoculated with kojikin spores. You can try making this yourself, or you can gently caress it up like me and have to use storebought komekoji instead. In the US Cold Mountain koji seems popular. I used this very standard stuff which you should be able to find at practically any Japanese grocery:

First, you'll want to rehydrate the soybeans for 8-12 hours. Then, bring the beans to a boil. There'll be lots of scum, which you'll want to skim off as thoroughly as you can because it turns into horrible little gray rubbery lumps if it's left to boil. Once you've gotten rid of the scum, cover the pot and reduce to a simmer for up to 6 hours or until the beans are soft enough you can crush one between your fingers. (You can use a pressure cooker for this, of course - internet suggests it only takes 20 minutes if you do.)

In the meantime, prepare the koji. If you're using storebought koji, you'll need first to gently break it apart in a bowl large enough to eventually fit all the ingredients with room to mix. Gloved hands are best for this. Reserve 15g of the salt and put the rest of it in the bowl with the koji. Mix it together well, breaking apart any lumps you find in the koji as you go.

When the beans are done cooking, take them off the heat and if there are any skins floating in the pot, remove them. Then, strain the beans (reserving the water) and make them into a paste in your blender/food processor/whatever. They need to be blended to a super smooth consistency or else your results may be terrible. Once you've blended the beans, you'll need to set the paste aside until they're cool enough to not kill the kojikin - below 36 c or 97 f.

Once the paste is cooled, add it to the koji-salt mixture and mix thoroughly (again, gloved hands are best). If you have any old miso laying around, you can add a couple tablespoons of it now to kickstart the fermentation process, but if you don't it's all good. Once you've mixed it all together, if you feel the mixture is too dry, add a little of the reserved water. Most likely it will only feel a little too dry if you're using the dried komekoji instead of fresh. You don't want to add too much because some moisture will come out during the fermentation process. The mixture should have roughly the consistency of Play-doh.

Slowly add an appropriate sized jar (mine's a 950ml swing top), pressing down firmly as you go to ensure there are no air pockets, and sprinkle the top with the reserved 15g of salt to prevent mold formation. Wait for one to ??? months depending on your climate - if fermentation is going well, the komekoji will start to break down and the miso will turn a deeper shade of brown. Once you're happy with the miso, put it in your fridge and enjoy!

Hurry the gently caress up!

My next big scheme: making faux umeboshi from greengages.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

Scythe posted:

This is cool. Have you tasted it yet?

Also, if you're lazy and cool with a more "rustic" style of miso, I bet you can skip the scum skimming (that's just protein, same as inside the soybeans, I'd expect it to break down again in fermentation), leave the skins in (which I'd expect to partially break down and partially not), and not worry about blending it super thoroughly. (Obviously if you've skipped any of those before and it sucks for some reason correct me.)

This seems way more accessible than other miso recipes (I was primarily looking at the Noma Guide to Fermentation one which has you growing your own koji from spores and wants lots of temperature control). I might try it, thanks for posting!

I hope you do try it! What's the worst that can happen?

You really don't want to leave the scum in in my experience, it has the texture of bits of eraser after all that boiling. I mean it's not poisonous or anything, just kind of disturbing. You can totally leave the floating skins in. However you do want most of the beans blended very thoroughly to aid with fermentation, although some chunks are fine (and delicious).

My friend says a yogurt maker is an easy way to make fresh komekoji yourself - that need for temperature control is exactly what hosed my attempt up.

Got a ton of unripe green plums today so I'm gonna leave half to ripen to make faux-umeboshi from and throw the rest into some vodka with sugar for umeshu.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Marinating it in shio koji overnight then broiling it is my first quick suggestion.

I would've said substitute it for the yellowtail in buri daikon, but if you didn't like it simmered in soy sauce/mirin/sake/ginger, I doubt the addition of daikon is going to help.

A simple sanpeijiru could be good?

Or try konbu-jime for something lighter? The way the flavor of the konbu transfers to (imo, rather bland) white fish is very nice.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
You can order Nishiki rice from Sainsburys; some bigger stores have it in stock. https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/nishiki-medium-grain-rice-45kg

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

midori-a-gogo posted:

Got a ton of unripe greengage plums today so I'm gonna leave half to ripen to make faux-umeboshi from and throw the rest into some vodka with sugar for umeshu.

Update: This has been a much more successful experiment than the miso. Gonna let it age for another 6 months before removing the fruit but I had a little sneak taste and the faux-umeshu is very, very good. I'm sure most people won't find it much easier to get unripe greengages than to get ume, but if you're in western Europe or near a Turkish or Iranian community, they should start to be available around April.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
back on my faux-umeboshi bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Put the nice shoyu over vanilla ice cream (not kidding)