Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Common Sensei posted:

How does Bethesda even make money anymore? What are they actually good at?

They can't make a stable game engine
They can't script NPCs or quests or basically anything reliably
They are awful at writing in-game dialogue
They suck at telling a decent story, not to mention integrating it into an open-world setting without it feeling forced
Horse Armor
They can't even make that great a setting anymore. Skyrim was okay but Oblivion and Fallout 3 were just generic and empty.
They really suck at designing fun RPG systems which don't punish leveling up

They should fire everyone and then just give the rights to TES and Fallout to Obsidian.

coasting along on skyrim sales which were basically because of lord of the rings and game of thrones, and probably fable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Common Sensei posted:

They suck at telling a decent story, not to mention integrating it into an open-world setting without it feeling forced
Horse Armor
They can't even make that great a setting anymore. Skyrim was okay but Oblivion and Fallout 3 were just generic and empty.

They should fire everyone and then just give the rights to TES and Fallout to Obsidian.

Advertising.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Common Sensei posted:

Horse Armor

retarded gamers who make and install 50 mods to make bethesda games barely playable and 'fun'

Soral
May 30, 2009

Common Sensei posted:

Horse Armor

lovers lab dot com

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Bethesda was approached to make a GOT game, but they turned it down and made Skyrim instead.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

dishonored is pretty good actually

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Dishonored was developed by Arkane though, Bethesda just published it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I would kill for an Obsidian made TES game

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

dishonored was cool i liked stopping time and pretending i was playing a Japanese Manga Game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

horse vagina mods

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i thought skyrim was okay but then i tried playing it again and i couldnt

i just couldnt

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

movespeed was tied to resolution

hahahaha

i watched a friend play this and there was a segment he couldn't beat because he was playing it at like 1440x900 and ran like theodore roosevelt

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
are you implying Theodore Roosevelt was slow?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

someone just did a legit good lp of this in the 2007 thread and it's one of those games where you feel like the devs really cared but also didn't know what direction they were going with at any point

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Sharmat posted:

He meant Taft

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
phew good save on the bismirched named of theodore roosevelt there *puts call in to washington* the legacy is safe, prodigy of TR

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's always kind of sad to see games like this that have these glimmers of real hope and they just get poo poo all the gently caress over
see: deadly premonition,

matrix ripoff posted:

phew good save on the bismirched named of theodore roosevelt there *puts call in to washington* the legacy is safe, prodigy of TR

TR personally murdered thousands of cubans

never forget

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 26, 2014

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

never forget

remember the maine, war with spain

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

i'm just saying they don't give medals for being the usain bolt of polio-havers

Dec 26, 2012

thats franklin, dingus

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hole Wolf posted:

Wrong Rooosevelt.

Teddy was the non-cripple who shot endangered animals with big guns and created the national parks.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Hole Wolf posted:

this would have been a sweet burn if only

The Taint Reaper posted:

Wrong Rooosevelt.

Teddy was the non-cripple who shot endangered animals with big guns and created the national parks.
ah there you are

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

gently caress.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i'll give you credit for construction but you drop a letter and a half for being completely loving wrong

research before you post(erch)

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

matrix ripoff posted:

i'll give you credit for construction but you drop a letter and a half for being completely loving wrong

research before you post(erch)

i did even

i googled "roosevelt polio" and saw "yeah he totally had polio" and was like cool and posted it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
teddy will get that hedgehog someday

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
lmao if u have to google before making a joke

make that poo poo on the fly and get it right the first time or don't do it at all

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
but thanks for the behind the curtain look at the postin process

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
roosevelt polio is the not-ycs destiny clan name; i'm calling it here

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
teddy roosevelt went to run for a third term under a new group, the bull moose party. before the speech someone attempted to assassinate him and he was stabbed in the chest. instead of going for medical attention, he does his whole speech for running for president first.

taft was so fat he got stuck in the white house bathtub.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Action Tortoise posted:

teddy roosevelt went to run for a third term under a new group, the bull moose party. before the speech someone attempted to assassinate him and he was stabbed in the chest. instead of going for medical attention, he does his whole speech for running for president first.

taft was so fat he got stuck in the white house bathtub.

He was actually shot in the chest, not just stabbed. Also the bullet went through his notes so he basically just winged the whole speech. He wrestled and rowed in college and later went on to map an uncharted section of the Amazon River before any kind of modern technology existed.

(To be fair, Taft was the only person to be on the Supreme Court and be President. Still fat tho)

Also I was hoping the joke was that Teddy Roosevelt wouldn't run from anything, which is true. He wouldn't run.

Edit: ask me about talking about US presidents in the imp zone

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DoubleDonut posted:

He was actually shot in the chest, not just stabbed. Also the bullet went through his notes so he basically just winged the whole speech. He wrestled and rowed in college and later went on to map an uncharted section of the Amazon River before any kind of modern technology existed.

(To be fair, Taft was the only person to be on the Supreme Court and be President. Still fat tho)

Also I was hoping the joke was that Teddy Roosevelt wouldn't run from anything, which is true. He wouldn't run.

Edit: ask me about talking about US presidents in the imp zone

thanks i knew there were things i minced on with that story.

didn't a little girl chuck a badger at him while he visited her town and he kept it as a pet?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
does bethesda even have anything to do with this game, i thought they were just whoring out their ip for quick, dirty cash

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Grapplejack posted:

never forget

TR was the gooniest loving manchild who never could get his head around anything other than wanting to dress up and play soldier. He was a lovely dad who sent one son to his death and another one said gently caress it and killed himself. Also he devoted most of his early career just trolling Wilson, one of the truly great presidents of our time.

And if assholes at home hadn't been trolling Wilson so hard, he would have had more clout abroad and could have exercised more influence abroad during WWI peace negotiations, which in turn legitimately could have prevented WWII from ever taking place. In conclusion Teddy Roosevelt caused the holocaust. So gently caress him in his dead dumb rear end in a top hat.

"You must always remember that the president is about six." --Cecil Spring Rice about Teddy Roosevelt

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

El Generico posted:

does bethesda even have anything to do with this game, i thought they were just whoring out their ip for quick, dirty cash

They publish it I guess? The developer is ZeniMax Online Studios. They started on the game in loving 2007 so it's anything but quick cash for them despite being terrible

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Action Tortoise posted:

thanks i knew there were things i minced on with that story.

didn't a little girl chuck a badger at him while he visited her town and he kept it as a pet?

Frankly I'm more impressed by the little girl in this anecdote

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

The Forum Where Posters Are Frequently Unaware of Who Various Historical Persons Are

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Teddy Roosevelt was voice by Patrick Stewart, but it cost so much money that the rest of America turned out real lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Teddy Roosevelt was voice by Patrick Stewart, but it cost so much money that the rest of America turned out real lovely.

FDR : "Captain, I am... Fully functional."

• Locked thread