Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

No, you posted it in the right place

Sorry Hat, I think your -5 minutes of FYAD fame are up.

On the flip side, I just finished Wolf Among Us. Fantastic game, and by far my favorite title Telltale has put out. I didn't have any gripes with the 5th chapter like others mentioned. What did people have issues with specifically? I thought it was fun, pretty intense, and had a really interesting final scene. I look forward to playing through a few scenes with a different choices to see how it pans out. Just all around enjoyable.

Time to move on to Splinter Cell. Keep trimming that backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

So, how do people feel about Dynasty Warriors 8? I assume the core gameplay hasn't changed terribly much since the last one I played, which was probably 4 or 5 or something. It's not a crappy console port locked to some bizarre resolution/refresh rate, right?

The port itself works fine aside from occasional controller issues. It's missing online coop and some graphical updates the PS4 version got but is otherwise a perfectly serviceable game.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

Other, Objectively Better Steam Thread: Dudes chilling, giving away games, making trades, learning about Dynasty Warriors for PC, etc.

This Steam Thread: hitler probably

I mean, the title does say "[...]Now With Less Words In The First Post." So, agreed, since I die a little inside each time I read that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

So, how do people feel about Dynasty Warriors 8? I assume the core gameplay hasn't changed terribly much since the last one I played, which was probably 4 or 5 or something. It's not a crappy console port locked to some bizarre resolution/refresh rate, right?
There are a couple of pad issues but it works fine. Gameplay-wise characters can use any weapon and have two that they switch between, but everyone still has a 'preferred' weapon that they have more moves with so basically they might as well have one locked weapon and one side weapon.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

duckfarts posted:

Hey goon who wanted MGS: Revengeance: I'm also in Asia, can't get it on the store, got it gifted and have it installed on my PC just fine. Haven't fired it up yet(my controller dongle died) but I can when I get home if you want confirmation.

Hi duckfarts, I would really appreciate if you could confirm this please, thanks!

Also, your gifter is from where actually? I've heard that MGS: Revengeance's gift from certain places is redeemable, while others are not.

srulz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 20, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Other, Objectively Better Steam Thread: Dudes chilling, giving away games, making trades, learning about Dynasty Warriors for PC, etc.

This Steam Thread: hitler probably
I fully support your thread friend.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think I might be the only one who likes DS3. I mean yes it's not really playing to obsidian's strengths and is certainly their weakest game. But man it might be the only arpg that's ever held my interest. I've tried torchlight, marvel heroes, path of exile and they've all bored the crap out of me. Maybe I just don't like all that clicking.
It's not so much a clickathon diablo clone despite having the loot drops. It's like a mix of ARPG with the loot (and camera perspective) and a brawler-lite combat system where you use all the face buttons to make abilities go off and you have a dodge as well. It's definitely fun because the four characters are drastically different as well. I liked it was well with the time I spent on it. Never gotten around to even close to finishing it but yeah. I'm surprised it didn't take off as much as it did because it's a nice mix of actual genres you never see meshed together.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay so strider does have some backtracking after all, however it's still in the Metroid Fusion sense where you go back to regions but it's completely new areas in those regions. Every region looks really cool in this game, I just finished the black market area and it's a lil underground city with neon signs and christmas lights.

There's only one major flaw in the game that I've experienced and it's a technical one, which is saving. So you can't manually save, it autosaves for you, but it only autosaves at healing terminals. But the game also has 'checkpoints'. I haven't died in the game yet, so I've gotten burned a couple of times by assuming that the checkpoint meant the game autosaved and decided to take a break, only to come back and realize i lost progress.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Palpek posted:

I fully support your thread friend.

Thank you, I am doing the best I can.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sober posted:

It's not so much a clickathon diablo clone despite having the loot drops. It's like a mix of ARPG with the loot (and camera perspective) and a brawler-lite combat system where you use all the face buttons to make abilities go off and you have a dodge as well. It's definitely fun because the four characters are drastically different as well. I liked it was well with the time I spent on it. Never gotten around to even close to finishing it but yeah. I'm surprised it didn't take off as much as it did because it's a nice mix of actual genres you never see meshed together.
It's definitely the closest we got to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (if you play it with a pad) and it's also cool that the story changes later on depending which chracter you chose to play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dark Alliance was a rad game for the og xbox. This is important future steam sale info for ol' Questy

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think I might be the only one who likes DS3. I mean yes it's not really playing to obsidian's strengths and is certainly their weakest game. But man it might be the only arpg that's ever held my interest. I've tried torchlight, marvel heroes, path of exile and they've all bored the crap out of me. Maybe I just don't like all that clicking.

My fiancee and I tried to love Dungeon Siege 3 but just couldn't do it. Love the mechanics and gameplay, but how the hell did an Obsidian game end up with characters and writing THAT BAD? It is the most generic of fantasy settings with a few gears tossed in because Steampunk. The gameplay, while really competent, just couldn't get me past my own loathing for my characters, much less the boring crap they were killing.

We never did get our revenge on Jeyne Kassinder. I have no idea how, but they managed to make Torchlight II's world feel deep and interesting by comparison. WTF, Obsidian.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Justin_Brett posted:

Is any of the Fallout 3 DLC good? That would be why I'd get it on PC, since my copy of it's in just the other room. Unless there's some really good Mods.

Mr E posted:

I think it's all pretty worth it except for Mothership Zeta, but just get the GotY and don't play MZ, I think some worthwhile mods use MZ.
I can't tell if I think Anchorage is pointless or a nice attempt to try something a little different, but either way it's the weakest outside of Zeta (which I'm happy to ignore). Overall it's solid DLC though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The only cool things in Fallout 3 were some of the sidequests. Discovering Andale is still one of my favorite moments in the game and then New Vegas is like all made of moments like that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Palpek posted:

The only cool things in Fallout 3 were some of the sidequests. Discovering Andale is still one of my favorite moments in the game and then New Vegas is like all made of moments like that.
New Vegas has Vault 11 which literally is one of my favourite moments in all of last-gen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also "tough moral choices" according to Fallout 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Jl61n3YY8&t=11s

Seriously just play New Vegas.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

My fiancee and I tried to love Dungeon Siege 3 but just couldn't do it. Love the mechanics and gameplay, but how the hell did an Obsidian game end up with characters and writing THAT BAD? It is the most generic of fantasy settings with a few gears tossed in because Steampunk. The gameplay, while really competent, just couldn't get me past my own loathing for my characters, much less the boring crap they were killing.

We never did get our revenge on Jeyne Kassinder. I have no idea how, but they managed to make Torchlight II's world feel deep and interesting by comparison. WTF, Obsidian.

Yeah I kind of ignored the story and just focused on the pretty particle effects.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Palpek posted:

According to the video that's a mod though.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
If you feel like huddling in a corner with a few other poor souls, while Vampires pounce and rip you a new one... Try Nosgoth! It's actually fun when a team gels together.. Some beta codes....

DANUDE-319-JAGABA-035
VAJOLA-936-BOTOTA-230
PACUFE-369-JALONE-011
VAPUFA-769-CAWAPA-236
TAJOME-739-BOYADE-235

Happy hunting....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

Bethesda games are the kind of games I respect because of the scale and scope of the whole thing, but actually playing through them is like trying to eat bland flavorless mush. I'm trying to play Skyrim right now and the characters and story are drab and boring, the combat/"exploration" is repetitive and unsatisfying, and every minute I try to slog through it, the more I want to just go try the Witcher 2 instead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

No longer effected by rads? Hmmmm, tough call indeed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No game did the "moral choice" worse than Bioshock. You can save the little sisters and still become a demigod, or you can OBLITERATE THEM YAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *SCREAAAM*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Quest For Glory II posted:

No game did the "moral choice" worse than Bioshock. You can save the little sisters and still become a demigod, or you can OBLITERATE THEM YAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *SCREAAAM*

The second story DLC for Infinite makes the moral choice in Bioshock hilarious.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

They were going for long-term rewards versus short-term power but yeah that falls flat on its face when the long-term rewards are hugely superior to the short-term while also requiring only a minimal short-term sacrifice.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Awesome, that was what I was gonna get started on next too...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Good god, that spoiler of the games someone made for me a whole back was full pants on head retarded.

I remember none of it; I think my mind repressed it all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

razorrozar posted:

They were going for long-term rewards versus short-term power but yeah that falls flat on its face when the long-term rewards are hugely superior to the short-term while also requiring only a minimal short-term sacrifice.

Somebody did the math, actually, and the evil choices get you more ADAM overall.

To be precise, 20 more ADAM. :effort:

e: I should specify: not, like, 20%, or 20 per Little Sister, I mean 20 ADAM more total over the course of the entire campaign.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 20, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Nobody mentioned the recent South Park: The Stick of Truth game by Obsidian during the bug discussion! Not sure what the general response was but I'm happy to report no bugs were encountered when playing this disgusting game! :science:

And yeah, Dungeon Siege 3 is kinda weird in that it has no bugs but it also isn't really that good in terms of world building and writing in general. Not sure how much of it was caused by executive meddling, but it's a shame. At least the combat was fairly good with a gamepad.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bethesda games are the kind of games I respect because of the scale and scope of the whole thing, but actually playing through them is like trying to eat bland flavorless mush. I'm trying to play Skyrim right now and the characters and story are drab and boring, the combat/"exploration" is repetitive and unsatisfying, and every minute I try to slog through it, the more I want to just go try the Witcher 2 instead.

Yeah, I like Skyrim for the fact that I can scale mountains and just bunnyhop my way across an enormous world, but the combat and story are just god-awful.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Nobody mentioned the recent South Park: The Stick of Truth game by Obsidian during the bug discussion! Not sure what the general response was but I'm happy to report no bugs were encountered when playing this disgusting game! :science:

And yeah, Dungeon Siege 3 is kinda weird in that it has no bugs but it also isn't really that good in terms of world building and writing in general. Not sure how much of it was caused by executive meddling, but it's a shame. At least the combat was fairly good with a gamepad.

Fun fact is that both DS3 and South Park use Obsidian's in house developed Onyx engine. Their two least buggy games are games built on their own tech. Funny how people gloss over that.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

lordfrikk posted:

I think it was fairly well received. All the YouTube LPers I can stand to watch have some videos of it, but of course that could easily mean gently caress-all.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Well, I had to guess Dungeon Siege 3 was a project they just worked on to pay the bills, honestly. I don't think they really put any of their typical creative force behind it (Avelone, Sawyer, etc.). I think at that same time they were probably securing work for other things they were gonna go creative on anyway (I think it ended up being Stick of Truth though, lol? FNV had been released by then, maybe its DLC then).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Somebody did the math, actually, and the evil choices get you more ADAM overall.

To be precise, 20 more ADAM. :effort:
Pretty much the only reason to go the other way is to see the bad ending, I guess. Each Bioshock's endings are all goofy and stupid though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hat Thoughts posted:

Thank you, I am doing the best I can.

RIP

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kewpuh posted:

you had a good run temporary steam thread

I'm sorry, Hat Thoughts :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It was not meant to be. Maybe next time!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
:(

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Pretty much the only reason to go the other way is to see the bad ending, I guess. Each Bioshock's endings are all goofy and stupid though.
Ummmmm excuse me, Minerva's Den!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The steam thread is dead. Long live the steam thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBq-Mp1ZxM

• Locked thread