Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Downs Duck posted:

God drat it. Kragger keeps adding work to my backlog :argh: Thanks for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance!

Its a four hour game. Man up and play it through you wimp, it's so loving worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's why I was so glad when people started to rip into Bioware after the ME3 ending debacle. It's like, loving hell guys, the kind of writing and characters you've been whining for has already existed with other companies - they just haven't sulked on tumblr or let you gently caress them, so bleh.

Obsidian games are really no buggier than others.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just don't really know what to say. Fallout New Vegas is a great game that's much better than 3, but I've ran into so many more bugs in NV than 3. I've encountered an enormous amount of bugs in Alpha Protocol. The reputation was earned for a reason. Maybe you got lucky?

NV's QA was handled by the same company that did Fallout 3's, yet Obsidian got the blame. Can't say anything for AP as it was completely smooth for me.

Point is people have a tendency to poo poo themselves silly over Obsidian's stuff without putting it into any sort of context or using any sort of perspective.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not that nobody knows or cares about Bethesda's bugs (as was mentioned, PS3 in particular has always been very bad and nigh unplayable for Fallout/TES). It's that nobody talks about them anymore. People do, however, bring up New Vegas all the time. You bring up a game with bugs and people will bring up that it has bugs.

Yes, I know people bring up New Vegas all the time...and blame Obsidian for it when their parent company was the one responsible for QA. That's why it gets irritating. Obsidian are blamed for stuff they weren't even responsible for.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Watch_Dogs suffers the same problem as Assassin's Creed: I'm too bloody busy absorbing all of the city's history via Wikipedia to play the game properly. I didn't realise Chicago was so fascinating.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crappy Jack posted:

A lot of it is sadly made up, though. Place names have been changed (The location that is obviously Buckingham Fountain is not called Buckingham Fountain, stuff like that), locations have been made up, things like that. None of the many museums or sports arenas are included (there's one fictional arena that's supposed to stand in for like 4 different locations), and Navy Pier is n't anywhere close. Now I know how people in Seattle felt when Second Son came out.

Haha, well, the in-game stuff was a jumping off point more than anything. :)

I've spent more time running around looking up place names, and then finding their real world equivalents online, than actually playing the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

That's because doing that is better than the game.

Be nice you pessimistic goose.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Definitely hurts the experience. Game's designed around picking out the glowy bits on enemies and using those in combat/to navigate. Can understand why the duct tape mod is popular, but I'm one of those die hards who loves the 'default' D3 experience.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I dislike this time of year. We're suffering a monstrous heat wave so even with my FPS throttled, both GPU and CPU fans make far more noise than I'm comfortable with. From a completely logical viewpoint I know my hardware isn't being damaged or anything, but my less rational brain says my computer will explode. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Trying to stay as spoiler free with the Dark Souls 2 DLC that's just been released - when abouts are you meant to tackle it?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sivek posted:

Do the early 2000's Hitman games stand up well? I've never bothered with the series and don't have much of a problem with playing with clunky 3-D games, just wanna know if the gameplay for them is still solid.

Contracts is fantastic, but Blood Money is pretty much the pinnacle of the series. I loved Absolution but BM is definitely 'the' Hitman game; clunkier mechanics and animation, but you have a lot more freedom and tools to play around with.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ManOfTheYear posted:

Jesus Christ, I have 2 houers in Gods Will be Watching and I cant get past the second stage. This is either a very good game or a very bad game, i don't know which.

Its :siren: dark moral dilemma :siren: thing would be much better suited to something that wasn't a game with sudden failure states. Repetition really kills drama.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

revdrkevind posted:

Not to get all that way or anything. But although I liked what I played of the game so far, the early game does go out of its way to point out that Lara can only survive because a man trained her and is (spiritually) everpresent to remind her of all the things that he taught her. Did they really need that angle? I imagine it's ultimately related to some plot twist or drama of him being captured or whatever. But still, now every time Lara gets hurt I keep feeling like it's that sickening way that pretty girls always get hurt in horror movies, and not just that they made a gritty game that happened to have a woman in it. I keep picturing neckbeard coders going "oh in this part we can REALLY hurt her... (wheeze, asthma inhaler)... and like then we can break her leg and then she'll be trapped and helpless (getting ever more out of breath)."

You must have had a raging erection during Dead Space, huh.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm eyeing up Space Rangers HD...but what is it exactly? A roguelike where you can lose because the galaxy moved on without you, an arcade game that constantly spawns battles in star systems or what? I've heard good things about the game but I'm clueless as to what it actually is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well alright then. Can't say no to that for three quid!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TEHJOE posted:

It's worth noting that the Dead Island developers apologized over this issue It's inexcusable but it's probably the only apology that comes off as sincere in the gaming world.

The guy responsible got shitcanned as well, probably loving his reputation over in the process.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really wanted to get into Divinity 2, but argh. The game keeps teasing me about awesome dragons and awesome strongholds, but it's been doing this for goddamn hours. Every time I finish an objective to get to the cool stuff, more objectives pop up that I need to complete before I can get to the cool stuff. Just threw my hands into the air when I finally reached dragon island, or whatever it is, and got given yet another laundry list of stuff to complete beforehand.

Fffffuck, stop going on about stuff if you're going to keep it out of the player's reach.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

That dragon island is when you finally put together your stronghold and get to do dragon stuff :v:

Though honestly the stronghold and dragon parts aren't that much more interesting than the rest of the game. If the rest of it didn't grab you those things aren't going to suddenly make you love everything about the game.

I guess, just seems like a shame you know? The game's sense of humour was absolutely fantastic, but I didn't feel any real attachment to the story or mechanics themselves. I tried, I really did! :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I enjoyed Path of Exile would I enjoy Marvel Heroes, or does it play much differently?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well that doesn't sound too bad then. PoE was pretty overwhelming at first so I guess it'll be nice to switch down a gear.

A Bystander posted:

Whatever anyone answers with, don't pick Punisher as your starter unless you hate yourself or like working harder than everyone else for average damage.

The Punisher's my home boy, dawg. :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I did not want to pretend rape that woman I wanted to slam her face into the ground so hard her tits would be raw and bloody.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Worst thing that can be said about Darksiders 2 is that there's way too much of it. Game's long as hell - combat is a bit of a slog on higher difficulties as well, without ever being genuinely challenging.

Guy voicing Death is having a whale of a time with the role though, so it's worth for that!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Radio posted:

The real question is, why does a children's restaurant with murderous robots even need security? Couldn't the robots be considered watch dogs?

Edit: Apparently the robots aren't programmed to recognize humans as such at night, and think humans are robots who aren't in suits, which is a violation of the rules. They then try to force humans into the suits, which kills them. Why not just have the security guy wear a human-friendly suit?

Because the robots then think you're an empty suit and try to stuff an endoskeleton inside of you. :gonk:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Previews I've read maintain that Lords of the Fallen might be a solid competitor, if not outright rival, to Dark Souls rather than the initial clone it seemed to be. I'm keeping an eye on it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
'Oppressed become the oppressors' could have been handled very well, but combining it with slavery was very...welp. I don't think it was intentionally saying that The Blacks were as bad as Team Mighty Whitey, but the writers behind just weren't good enough to handle the thing with any real depth. Or subtlety.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, loving hell. I hope that image isn't as big a spoiler as I'd expect but it's certainly annoyed me more than it should.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a bug that can hit where all enemies and collectibles disappear on a quickload, as if you'd already dealt with them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DS2 is funny because it made everyone overlook the flaws of DS1, assigning them to the sequel instead. I fully expect something similar to happen with Bloodborne.

"Oh geez guys, an elevator that goes up but takes you to a basement? loving Dark Souls 2 never had that problem."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there any Original Sin sale going on?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did the Prototype 2 port ever get sorted, or wasn't it as bad as people made out?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr E posted:

Last time I played through on my ATI card I had some memory leak issues that were solved by alt-tabbing out/in again. The first time I could only play for about 15 minutes without crashing, so the answer to that is it might work if you have an ATI card. If you have an Nvidia it seems to work fine from what I can tell.

Naar posted:

I played through it without any problems, but I've got an nVidia card. I hear ATI cards might have some issues.

Cool, one to add to the wishlist in that case. Thanks guys.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So how was the PC port of the Saboteur anyway? I remember having a ton of fun with the XBox version, but my copy of that is lost to history.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DoombatINC posted:

I keep hearing FEAR 3's co-op was fantastic, but is it that much better than the single player game? I played through it in a couple hours and was struck by how grey, charmless and utterly boring it was from beginning to end. I'm not big on the first two, but at least they have some solid weapons and memorable fights. The only thing that got me to finish FEAR 3 at all was my quest to open every single door in the game with my boot.

If the co-op is really that good I might give FEAR 3 another try.

Co-op owns and the characters really mesh with one another. If you play it with someone you talk poo poo with, it's a fantastic experience that can make the repetitive environments fall by the wayside. I annoyed my coop partner by cackling as often as Ferrel does. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Jet posted:

Stop cheesing Sundowner.

You can cheese him without ever meaning to. It's a pretty loving sloppy design that fight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How does DMC compare to something like Revengeance?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Amalur's charming and has some neat ideas but is way, way, way too bloated and up its own arse. Game needed a lot more focus.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, 4 it is then. I'm usually in it for punching skyscrapers than tactical, nuanced combat so :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DMC4 begins with the pope getting shot in the face. :psyduck:

Alright, fair enough. This may have been the better choice to fill my need for a spectacle fighter.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I got DMC and DMC4 and I feel bad guys but I kinda prefer DMC please don't hate me (moreso). :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

DO you think it's just more entertaining in the cutscenes or do you prefer the combat?

The combat, honestly. DMC feels like it 'flows' better and I find the variety in combinations and attacks give me a lot more freedom, if only to look more spectacular rather than being genuinely more effective. That art design as well, good lord. :allears:

I can definitely see the appeal with DMC4 but something feels...off to me about it, as if Nero is just a little less agile and responsive than I need him to be. Ploughing through both alongside one another, and they're both a lot of fun, but DMC feels much more enjoyable. I don't have any prior experience with the franchise though so any reboot baggage is lost on me which probably helps.

• Locked thread