Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
One thing I've found is curry bricks make a LOT of roux. Like, triple what the box asks for (except the water) and you'll be set for a couple days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

really? It's way thin if you put more water than it asks for. It's supposed to be hilariously goopy and thick.

Except the water. I usually drain off any liquids and use that towards however much it calls for, but add in a ton more ingredients because I eat it for a couple days after.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Can you do anything with natto besides eat it over rice and natto jiru? Now that I'm over the smell/texture I'm interested in cooking with it, but those are the only ways I've seen it used.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

When I soak rice do I add the usual amount of water I would, soak, then just turn on the pot? Or do I drain off the soaking water then add X amount again? I'm assuming the former.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I got some short grain rice soaking this morning, but by the time I got home I was too lazy to cook. Can I stick it in the fridge, then make it with fresh water tomorrow?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I stopped using a cooker because I only have one of the cheap ones and I'm not crazy about how it comes out (not that stovetop is all that harder). It's also about making stuff to go around with the rice :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

ScottyWired posted:

Don't remember if I got it off this thread but I did this baked tonkatsu for dinner. About to move out of my grandparent's place, so I'm cooking more often. I called it "crumbed pork" because I know they'd complain about a weird name

Had no panko or other crumbs so I just put some cornflakes in a plastic bag and beat it with a hammer. Worked well.
Sauce was worcester, tomato sauce and some crazy hot tiny peppers that grow in the yard of my shut-in (dead?) neighbour. They won't mind. Just crushing them and putting them in gave it some punch, not sure if I want to grind them up more next time.
Bought a $14 rice cooker, it works really well for the cost. Not that I've had any before to compare it to.

Looks like dog barf because bad camera + I ate the eye-pleasing green beans in the time it took to whip out my phone

Now I feel less guilty using a box of Oven Fry (basically the same as shake and bake but more crumbs I think?) to do the pork the first time I made tonkatsu.