Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Is there a better 4X game than Civ IV: BTS? I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
might I recommend Europa Universalis IV by Paradox Interactive?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Well, Sid Meier's Civilization 5 is the next in the series, and takes all the ideas from 4, but improves upon them, to give you a superior gaming product.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

fronz posted:

Well, Sid Meier's Civilization 5 is the next in the series, and takes all the ideas from 4, but improves upon them, to give you a superior gaming product.

Ohhhhhhh mann

Urrggggggghhh this guyyy

gently caress you bro!!!!

srsly though EUIV is boring as hell and Civv is a pos and that is the Lord's (Sid Meier's) truth

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Silver Alicorn posted:

You might, but then I would recommend my foot into your rear end.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fuligin posted:

Ohhhhhhh mann

Urrggggggghhh this guyyy

gently caress you bro!!!!

srsly though EUIV is boring as hell and Civv is a pos and that is the Lord's (Sid Meier's) truth

If Sid Meier had wanted you to stack units, he wouldn't have removed the option in Civilization V.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

fronz posted:

This but instead of Civ it's MOO3

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

no that's not a 4x you retard

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
it might count as a 4x if you're using the randomized New World option

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lets first put this out of the way: hexagons > squares

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

qnqnx posted:

Lets first put this out of the way: hexagons > squares

As long as you can put more than one unit in them, I'm inclined to agree.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Instead of stacking units, there should just be more hexagons.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

or just have stacks attack/defend as one entity

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Call to power got stacks right. You put 5 tanks and 4 artilleries behind them, tanks would tank damage, artillery would rain fire on enemies.

... Or you'd just eco ranger everything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Truga posted:

You put 5 tanks and 4 artilleries behind them, tanks would tank damage, artillery would rain fire on enemies.

You mean what EU has done since day 1, except missing shock phase cavalry?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, like that. CTP was a glorious game for its time, there are still things in there that sid meier civilization games need, IMO. Except corporate branches. Everyone hates corporate branches.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

He said 4X you stupid Brony human being.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i prefer civ 5

fronz posted:

also my civ 4 dlc is listed in separate games in my steam library, what's that about :shrug:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
no civ 4 thread is complete without a link to C2C:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=288570

because lmao drat

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wish call to power 2 had call to power 1's space poo poo

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Does anyone remember Civ: Test of Time?

It had a really weird space and fantasy campaign

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Widestancer posted:

Does anyone remember Civ: Test of Time?

It had a really weird space and fantasy campaign

not just that, but the two time-travel campaigns.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

i wish call to power 2 had call to power 1's space poo poo

building a colony ship to send to Alpha Centauri was cool because as soon as you were done you could quit Call to Power and play a much better game like Alpha Centauri

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Call to power had some glaring issues with it, with a lot of units being there just to annoy you. Some ideas were really really good, though. Like having public works instead of having to micromanage 50 workers every turn.

I also really liked the undersea things. No idea why they removed space from ctp2, but allegedly a lot of people didn't like it for some reason.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I would like civ5 way more if I could spam cities everywhere. A 4x game that doscourages you from spreading across the world like a virus is just not right.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

fronz posted:

If Sid Meier had wanted you to stack units, he wouldn't have removed the option in Civilization V.

Sid Meier hasn't worked on a Civ game since like hte first one. Brian Reynolds and Soren Johnson and Civ3 Modder Extraordinaire Jon Shafer all headed the next civ games

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Looke posted:

i prefer civ 5

also my civ 4 dlc is listed in separate games in my steam library, what's that about :shrug:

one's for mac and one's for windows

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Truga posted:

Yeah, like that. CTP was a glorious game for its time, there are still things in there that sid meier civilization games need, IMO. Except corporate branches. Everyone hates corporate branches.

BTS was such a shitshow of an expac but it was so universally loved especially here and i have no idea why lol

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nah, the best 4x is Master of Magic

The Sharmat posted:

This but instead of Civ it's MOO3

:holymoley:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Is there a better 4X game than Civ IV: BTS? I don't think so.

no, OP, there has not.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Join me in marrying my sister in the Zoroastrian Persian Kingdoms of Crusader Kings II.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Join me in marrying my sister in the Zoroastrian Persian Kingdoms of Crusader Kings II.

NOT A 4X

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh but speaking of which did that goon ever release that north america mod he was working on

also did he take my suggestion and make vince mcmahon king of north carolina

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

oh but speaking of which did that goon ever release that north america mod he was working on

also did he take my suggestion and make vince mcmahon king of north carolina

No whenever someone starts working on a North America mod they vanish mysteriously

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

fronz posted:

Took them two expansions before they actually included all the stuff from the old games.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Unguided posted:

Took them two expansions before they actually included all the stuff from the old games.

too bad they forgot to include making it fun

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

anyone who says that civ5 is good with both expacs is a loving retard and a liar. the expacs add nothing except some more arbitrary buckets to fill instead of fixing any of the core game mechanics

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rannos22 posted:

No whenever someone starts working on a North America mod they vanish mysteriously

and yet somehow they managed to make a game of thrones mod that contains a continent slightly bigger than asia

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

too bad they forgot to include making it fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

and yet somehow they managed to make a game of thrones mod that contains a continent slightly bigger than asia

games like civ and ck and whatever always make you excited for mods and then you realize that you need to wade through a billion lord of the rings mods (and now game of thrones) to find anything interesting

• Locked thread