Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I have this game but I literally can't force myself past the first 30 minutes because the combat is boring and the stealth is the worst stealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

so much about that game was good except the gameplay was garbage, like most of obsidians games

edit: yeah the guy above me summed it up even better

also did you guys play their south park game?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

I have this game but I literally can't force myself past the first 30 minutes because the combat is boring and the stealth is the worst stealth

use fists

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

time to confess: I actually only watched an LP of the game cause I heard the gameplay sucks but I love stealth games so I was still curious

I kind of regret not purchasing and playing it first cause everything else is awesome about the game, guess I'll buy it on sale and check it out

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its fun gently caress the haters

dont use the cover system ever

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I actually liked AP's gameplay. I enjoyed the power curve (start as a pretty bad spy and become an overpowered killing machine), the variety in builds (yeah, pistols are stronger, but everything ends up being really strong if you level it up) and I thought the stealth was serviceable.

e: I really liked the timed conversations in AP, and it's one of the few games in which I'd say the conversations were part of the gameplay.

Mash posted:

Yeah, I thought it was good. It was basically an 8 hours long South Park episode, with a lot of references to the series. The combat was way too easy on Hard, it ended up being repetitive and boring (from what I've read, it's because Ubisoft had Obsidian make it easier). It's a great South Park game for South Park fans, but not really a great Obsidian RPG for RPG fans.

Falsum fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 19, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mash posted:

so much about that game was good except the gameplay was garbage, like most of obsidians games

edit: yeah the guy above me summed it up even better

obsidians made like 4 games havent they
alpha protocol, the south park game, new vegas, dungeon siege 3

i thought the latter two were pretty fun, gameplay wise

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
They also made NWN2 and its addons

e: And Kotor 2.

Falsum fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 19, 2014

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Falsum posted:

It's a great South Park game for South Park fans, but not really a great Obsidian RPG for RPG fan.

yeah that's a pretty accurate way of describing that game. as a south park fan i really did enjoy the jokes and references (which were loving EVERYWHERE jesus christ (heh)) but i was disappointed with the third act of that game even though kennys boss fight was kind of well done

fronz posted:

obsidians made like 4 games havent they
alpha protocol, the south park game, new vegas, dungeon siege 3

i thought the latter two were pretty fun, gameplay wise

yeah they haven't made too many games but each one just always has some sort of big problem

and don't forget about kotor2

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mash posted:

yeah that's a pretty accurate way of describing that game. as a south park fan i really did enjoy the jokes and references (which were loving EVERYWHERE jesus christ (heh)) but i was disappointed with the third act of that game even though kennys boss fight was kind of well done

yeah they haven't made too many games but each one just always has some sort of big problem

and don't forget about kotor2

I regularly forget about kotor 2.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

fronz posted:

I regularly forget about kotor 2.

that is a probably that affects people every day

you can remedy that by playing it again

thank you for listening :)

Dec 26, 2012

Dirty Job posted:

run at everything blind firing smg's instead of doing things that arent that

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Falsum posted:

Yeah, it was made by Obsidian

wasnt that the one where the publisher screwed them out of getting paid by using some bullshit technicality

Soral
May 30, 2009

if your question begins with "isnt obsidian the one where the publisher screwed them..." the answer is yes

Soral
May 30, 2009

please dont poke obvious holes in my otherwise perfect theory

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

I Said No posted:

wasnt that the one where the publisher screwed them out of getting paid by using some bullshit technicality

if i remember correctly, obsidian was promised a bonus from bethesda if new vegas got a certain metacritic score. new vegas got slightly lower than the score and thus didn't get the bonus. you might remember that the big criticism of new vegas when it came out was that it was really buggy. a lot of folks believe that bethesda intentionally did a terrible job on QA for new vegas so they wouldn't have to pay the bonus.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

if i remember correctly, obsidian was promised a bonus from bethesda if new vegas got a certain metacritic score. new vegas got slightly lower than the score and thus didn't get the bonus. you might remember that the big criticism of new vegas when it came out was that it was really buggy. a lot of folks believe that bethesda intentionally did a terrible job on QA for new vegas so they wouldn't have to pay the bonus.

todd howard did 85+

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Dirty Job posted:

Go martial arts shotty and play with a controller for the most laid back gaming experience.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Gobblecoque posted:

In addition to it being buggy, a lot of reviewers actually thought Fallout 3 was better, when it was in fact worse in every way.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

alpha protocol pro tips:
-the boss fights are insanely crap so use the insanely broken pistol skill to essentially bypass them
-use a controller for the hacking segments (at least i think thats the part thats broken with kb/m, cant say for sure as i played the whole game with a controller)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Scyther posted:

alpha protocol pro tips:
-the boss fights are insanely crap so use the insanely broken pistol skill to essentially bypass them
-use a controller for the hacking segments (at least i think thats the part thats broken with kb/m, cant say for sure as i played the whole game with a controller)

yeah, hacking is floaty with a mouse

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Has Bethesda made a game that wasn't worse than some other game in literally every way?

Dec 26, 2012

Scyther posted:

alpha protocol pro tips:

beating every boss fight on my no-guns run was mostly an uphill battle but incredibly cathartic once i succeeded

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

alpha protocol is not fun to play please dont listen to these people

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
every time someone says alfa protocal is fun my rear end in a top hat itches

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jackie D posted:

alpha protocol is not fun to play please dont listen to these people

I disagree.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They should have called it Alpha PrOwntocol, because it owns

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scyther posted:

alpha protocol pro tips:

Still better than the ones in Deus Ex: HR were at launch.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Scyther posted:

alpha protocol pro tips:

Every minigame is doable with a kb+m, but hacking and lockpicking feel bad because mouse movement acts like a thumbstick.

Also, if you're about to run out of time on the hacking minigame, manually canceling the minigame won't trigger the alarm except in one instance (I forget which one though). I think that's also the case for most electronic bypass minigames. I don't remember if that's the case for lockpicking though.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Hog Butcher posted:

the community has horse vaginas covered, get on it bethesda

paging slof

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Gobblecoque posted:

If they hadn't had to work with the PS3 whatsoever I can guarantee you that there would have been more QA work done. Obsidian coming out after new Vegas was released and talking about how much of a pain in the rear end working with the cell architecture was spot on. The engine was already creaky enough and having to gently caress with it on the way the cell processor apportions resources is really silly.

This isn't to defend Bethesda; their handling of Skyrim on the PS3 was shameful. I've worked a tiny bit with attempting to emulate the PS3 and gently caress that noise much less trying to adapt a stupidly broken engine to it with 18 months total dev time for all platforms. Bethesda really screwed Obsidian on that.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I liked how Fallout 3 was an almost-decent looking game and then they applied a lovely green filter to everything for no reason

actually no that was one of the worst things in a kind of bad game

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The extreme reactions of places like NMA to Fallout 3 were way more pathetic and funny than Fallout 3 was or ever will be.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Widestancer posted:

The extreme reactions of places like NMA to Fallout 3 were way more pathetic and funny than Fallout 3 was or ever will be.

Just checked, and there are still people posting there in 2014 that refuse to admit that FO3/NV exist

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Widestancer posted:

If they hadn't had to work with the PS3 whatsoever I can guarantee you that there would have been more QA work done. Obsidian coming out after new Vegas was released and talking about how much of a pain in the rear end working with the cell architecture was spot on. The engine was already creaky enough and having to gently caress with it on the way the cell processor apportions resources is really silly.

This isn't to defend Bethesda; their handling of Skyrim on the PS3 was shameful. I've worked a tiny bit with attempting to emulate the PS3 and gently caress that noise much less trying to adapt a stupidly broken engine to it with 18 months total dev time for all platforms. Bethesda really screwed Obsidian on that.

I genuinely have no idea how Crytek managed to port Crysis 1 over to the 360/ps3 with the limitations on hardware, like, drat. At the same time they were updating CryEngine 2 to support PS3 and 360 natively, so I imagine that entire situation was hell

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Vhadka posted:

Just checked, and there are still people posting there in 2014 that refuse to admit that FO3/NV exist

is there a "best of" for NMA or NMA.txt

for years i've been hearing about how godawful those people are; they're held in the same regard as furries and bronies it seems and i guess i'm ready to see just how bad they really are

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Doubt it, they are kind of boringly pathetic most of the time. Could probably get some good quotes if you dig back to the Fallout 3 launch, but for the most part it's just another group of pathetic nerds who refuse to accept that any game post-y2k is good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Gobblecoque posted:

Isn't it more likely that they did the same lovely quality QA that Bethesda always does, and it only screwed Obsidian because they aren't a big name publisher that holds games "journalists" by the balls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

How does Bethesda even make money anymore? What are they actually good at?

They can't make a stable game engine
They can't script NPCs or quests or basically anything reliably
They are awful at writing in-game dialogue
They suck at telling a decent story, not to mention integrating it into an open-world setting without it feeling forced
Horse Armor
They can't even make that great a setting anymore. Skyrim was okay but Oblivion and Fallout 3 were just generic and empty.
They really suck at designing fun RPG systems which don't punish leveling up

They should fire everyone and then just give the rights to TES and Fallout to Obsidian.

• Locked thread