Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Accidentally posted this in the other steam thread.

Lester Shy posted:

I've been using a Turtle Beach P11 headset for PC gaming for about a year and it has developed a short that intermittently knocks out all sound in one ear. I don't know anything about electronics or wiring, so I'm in the market for a new headset in the ~$50 range.

I'm no audiophile, and I only use headphones when I'm using voice chat, so I don't need surround sound or super quality. I like having an in-line mic mute button, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm basically just looking for something that gets the job done and won't annoy other people with horrible mic quality. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I've been lazy about upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 because I remember a lot of people having problems gaming when 8.1 first came out. Are there still a lot of issues or has everything been smoothed over since then?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Thanks for the Windows 8.1 info. All of the bad experiences I remember people talking about were literally from the first day it came out, so I filed it in my brain under "check back later." I've got it installed now and everything seems to be working fine.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Yeah that's an amazing bundle from top to bottom. Gunpoint, Gone Home and Prison Architect were some of my favorite games from last year.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I really loved X-COM: EU. Are there any other turn-based, moving your squad around a grid-type games I should look out for? I'm waiting for the next sale to pick up Xenonauts. Invisible Inc. is really appealing, but it looks too Early Access for me right now.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations. I totally forgot that I bought the Shadowrun DLC during the summer sale, so I think I'll go for that first. I'll probably pick up Expeditions: Conquistador too, since it's currently in a bundle.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Croccers posted:

I got my Ma a shiny new laptop for her birthday, so I'm looking for a list of good easy hidden object games and point & click things. I have no experience in these games so I'm at a loss.

I've got a soft spot for these kinds of games and I really enjoyed Infected: The Twin Vaccine and Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart. Both have really generous hint systems so you can't get too frustrated.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm thinking about picking up a USB extension cable so I can use my PS3 controller from the couch, but I was wondering if that would cause any sort of input lag. I don't know enough about USB/BetterDS3/whatever to begin to figure that out.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Did DayZ get a price increase recently? I'm not really interested in it, but I noticed that it's 15% off at $29.74, and I thought I remembered it always being $29.99 in the past.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm having trouble deciding between Thief for free with GMG credit or Wolfenstein: TNO for ~$10. I've never played any of the other games in either series, so I don't have any baggage in that respect. I'm leaning towards Wolfenstein because I imagine Thief will still be pretty cheap in the near future.

Edit: Just noticed that Wolfenstein's minimum requirements list an i7 processor while I only have an i3. Is this a deal breaker? All the rest of my specs surpass the minimum.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 27, 2014

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Is there any planned or rumored DLC coming out for Wolfenstein: The New Order anytime soon? I had a blast with it and might do a second playthrough, but at 50 gigs, it's hogging up my SSD.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Someone in a stream chat was claiming the stream has only a 4 second delay, which is crazy if true. I think Twitch is something like 30-45 seconds.

Yeah, the delay is really short, definitely under 5 seconds. I clicked on sandweed, the first person on my friends list who was streaming and sent him a few messages. I could see him pausing to message me back before the reply got to me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Is anybody streaming the Jackbox tonight? I've been meaning to check it out since I loved YDKJ in the 90s.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

What are the drivers that you need to make a ps3 controller not a lovely experience? I used to use motionjoy or something but its loving awful and didn't even work all the time. I have some 360 controllers that are perfect, but I'd love to be able to plug in some more controllers that I already have for some Gang Beasts.

I think BetterDS3 is the current recommendation, but even it is kind of lovely most of the time. For some reason, it runs incredibly slow on my computer; it takes about three minutes to open the program, select the correct profile, apply the profile and minimize the program. After that's all done it works fine, but it's a pain in the rear end. If there are any better alternatives out there, I'd love to hear them.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm trying to get the Scarlet.Crush wrapper set up and I followed all the directions in that forum post, but nothing seems to work. I'm not using bluetooth, just USB; do I need to do anything special if I don't need bluetooth functionality? I'm on Windows 8.1, with all the prerequisite drivers/programs installed.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

zonar posted:

I'm not sure would it could be, I'm using the same. Might it be something like the driver being in C:/Program Files (x86)/ rather than /Program Files/? I did that at first, oops.

Nope, it's not that. I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the problem is. All of the troubleshooting info I can find online is people trying to get bluetooth working, but my issue is with plain old USB.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Kly posted:

have you tried betterDS3 instead? i set it up once and it's worked flawlessly for 3 years, dont even need to ever open it again if you dont mind default controls for most games.

I'd actually been using betterDS3 for at least a year, but it ran extremely slowly on my computer, and I had to open it up and reapply the profile any time I unplugged the controller, even with "Automatically apply profile" checked. I'll probably reinstall it if I can't get the SCP driver working soon though.

Edit: Hmm, switched out my preferred PS3 controller for an older one, which worked 100% perfectly immediately. They're both genuine, PS3 branded Dualshock 3s, so I don't know what the problem was.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 4, 2014

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Is there a Nuuvem walkthrough for idiots like me? My Portuguese is... insuficiente.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I need to clear some room on my SSD and forgot how to manually move games between drives. Is it:

1. Copy game folder from steamapps/common on the original drive
2. Delete local content inside Steam
3. Paste game folder to steamapps/common on the destination drive
4. Install game to the correct drive in Steam?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Wow, MGS 5: Ground Zeroes looks and plays amazingly smooth, even on my below-minimum-requirements CPU. Granted, I've only dicked around in the beginning area, but I was worried if I'd even be able to get the game to run at all. I'd definitely recommend a controller though; the default keys you have to use to navigate the menus are really dumb.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Anyone else having problems with Nuuvem? I'm trying to get the $9 Ground Zeroes but every time I try to sign up an account I just get stuck at "validating..." forever. Are their servers being hammered or something?

I was having trouble trying to simultaneously create an account and check out. When I emptied my cart, made an account, confirmed my email and then tried to check out everything worked fine.

Kin posted:

How long did it take for a key to be generated? I just bought it there (too hard not to pass it up for just £6). But it still says no key has been generated and there may be a delay.

I got my key instantly, but that was about four hours ago, so maybe they've sold out since then.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

What kind of hardware setup do you have? I wasn't going to pick up MGSV because my system also fails to meet the minimum requirements, but after hearing that, I thought about giving it a shot. I've got an AMD Radeon HD 6570 and i7 2600S.

I've got an i3-3225 and an HD 7850 with only 1GB of VRAM. The game automatically set everything to High with a handful of Mediums and I haven't noticed a hitch or framerate drop anywhere yet.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Everblight posted:

sorting options

I've tried doing genres as well as played/unplayed/bundle junk I'll never touch, but there was way too much crossover, and I hated having games in multiple categories. The only one I use now is "Couch Games" for games that:

a: are installed
b: have full controller support and
c: are actually playable from ten feet away.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Gauntlet thread seems kind of dead, so I'll ask in here. I was about fifteen minutes into hosting my first multiplayer game when I got a crash to desktop with the message "Fatal error. Application must exit immediately." Steam forums suggest this is a common problem across many different hardware configurations with no solution, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask if there's a fix here.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Any thoughts on This War of Mine? I've had my eye on it for a while. I was leaning towards Invisible Inc, because I figured TWOM wouldn't be a daily, but this has thrown a hitch in my plans.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Are Steam downloads going really slow for anybody else or is it just me?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Drifter posted:

Life is Strange is 10 bucks at Square Enix's site, but I don't see any mention of needing Steam. Does anyone know if it is a steam key you get, or something like GOG but through Squeenix's service...because gently caress that if that's the case.
https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/282534/life-is-strange-complete-season-episodes-1-5-pc-download

Hoping for an answer to this as well.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Any thoughts on Telltale's Game of Thrones vs. Tales from the Borderlands? I'm a bigger GOT fan, but Borderlands is basically a clean slate, so it might make for a better story.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Anybody else getting a "connection time out" error when trying to install/update games? Steamstat.us says everything's fine, but I can't download anything.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems to be working now.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 13, 2016

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Did Steam recently remove the ability to Ctrl+F and search within the client? I definitely remember searching through my friends list this way in the past, but Ctrl + F does nothing now.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Are any of the quests in The Witcher 3 time sensitive/will it be obvious when they are? I ask because some of the things on the notice board in the first little town sound urgent and there's a clock on your HUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I have a gigantic backlog and about 80% of it is bundle trash, which makes searching for a new game to play a drag. Are there any websites/utilities that let me search the games I own sorted by different criteria? Ideally I'd love something that showed me games I own with less than 5 hours playtime sorted by genre/average steam review score. Does anything like this exist?

• Locked thread