Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Join the official Payday 2 community group! In fact, you can even get some free community stuff (if you have the game)!

If you like to co-op with your buddies, you can't go wrong with Payday 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
If you're going to play the Last Remnant, make sure to turn on Auto-QTEs and use Turbo Mode to speed up the battles. The battles are interesting, but they tend to take a long time because of how much is going on during a single turn.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Tesla Effect is pretty cool, guys. I'm saying this as someone for whom this was the first FMV game ever. There's a pretty good hint system, so you'll never get stuck for good.

My only complaint are the canned responses. They should've had Murphy actually ask the questions and then get a response.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

lordfrikk posted:

:words: incoming.

So I've started playing Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages after neglecting it for so long. Why hasn't anyone scolded me harshly for not playing it before? :mad: This game is amazing.

I remember reading about it a while back. Looked at screenshots. Meh. Looked at videos. Same reaction. Looks like your average 2D twin-stick shooter except everyone talking about how insane the customization in this one gets. Okay.

The game starts with you escaping a Star Wars-esque tunnel while a wall of flame licks your butt with an AI chip that's implanted in your brain telling you what to do. Eh, that doesn't sound so amazing but compared to most games it's actually interesting to read and well-written. Keep reading.

The story is that you don't remember who you are and your most pressing concern is getting another ship since yours is going to die soon. Then you find a cruiser and take it from those pesky owners. You can imagine that someone somewhere isn't going to be happy about that and so the game continues.

The first missions (a lot of them, actually) serve as a tutorial that introduces you to the basic flight mechanics (which are pleasantly complex) and ship types (standard RPG classes somewhat hilariously transplanted into a fairly interesting space setting). However, you can skip all those and try a shorted tutorial if you don't feel like messing around and want to go play with the big kids. I do not recommend that.

Because once the starting galaxy is behind you, the game opens up (more like explodes with options) and you get to do research, buy new hulls, equipment and so on. Your standard space game fare. But the thing is, there's zingillion things to try and buy and research. Luckily you don't feel that overwhelmed since you hopefully played through the tutorial without having any of the myriad of choices piled upon you but instead being introduced one by one.

Seems like there's a healthy dose of campaign missions to go and the combat itself is really well done unlike a lot of other space shooters. On top of that, you can try multiplayer or some of the mini-games which can net you a fair amount of plex (in-game currency) and it also speeds up research.

I've only played 10 hours but I'm really liking the game so far. I bet a lot of people got it in a bundle like me and never got around to playing so this is me telling you GO PLAY IT.

This one's a hidden gem, that's for sure. I implore everyone to give the game a fair shot - it'll surprise you.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Wait... You started playing Dead Rising 2? This game actually boots? I could never get the drat game to work.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
You can get FFXI with every expansion and addon for 9.99 euros over at the Square Enix store.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The Room is a short game, about 2 hours long, but it definitely leaves a positive impression. And the screenshots don't do the game justice, believe it or not. The game is really gorgeous.

I hope they bring the second game over to PC 'cause they already sold me on it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Does anyone know what happened to Roaming Fortress and its devs? The game was greenlit back in October 2013, they had the game pretty much done and ported it to Windows and Mac (it looks stunning in HD and is very fun), but they just disappeared off the face of the earth. Are the devs even alive at this point? Because this morbid silence is worrying.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
If someone decided to jump on the Operation Racoon City deal, I'd be willing to trade you a copy of EYE: Divine Cybermancy for it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I've been playing Ms. Splosion Man (which is still available as part of the Weekly Humble Bundle) and it's a very charming and engaging game. Admittedly, it feels a bit like an XBLA game, but the controls are tight, the levels are fun to play and 'sploding everything up never ceases to amuse me.

And the theme song is catchy as hell.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 1, 2014

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Make sure to check out Dark Scavenger while the game is still on sale. It's a quirky title that's more like a puzzle game with weird interactions than a straight-up RPG game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
With regards to Last Remnant - use the Turbo Mode. Bigger battles can take a lot of time because you have to go through all of the animations. Turn it off if you're fighting a new enemy or a boss fight to experience all the sweet boss battle goodness.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is great, guys. It's more than a straight upgrade, the game feels different compared to the basic version and is overall much harder. So if you were running circles around the basic version, this one will break you over the knee at first.

And you can save and resume your game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Palpek posted:

Also that Scrabble RPG that just released is 60% OFF: http://store.steampowered.com/app/328730

I bought it at release and am very happy with this game. It scratches that word-building itch perfectly. I'm just maybe slightly miffed that the game received such a huge discount in less than a week. Come on, at least wait a month until the Christmas sale.

Still, at this price you'd be insane to pass this one up. Two scythes up.

Do note that the Steam version is DRM-free. (The game runs without Steam being turned on, so that counts? I'm not sure...)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=qyWYd7b7Zy65BRrW

Have some more Insurgency.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Broken Cog posted:

So after playing Wings of Vi for the past couple of days, I can say that it a pretty solid Precision Platformer(or whatever the gently caress you call those things), the likes of Super Meat Boy, 1001 spikes, I wanna be the guy/Boshy and so forth.
If you like those kinds of masochistic platformers where you can spend hundreds of attempts on a single boss or level it's a really fun game.
There's tons of secrets, so exploration and experimentation is encouraged, and the creator has spent some serious effort on making every boss and platforming segment "fair". What I mean by that is that there's no unexpected stuff that IWBTG and IWBTB are infamous for, like hazards coming in from offscreen, what you see is what you get.

Bear in mind though, that this game is designed to be hard, and if you're easily frustrated it's probably not the best pickup. Even the easiest mode is fairly rough.

Edit: There's also been a lot of technical issues in the early days after release, but the creator has pushed out a bunch of patches that seems to have taken care of almost everything.

Seconding this. Get this game if you like tough, but fair platforming.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey, for The Walking Dead: Season 2 would it be worth playing through the first one again for the sake of choices carrying over, or are they so insignificant as not to matter? Normally I wouldn't care but the relationships I developed in the first game were pretty intense. :ohdear:

There will be a few neat references here and there, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Dungeon of the Endless is a really good multiplayer game, despite Rookersh's valid misgivings. I would've played it even more, but my mp buddy started having hardware problems (not caused by the game, in case you're wondering). Definitely pick it up if you want to play a slower, methodical game with your buddies.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Awesome! posted:

insect armageddon is the bad one

Yes and no. If you've never played an EDF game before, Insect Armageddon is a pretty good game with lots of cool unlockable weapons and a lot of mayhem. Just make sure you have someone to play with. For 4 bucks you'll get more than your money's worth.

And stop reminding me that the new EDF game will never come to PC... :(

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Raymond Hog posted:

Is Spintires worth 10 buck? Whats the multiplayer like also i cant really imagine it

Apparently it has really good physics, but it's pretty barebones so far. However, I'd advise against buying the game now because the publisher left the dev in the dust. The game is being made by one guy in Poland and he's probably not going to see any money from Spintires for a while to come, so he halted development.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One year down, four to go :shepface:.

Two years later he releases DLC.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's just silly. He should release DLC one day shy of the five-year anniversary of the launch date :unsmigghh:.

And then have it be nothing but a recording of the Narrator either saying "Sucker" or thanking you for waiting depending on if you have the achievement.

Ah, but if your release it a day before the anniversary, people might decide to just wait a few days. No, it should be released at such a moment as to tempt the player with the prospect of learning more about Stanley. That is unless you buy a different piece of DLC that will fling you into the future, but just a day before you get the five-year wait achievement.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Palpek posted:

It's not that the jump mechanic isn't explained. It just works differently than in most other games and you have to get used to how it works. It's not like there's some secret button nobody tells you about.

Valdis Story is a bit of a mix between a metroidvania and Wings of Vi. On the one hand, you have backtracking and stuff. On the other hand, you can't just stumble your way through this game. You either get good (at using the movement mechanics) or you get stuck.

I'm mentioning Wings of Vi because while it is a precision platformer, it's also slightly more forgiving than other games of its kind. Valdis Story gives off the same vibe in places, just without 20 insta-death spikes on screen at a time.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Unbalanced posted:

Hmm, I'm having second thoughts about playing Alien Isolation on Nightmare difficulty my first time through. These four assholes keep wandering around this gigantic room and I'm not seeing any safe way to sneak through.

As Palpek said, the best opportunity to avoid them is when they walk into the room. They'll all go downstairs, but then split up and start patrolling.

By the way, don't crouch. Walking isn't any louder than crouching and it's faster.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

SelenicMartian posted:

I've beaten half of Sigils of Elohim and... what do these codes actually unlock in the Talos Principle? Haven't bought it yet.

Just some extra bonuses, like hints or messages you can paint on the walls.

EDIT: Buy that poo poo. I bought it on release and got sucked in hardcore.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 27, 2015

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Shadow Warrior is a pretty fun game. I played it a few months ago and really enjoyed it all the way through.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

sauer kraut posted:

Wasn't TP the game whos dev said it would never go on a sale deeper than 10% or so?

Yes, but that was in reference to the Christmas sale. The game had just come out, but people were wondering whether to hold out until a deeper discount. So the devs said that no, it's not going to get discounted any further during the sale.

By the way, the Talos Principle is my personal GOTY 2014, so I can't recommend it enough. If you like puzzle-solving, you have absolutely no excuse to not give it a try now. There's even a demo if you're on the fence.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Tecman posted:

Hah, well that was fast - Steam won't let me buy another copy (which would've been #5). Welp.

I'll see if it's unfucked tomorrow.

Talos is so good that they ran out of copies. Move over, GTAV.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Mung Dynasty posted:

The new Deus Ex announcement made me realize I haven't played HR despite owning it basically since it came out. :steam:

Can I just play it as a run and gun FPS, or do I have to rely on the cover system?

You don't have to rely on the cover system, but ultimately you will use whatever suits the situation. Stealthing is pretty fun, though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Hot drat, this creeped up on me. Definitely going to give it a try later this week once I wrap my head around all the other stuff I have to do.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Have valve staff nothing better to do?

Puzzle Station is pretty good, though.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The release of the 3DRealms pack shows how retarded their new design is in terms of exposing new games to the audience. There's so much stuff appearing on Steam everyday that you have to put in effort just to find out what was released any given day. There's like three boxes showing new games and a list of "popular" new games. Then you have the big eye-catch that just hammers you with a selection of new games, old games, recommended games... It used to be about displaying popular new games and promos and then you had the whole list of new releases at the bottom.

I mean, yeah, if you browse enough, you'll get to see the new stuff, but it just seems like a step back compared to their previous system. These days I find out about new releases from other sites and then keep track of things separately from Steam. For example, if I hadn't heard about the new Shantae game from this thread, it would have completely flown under my radar. No wonder it didn't sell that well on release.

One idea I had was something akin to what they did with the rougelike sale - they should have something similar that shows what games were released this week. But it still doesn't solve the day-to-day discoverability issue.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

anilEhilated posted:

Lords of Xulima on the daily deal, anyone got experience with that?

Game is hella sweet and really long. The battles are challenging and you generally have to keep your wits about you all the way through. There's a lot of fighting, but there's also a lot of puzzles (some rather hard) and many cool dungeons.

The game is really long, though. We're talking easily north of 40 hours.

Note: I haven't actually finished the game, but I'm pretty far in and intend to finish it.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 20, 2015

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Mung Dynasty posted:

Dishonored owns. Dishonored 2 will own. I don't often get hyped out of my brain for upcoming games, but the wait for this will be unbearable. Semper games.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Dishonored sale today.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have a question about the Talos Principle. I'm not the seventh set of puzzles in the C building. Is there any kind of point of no return of some kind I have to worry about? Is there any difference between trying to climb the tower now or after I have completed these last puzzles in these buildings?

Nope to everything. If there is a point of return, it will be telegraphed really drat hard. Besides, the devs created a rollback save system for a reason.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Ratzap posted:

There's an addon for firefox/chrome that lets you chuck cards on the market with a single click. I recently heard about the idler program and just left it running overnight while I slept for a few days. The card sales made me about £11 - not a huge sum but since it cost me nothing at all to get it, I'd call it a win.

Electricity probably cost you more than that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Mark your calendars, the DLC to The Talos Principle will be out on July 23rd.

EDIT: link fixed

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 8, 2015

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
If you haven't yet done so, make sure to check out the secrets in The Talos Principle. They've put a lot of effort into many of the easter eggs, as is usual for Croteam.

Also, the Road to Gehenna DLC will hit on July 23rd. It should be around 20 dollars or so, depending on where you live.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
If you're ever going to play Torchlight 2, play as the Engineer aka the best class in the game.

On a different note, I hope Steam changes how they present New Releases. The new storefront is more focused on presenting you with what's already on Steam, which is all well and good, but as a result they've made it more troublesome to see at a glance what new game has been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Actually I find this to be the best controller I've ever used. I've tried using the Xbox 360 and Dualshock 3 pads, but they just felt like some cheap plastic poo poo, the former just being unwieldy and the latter feeling like I could snap it in two if I were to apply just a bit more force.

The wireless and non-wireless versions of the Logitech pad are virtually the same, sans the wireless and rumble.

• Locked thread