Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I do hear quite a bit of complaining about Bethesda bugs so I think you guys are exaggerating.

I love Obsidian but even in a genre with a lot of buggy games theirs do stand out. Except Dungeon Siege 3 every game they've released shipped buggy but if you played them later most were significantly improved by patches so keep that in mind.

I'm sure console gamers see them particularly harshly because they aren't so bad when compared to other crpg devs but they are rather bad by non-budget console standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

EA has a terrible rep for how their treat their devs. They've also been guilty of buying up much loved companies and turning them to absolute crap and it's easy to only remember more recent ones like Bioware but we're talking almost two decades ago with Origin (the company before it was a dumb Steam alike) and Bullfrog. Hell if the scuttlebutt is true you can even blame them for SSI turning to poo poo even if they didn't buy it directly.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tagra posted:

There has been other commentary about wanting a more realistic survival simulator, which they linked on their news feed, so I'm hoping they consider adding some "non-horror" wilderness survival modes in the future.
(I'm also hoping they keep developing it and don't gently caress off while it's still half finished)

That would be awesome. I've always been intrigued by the promise of old games like Robinson's Requiem but I feel like with the tech easily available now someone could do a lot less janky version. I have no interest in horror stuff though or anything multiplayer.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be honest I would mind a game that was distilled down to "form a party of 6 RPG classes into a randomly generated dungeon and fight random encounters of monsters in turn-based tactical combat", sort of like Legend of Grimrock if it had zero puzzles, used Wizardry's combat rather than Dungeon Master's and had procedurally generated dungeons.

The only problem is that I don't really believe that developers trying such a thing would be able to pull off the retro-ness without also remembering to keep the UI and the game mechanics modern.

What would you consider modern game mechanics for such a game? First person party combat itself feels a little antiquated but I'd be curious what people considered a modern take on it to look like. Wizardry 8 seems like the last attempt to update that game concept with some good ideas as all the Japanese games are happy to stay firmly in Wizardry 4 - 6 territory without many changes. A lot of people argue about free roam vs grid based but I don't think its that important. With all the mouse clicking you need to do you can't rely on mouselook so inevitably movement ends up a bit awkward either way. Grid movement frees up the mouse all the time more easily at least.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd love for the Assassin's Creed games to one day go more sandbox. I love the idea of the games but the terrible plots and plot missions just drag the experience down. Even the best one, AC2, really dragged in parts. Let me roll a character and go screwing around in your awesome historical locations.

I couldn't believe they added a bit in AC4 where you slowly follow a ship in your pirate ship. It felt like an AC parody.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If you have a PS4 the console version is actually better than any PC arpg I've played. Couch coop is awesome and the gamepad controls feel great.

Metzen is terrible but they added a mode where you don't have to listen to any of the terrible story after beating it once. They also changed the difficulty options so you no longer have to beat the game a couple times before it becomes interesting. The difference between D3 launch and now is nutty.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Any impressions on Abyss Odyssey?

Great combat and really pretty looking. I feel like its underrated.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If the EoB two step / square dancing of Grimrock 1 annoyed you you might enjoy the sequel a lot more. In 2 the enemies will charge if you try to back away, they can also dodge away if you try to strafe back and forth, and will fire off their attacks faster once you appear. It's still an action-rpg, but it feels a lot less repetitive and like the game isn't balanced around shuffling in a circle.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Too bad Dragon's Dogma will never come to the pc. It's a way better Souls-y game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah Gunslinger was great and Blood Dragon was pretty good but I think it was a just a bit too long because the joke started to wear thin by the end. I feel like some of their set pieces in general went on too long and became repetitive but I think that's a problem in a lot of AAA fps games (where some sort of variation on the turret sequence is always too long by half).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Kly posted:

Lower your expectations. It's a fun game with some cool mechanics but also pretty flawed. Not worth buying a PS3 for, not worth spending $60 on. It's also anime as gently caress including a bikini beach chapter if I remember right and some dumb pig mascot or something, i forget.

Yeah it has some really neat ideas I'd love to see better games imitate but its implementation is wonky especially the more you play it. It is also excessively anime with the usual dramatic whiplash. Like bouncing back between scenes of holocaust, racism, war crimes, and scenes of creepy anime girl hijinx and weird anime animals doing their shtick.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This is the post mortem for Machine for Pigs. I've never played it and I was too much of a wuss to finish Amnesia. I read the article a while back but I remember it seeming more like Frictional didn't have the experience/confidence to take the project a bit more in hand when Chinese Room had dev problems.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

This looks like a blast to play, but I am completely lost on the tone here.

Maybe FarCry 3 wasn't a mistake.

Ubisoft employs some really terrible writers. I wish they'd just go full Bethesda with their sandbox games and limit the story.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's Ethan Carter? It's a wander around and collect story bits game right? That's usually not my speed but the trailer was good.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bah on adventure games. I'm terrible at them. Absolute first room in Albedo stumped me. No combination of rat trap, rat, gear, vending machine, or throwing bricks at things does anything. My time vision thing says to get the rat to the vending machine I guess so it can fall on the monster but nothing. Bah.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm enjoying the trend of devs making laid back exploration games https://store.steampowered.com/app/293480/ and I also really appreciating the dev of this one saying NOT to buy it as a christmas gift because it's early access and not finished.

I forgot I had backed this. You can feel the ambition but it's still quite a ways out.

This week I've been in a mood for first person survival games and I've tried this one, The Long Dark, Sir You Are Being Hunted, and The Forest. Of those I think the best was The Long Dark. It's still a little bare gameplay wise but everything that is implemented is solid (except the UI) and I'm sure the game is going to shape up well. It really nails the mood.

The Forest has a lot of gameplay thrown in but it's kind of a big mess. All of these games are running on Unity but both Frontiers and The Forest are really pushing the engine into areas it doesn't excel and I'll be interested if they can pull it off. Sir is technically solid but kinda bland.

Any similar games I missed?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sonance posted:

There's nothing wrong with survival games where you're essentially playing against a ticking clock, but you have to go all in and not only make it your primary mechanic but make it varied and interesting too, which is what something like The Long Dark seems to be doing right.

Definitely. Also The Long Dark's mood really lends weight to the survival gameplay. In TLD you get this oppressive sense of having to manage your time carefully because your calories are so finite and you never know when the environment will turn on you and the art direction really adds to it. TLD gets a bit boring when you have a good location setup and there isn't a lot of long term survival planning you can do at that point, but its still engaging what they have.

In Sir I just wander around a silly landscape and occasionally have to click something in my inventory. The mechanics don't feel satisfying.

The Forest is janky enough I'm not really sure how solid the mechanics are. I was killing the mutant people fairly easy and I seemed to find loot luggage way often so feeding myself on candy bars was an option for quite a while. The game was encouraging me to build an elaborate base but it seemed unnecessary. Then the game kept bugging out and the terrain would go invisible.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Gorilla Radio posted:

Have any of you played much of Frontiers? I can't find a thread on it and the two people on my friends list who have it have not played it. I really like exploration games, but the steam reviews sound likes it's really buggy, including one preventing that player from leaving the starting tent. Is this the general case or can I expect to at least get outside into the game world?

It felt alpha quality to me and not very interesting. I think it needs some more time in the oven before its fun to play as now its more of a proof of concept.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How is 7 days to die as a single player survival game? I noticed it's $12 over at the Humble store.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dying Light ain't too far from an open world Mirror's Edge and it's fun. Since the zombies and apocalyptic crap is the tedious part if I was just running around a weird cyber punk city it'd be great.

"Open world" is pretty nebulous and doesn't have to mean a boring Ubisoft collectathon thing.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Most people get sick of Amalur gameplay long before the end of the base game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i hope that one day dragon's dogma gets a pc port and we can just tell people to play that instead

It's crazy how Capcom just sits on poo poo. At least make a next gen port with the dumb widescreen bars removed.

Did KoA have any modding potential? The combat system was okay but felt like it was close enough to being actually good that some tweaking might make a big difference.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Witcher never seemed very pulp to me. Too gritty, somber, muddled, and lots of gravely voiced batman sounding dudes moaning about the burden of being a bad rear end. Way different than the technicolor fun world of crazy pulp stuff. Maybe it's different in 3 but the world just wasn't that fun the couple of hours of 2 I played and about 1/3 through Witcher 1.

All this fantasy under the shadow of GoT gets a bit tedious like that. Pulp can be lurid as gently caress but there's something tiring about the unrelenting grit in this kind of fantasy. It's why I can't get into Steven Erikson or similar authors just too much goddamned grimness in what is ultimately a shallow goofy fantasy story about elves.

This is also why I hate all the Warhammer fan fiction in fantasy especially in gaming. Warhammer is all grimdark but at least they have giant robot battling, and the goofy rear end orcs, and mohawk dwarves, and so forth. Seems like the first thing everyone does is copy Warhammer but remove all the fun goofy stuff so you just end up with a bunch of guys moaning about chaos and corruption.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 27, 2015

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's the point. It's bad fantasy It's not going to be meaningful but these dudes definitely try to attach a lot of gravity to it. Conan isn't great literature it's just punchy writing and goofy tales.

Maybe there are depths I didn't recognize in Erikson's grimdark elves with long names and Black Company retread. I liked the Black Company so when he was imitating the early books I was into it though it was way way stretched out compared to how sparse Cook was. Then he also had to imitate the terrible later Black Company books which weren't very interesting. Then everyone gets super powers or something and it was hard to keep track of it all. I got to some book about torture elves and it was enough for me.

Black Company had some kinda point to it but I didn't see much in Erikson. Abercrombie also seems to think he's writing Cormac McCarthy or something sometimes but at least he writes decent prose and everything doesn't have to be an absurd epic. Eddings was a terrible author but at least it was light fun reading without any elves with magical rape powers.

I wish games looked to Gentlemen of the Road more than these long grim epics. Or maybe I'm just grouchy from the heat.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2015

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah meaningful was dumb. You can argue about Howard but a lot of those stories start in a bar and they are definitely shorter. Brevity makes a big difference.

More games should do Gunslinger's barroom tall tale.

I'm flailing at that I'm confused by the zeal for so much detailed graphic trauma in a straightforward genre story. Fascism is a lot easier to read which is a strange sentence to write.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Mako was a decent attempt on redoing the Star Control 2 planet exploration mechanic. The rover in Star Control 2 also got kinda boring but it was much quicker than the Mako to do and you could upgrade the rover so eventually you could just bulldoze around on the planets and mostly ignore it. As I remember the Mako never got that type of upgrade so even long after it was boring you were still having to do everything exactly as the start of the game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Even if they did the laziest port imaginable of Dragon's Dogma I'd still be happy to see the black bars gone and consistent fps.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I wonder when Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime will come out because that looks like the 2-player co-op game to chill out with whenever it's loving done.

I've played it at shows and it seemed pretty polished and completed. I had assumed it had been released by now.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

It's called Robinson's Requiem.

That game was so weird. I never got anywhere in it but it was fun for a while just trying to frantically ward off all the lethal problems. That drat death screen. With all the survival games on Steam I'm surprised someone hasn't made a more Hunger Games 1-ish version of it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wonder what is the difference between movies and games that people seem to mostly shrug away changes made to movies during development as part of the process and don't second guess filmmakers absolutely every time. Maybe I just don't notice but I never see people getting into an internet tizzy over a cut scene or decide the filmmakers are con artists because they changed the color grading from the first trailer.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Crashbee posted:

Han shot first.

:golfclap:

I thought it was interesting that in the Witcher 3 dev article so much space was devoted to internet people losing their poo poo over something silly. I'm not sure if you'd see something similar when interviewing creatives in other media but I could be wrong since I tend to follow games on the net more so than other niche stuff.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 23, 2015

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any thoughts on Starpoint Gemini 2? On sale over at humble store.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Getsuya posted:

What are some of the better indie ones?

I'm not sure how well the game works if you have zero nostalgia for the DOS era of CRPGs but Serpent in the Staglands is a pretty big well done indie crpg.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Elite has some really interesting features, but it is incredibly empty. That can be cool mood wise because it feels more hard scifi than any other game I've played but like space it's really empty. Like seeing another ship zip by is exciting empty. Insert the Hitchiker's bit about space.

I really haven't seen anything to do except grind for better ships, random combat, space dock (my favorite bit not kidding), slowly travel towards a point on your HUD, and look at some pretty procedurally textured space models. They do have a lot of accurate astronomy fu you can geek out on if that's your speed.

Compared to old Freelancer, Privateer, X3, etc pretty thin content wise.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah Arkham Knight aside from tech issues isn't that great. I only had interest in me for 2 Arkham games so it wasn't on my radar but my wife loves the series so we bought it on ps4. I ended up having to play a lot of the tank stuff since she hated it, was bad at it, and the game likes to throw you into it constantly. I'm not sure why they decided to make a batman game where so much of it is racing and tank battles. Hours of shoot and scoot!

It's also funny you still have a major story point of batman going all "I don't kill people" then wait let me tear rear end around the city in my tank blowing up poo poo everywhere. "Those are just bots" yeah whatever batman.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The steam controller feels a lot different than a PS4 touchpad and not very slippery. Maybe it's the texture? I thought it sounded dumb until I got to play around with one but it actually works pretty well. I'm not sure how frustrating it would be to play a proper PC UI game at length (PoE and such) but I'm interested in trying.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

When Dust was released I still didn't think the gameplay was worth all the terrible story/writing but now we are up to our ears in metroidvania so I really don't see much reason to play it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Let's not compare it to Obsidian but the writing seems way better than FO3 where the first event is a town built around an atom bomb and a guy with a cartoon mr evil voice asks you to blow up the town for a really dumb 'moral choice because that's what FO games are about or something.

Not that it mattered that much. FO3 was Bethesda's worst game and I still enjoyed it way more than most releases.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Steam controller is so half assed. I didn't realize you pretty much can't use it outside of big picture mode. You can't even configure anything or have it update unless you keep switching to bpm and the controller really demands a lot of tweaking and fiddling unlike a normal controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

I don't think it does. The 144 stuff isn't noticably faster than the 60 fps stuff, at least I can't notice it. It's certainly not the 2.5x faster you'd expect.

A better explanation is that the engine malfunctions when it runs at 255FPS, for some reason. At a guess, I'd say that some of their gameplay code (physics or animation most likely) malfunctions when the frame time goes too low, so to prevent that happening they capped it. When you run the game at 255, the cap gets hit and the game speeds up.

Edit: To be clear, this means that the engine does link game speed to frame rate, but only when you have an unnecessarily high FPS. If you run the game at reasonable FPS (presumably one lower than 144 or so), then game speed will scale with FPS corrrectly.

Quoting for truth. This isn't like the DS2 bug.

• Locked thread