Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did Black Mesa source become 100% finished yet?

I'm not sure if adding the last area is still intended but it's not worth playing either way in my opinion. They completely hosed up everything with the soldier enemies, and so the difficulty curve is basically a horizontal line with straight vertical spikes anytime they appear. They force you to slowly f5-f9 your way through every encounter with them, memorizing where they are after multiple quickloads and popping out of cover to hit them with your precious tenth of a second before they all aimbot you to death. I was incredibly disappointed because everything up to them felt like it really brought half life up to modern standards, then it became aimbot whack-a-mole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Croccers posted:

I dunno. BL2 had Internet Memes and Tiny Tina and those are worse than cancer. How many Internet Memes and Tiny Tinas does Pre-Sequel have?

The best part about the unending miles of bitching about the internet memes is if you look at an actual list of all the memes referenced in BL2 and it's almost entirely limited to some challenge names, hardly any in the game's dialogue itself.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_2_pop_culture_references#Memes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've always just put my cards up for sale so they occasionally add up to pay for a small DLC or whatever. Is there any reason to believe I should turn my items into gems or will it probably stay reliable to just sell them?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think I just witnessed the entirety of a reverse Dutch tulip speculation in the span of a few hours.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What happened with the coal sale? I started using steam in 2009 but really don't remember any of the events they did besides the most recent one with the teams.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Super Turbo makes the bosses less bullshit. Form 2 Calaca is also actually easier because his moves have tells and if you die the checkpoint is on Form 2.

Both of these are already true in the base game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also seems a greenlight game has been deleted from steam.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it makes for an interesting point about where the line is that says whether something is or isn't too offensive to be on steam (assuming that's the issue), since this hasn't really happened before I think. But I have no loving complaints with that game getting removed anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Steam is not a free speech libertarian happy zone despite what a lot of people want to think. They can absolutely remove poo poo that supports hate groups if they want. I do think they should probably make a clearer stance on that though, the qualifications for what is and isn't allowed on steam have been incredibly vague for years (before greenlight it was arbitrary approval, with greenlight there's still a lot of things that are really inconsistent).

Some of the allegations: http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by

A response to one of them: http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/7020277/ceo-behind-hatred-neo-nazi-anti-islamic-responds

I like this comment on the polygon article "In all seriousness- who casually and publically likes a hate group on facebook?"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ariza posted:

Could someone explain in simple terms why the devs are bad people, without stupid emoticons and pithy comments? I'm not 14 so those are not very helpful. I don't read tumblr so you'll have to help.

I posted a link with some of the info here already http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by

In order to read the words on that page you'll have to read tumblr, even if you don't want to. You will in fact have to read text on a page with .tumblr in the URL. But hey if you want to be passive aggressive you got it!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Should I just sell my holiday cards now or is there reason to believe they'll be worth more cents later in the sale?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never seen Ziggurat mentioned anywhere on the forums and that's not cool because Ziggurat is cool. It's like the binding of isaac crossed with serious sam, except there's only 5% as much bullshit as isaac. There's a lot of items to unlock, characters that have different starting stats, and the way you level up tends to keep things random while still giving you enough control that you never get screwed. I've finished it 3 times (it's 1-2 hours for one game to the end and lets you save & quit between each of the 5 floors if you want) and can say it's definitely worth a look.

All enemy attacks are dodgeable and you tend to have at least 1 pretty effective weapon at all times, because there's a guaranteed weapon at the start of every floor, including the first. Only thing that feels unfair is the random mutators that happen in some rooms, because they can have solely negative effects ranging to things as bad as "all enemies are twice as hard, have fun." Very uncommon to get something that bad though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Palpek posted:

People have been talking about it constantly since the sale started in both threads but it's ok - more talk about good games is better.

Reading and paying attention in general are not my strong points.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, it's a 100% rule that if a game has a lower than 50/100 metacritic score, it's completely irredeemable.

Counterpoint: Ride to Hell Retribution 1%.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter posted:

I don't know why everyone started loving it, and then shut up about it, but I stand by Hard Reset as a great new game with old-shooty modes. Nothing to reload, lots of pickups, and lots more death. Also environmental hazards!

Hard Reset has several features of modern games while advertising itself as an oldschool game, and unsurprisingly those are the features that bring it down pretty badly. Half of your screen gets covered in jelly anytime you take any damage which is pointless and disorienting in that kind of game (attempting to turn it off just makes it green, hooray), there's extremely little exploration to do because you can't crouch or jump more than an inch so the levels are covered with invisible walls, and it uses really bad checkpoints/autosaves which make some parts way more frustrating than they should be. The graphics look good but the performance is bad, the voice acting/story is awful, and it just suddenly ended when I was starting to appreciate it in spite of its flaws.

It's got good points but you have to overlook a lot to enjoy it at all.

Red Mundus posted:

Ugh, gently caress this. I keep getting insta-gibbed by the mothership boss laser in Serious Sam 3 and I just give up. I'm good at dodging and everything but when the laser happens to land right next to you ain't no amount of skill is getting me out of that. I finally get to a huge wide open area and then it's all poo poo.

Is Serious Sam Revolution worth a look? I'm getting soured on SS after 3's performance tbh.

Is it the end boss? Did you find the jetpack?

I thought the last level was a huge slog and was the worst part of the game, but the boss made up for it and was the best part of the game.

It makes me regret not finding a co-op group to play through it with. Seriously look at this mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_V1lkbyA8

e: I just realized you're way earlier than I thought. Can't help you with that I'm afraid. I remember that part being a big difficulty spike but not unbeatable.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 10, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Payday 2 used to do it too but they unfucked it with a bigass file structure overhaul thankfully.

To be fair it does take a year and a day to write to disk now, so the actual time spent getting a patch ends up being pretty similar, it's just holding up your hard drive instead of eating your bandwidth for that duration.

Maybe it's better with a solid state drive but I wouldn't know, I'm not spending the requisite United States dollars on one. (the required number of United States dollars is all the dollars in the United States)

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 10, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From the video, it looks like "hover around the boss holding down lmb until it dies". Not the most engaging gameplay.

The "official strategy guide" that came with review copies of the game only said

1) Hold down fire
2) Run backwards
3) Repeat

It knows exactly how shallow it is and it's all intentional, pretty much. It's about shooting appalling numbers of moving things while running nonsensically fast, and if that can sustain a whole game for you then I think 80-90% of serious sam 3 does that pretty well. It is not about tactics, strategy, or using your brain to process anything except where you should be to avoid the hundreds of rockets traveling in your direction.

For what it's worth though that boss is actually beaten by grabbing lightning rod javelin things(?) off the ground, flying up and throwing them into its back when the giant worm distracts it. When it gets struck by lightning its health stops regenerating for a few seconds and its health drops to a low enough level that you can finish it yourself. It's not obvious from the video since 16 player co-op is anarchy and the other players did it themselves.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I watched an anime once. It was pretty japanese.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Occultatio posted:

Also, it's really, really distracting that one of the characters is voiced by an SA LPer with a really distinctive voice.

Several of the characters are acted by SA members in fact.

Fun Times! posted:

Are there any curators who are actually okay and worth a follow?

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6861268/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fedoras and trillbys are the same in that their primary function is to make me want to be very far away from you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

glNext is a dumb name and I hope it's not meant to be the API's final name. It's like how we're on the fifth-something "new" super mario bros game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy had some good tags.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ddraig posted:

X3: Albion Prelude is the one you want to get. It's pretty much the definitive space sandbox game out there at the moment. If you want to do it, chances are good you can do it.

People like to say it's incredibly complex but it's only as complex as you want it to be. If you want to pilot a ship and go around shooting ships and being a pirate, knock yourself out. If you want to be a trader and set up an automated trade network, go ahead. If you want to be The Empire and crush entire civilizations with your mighty fleet, then you can do that too.

It was designed around keyboard and mouse, I believe, so it plays fine.

Speaking of X did they ever manage to make X rebirth slightly less of a trainwreck? I was really interested in that game having not played any X's before, but then it turned out to be horrible in almost every way. But I heard earlier X games were bad at launch too so I hoped a combination of patches and mods could at least make it decent at some point.

I just want to fly around space in first person while looking at pretty graphics.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Building computers chat: When I built this system it was worth it but it was a pretty miserable experience. I had an MSI motherboard and it was defective, and a defective motherboard basically triples your work because you have to put together just about everything to test if it will all work, then take it all apart to get the bad motherboard out, then put it all back together again with another motherboard. This was especially bad because my CPU fan is a huge pain to install and I nearly damaged a part getting it back out and then installed again with an ASUS motherboard.

After all that I had some unrelated and unexpected problems getting windows 7 to validate because it was an upgrade-only copy, but my new hardware was incompatible with my old hard drive that had XP on it, while my new hard drive wouldn't let me install XP on it. So it took me days to figure out how to get windows to recognize XP on that old hard drive while installing 7 on the new one. I don't remember what I did and it shouldn't have been as much of an issue as it was. But the whole process including getting a new motherboard took like two weeks, instead of the single evening it should have taken.

Three years later this is an awesome computer and I hope it stays working for a long time, so it was worth it in the end, but definitely be prepared for a lot of random bullshit to go wrong if you want to build a computer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darkhold posted:

So you've never been to a bad movie with a friend, never had a bad time out, or been to a bad restaurant? Alright well feel free to expand my list until you think of something as lame as playing video games yet has the same possibility of disappointment.

The fact that it's easy to make bad decisions with your money in many ways doesn't make it a good idea to do it in another context though? If you preorder you are taking more of a risk than not because you have less information to confirm that you're spending your money well, while buying something after release is still a risk but much less of one because you can have a much better idea what you're getting.

I got incredibly lucky with borderlands 2 given gearbox's track record, but then I still have motherfucking brink sitting in my steam library, mocking me every time I scroll by it while furiously trying to avert my eyes. And the $10 I saved by preordering borderlands is a lot less than whatever I paid for preordering brink (I try to forget), money which I could have saved by waiting a single week to learn that it was a terrible game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've had my eye on grim dawn for awhile since the presentation looked really good, although I may not be the target audience since I found torchlight incredibly boring. Think I'll give it a try though since it's pretty cheap today.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

Save your money and get Diablo 3 if you want to play an ARPG.

Blizzard is not a company I want to support and bullshit related to diablo 3 specifically is a big reason for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played grim dawn for about as long as it took me to leave torchlight in tears of boredom, and have yet to start openly weeping, so there's that. No idea how well it will hold interest in the long run though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's also a free weekend for payday 2. If you try it out, make sure you join the payday 2 goons steam group so you can play with goons. Public games are usually pretty bad normally and I don't even want to know what they're like on a free weekend.

Now is a good time to try it because the game and most of its DLC are on sale if you like it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How does elite dangerous compare to X? It seems like it has a lot of the same qualities I was hoping X rebirth would have before it turned out to be terrible (besides being multiplayer etc), but I never really payed attention to it before now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

- It will build on games like Banjo-Kazooie, which they all worked on
- It's a collectathon 3D platformer with a hub world full of things to do/collect like Banjo. Here's a couple of screens they showed of the hub world they're building (in progress)

Oh god

quote:

- David Wise and Grant Kirkhope are both doing music for the game
OH GOD

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It also doesn't include the headhunter packs. I never bothered with those though so I don't know how good they are.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got grim dawn in the sale a couple weeks ago and it is pretty good. What I've played of it hasn't felt early access at all and the presentation is really good. I can't say how it compares to other ARPGs because the only other one I've played on PC is torchlight, which bored me to tears after about an hour, so grim dawn's at least got ~20 hours of sustained interest going for it (and games as easy as these tend to push me away very quickly). I am guessing it will take 40ish hours to reach the end of the existing content unless there's more stuff than the map implies.

But I could see it being very fun to replay because it lets you pick 2 out of 5 classes to put points in at the same time and they all seem fairly different. I went in with no real plan but ended up becoming Grenade Bastard with some kind of beak dog to soak up attention while I throw appalling quantities of various kinds of grenades. No idea how multiplayer is but I know it has options for both instanced loot and free-for-all so it's probably fun with friends.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ColoradoCleric posted:

There's no coop FPS on steam ALA halo or something is there?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218620/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91700/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34900/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Palpek posted:

It's pretty close, I'm not the only person who saw the similarities. It's more of a System Shock 2 + Amnesia's monster but it defnitely feels that way and fights against humans/androids are very SS.

There's only an incredibly small number of times in the game where you actually can fight humans or androids though, because for the whole rest of the game it will just make the alien show up and kill everything. (You wanted to use one of the 15 tools spilling out of your pockets that I keep giving you? No! Bad player!)

Then in those parts where you actually can fight, it mostly comes down to standing still waiting for your accuracy to reach a point where you can hit anything. Game didn't feel even remotely like SS2 for me. I wouldn't advertise it as anything but a horror game. It's a very good horror game but pretty much all of its other mechanics get completely drowned out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

I like how there's that other Descent clone that's a perma-death, crafting, procedurally-generated, "rogue-like". It's either gotta be Indie as gently caress or be a MOBA; There's no room in the game market for a spiritual successor that's similar in style to the original.

It's like a microcosm of the game industry.

Sublevel zero could be cool and awesome though. Randomly generated 6 degrees of freedom yes please. Let's hope they don't bork it up.

People putting their own spin on ideas to keep them fresh and unique is probably better than rehashing the same formula again, even if the genre is very under-represented.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The silver lining is that it's about a transphobic dickweed killing himself, so it's kind of ironic for the sad human being who actually paid 500 united states dollars to put that in.

SynthOrange posted:

Ciphers sound like the worst people. Their power list includes:

Tenuous Grasp – Assails the target's grasp on reality, Frightening and Confusing them.
Fractured Volition – Violates an enemy's memories to bring vivid recollections of past failures to the surface, leaving the target Hobbled and Weakened.
Secret Horrors – Causes enemies in the area of effect believe their worst fears have been realized, Frightening and Sickening them for the duration.
Disintegration – Burns away the ethereal sinew that holds together the mind, body, and soul of the target enemy, causing it to rapidly take Raw damage. Targets that have their Stamina reduced to zero disintegrate into nonexistence.

Grim dawn has the most YOU ARE HORRIBLE skills I've ever seen if you're an occultist.

Bloody Pox: Shunned even by many Occultists for the prolonged suffering it inflicts, this abhorrent curse calls down a virulent plague to spread amongst foes, inexorably sapping their life-force and causing them to bleed from every orifice.
-> Wasting: Causes Pox to destroy your foe's vitality and turn weeping sores into gouts of blood. Such insidious spell-craft has earned Occultists their dark repute and seen many burned at the stake.
-> Black Death: Burning with fever and suffering the liquefaction of their internal organs, the infected may be hit by sudden bouts of confusion and wander the battlefield attacking the air or even their own allies.

Being an occultist also features summoning giant eyeballs to fly at stuff and explode. You are pretty much the worst human possible as an occultist. And yet some of the enemies are even worse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Here's a revolutionary idea: How about simply patching/updating the game that people already bought, for free? Then sell separately or include some package for those that want the Sins of the First Scholar/the DLC.

What a scummy mess that poo poo is.

The changes to the game in terms of enemy and item locations are pretty substantial and probably not something you'd want to just patch on the same client (FWIW I haven't seen much in the changes that I've agreed with from a design perspective, but that's not the point). These changes were made for the PS4 and xbox one versions of the game, and of course PC players will want the option to have those changes too, so they put the updated version on PC too. The gameplay changes mean they need a different client for scholar of the first sin, so that naturally means original DS2 and scholar players won't be on the same network. That requires separate online servers which are not free to run. Making it free would most likely be a net loss in revenue.

I wish they could have made this all work on PC without splitting the community but compared to the poo poo EA and ubisoft regularly do, this doesn't even register on the scumometer.

Accordion Man posted:

The Redux versions of the two Metros gave you a loyalty discount if you already owned the original versions, this doesn't.

Yes this does. It's $20 cheaper if you own DS2 and $30 cheaper if you own DS2 with all the DLC. I don't know what that translates to in other currencies though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guacamelee is a good metroidvania. It features a large quantity of skeletons getting punched by a luchador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What are the pros and cons of adventures of van helsing II vs. torchlight II? Grim dawn has me looking at ARPGs again so I want to try one that's not early access. No I will not play diablo 3.

• Locked thread