Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright anyway, now that that's all over

I finished Detective Case & Clown Bot, I wouldn't recommend it above $2, I put it in the same adventure tier as Ben There Dan That where there are positive things and some real negatives. The visuals are really nice, the music is really nice, the English translation is really clunky and the humor falls flat constantly. The game has an "audience" with applause and laughtrack if that changes things either way for you.

The engine is okay and some puzzles are fine, the "interrogation" sequences are interesting at first but the choice of which dialogue branch to choose is sometimes as confusing as the interrogation sequences in LA Noire. The game also has Phoenix Wright Syndrome where rooms will randomly change to have people/inventory items depending on the story progression, but without any indication or clue, so if you hit a dead end you have to basically explore every location until you find the one that's been updated.

This dev team will probably make a much better adventure with their next game. Anyway, it's been in a couple of indie bundles so if you were to get it, that's the way I'd do it, in a bundle with other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hmm, not seeing a sticky about this thread so I'm thinking it's unofficial.
Winners don't bump threads - george w bush

I played some of marlow briggs and it really doesn't let it up does it?? Feels like a game you gotta put quarters into

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Store is doing an Ubisoft sale, uhh for the 2nd time this week. Different games though!

ACIV: Black Flag - $19.99
AC Liberation HD - $9.99
Anno 2070 Complete - $12.49
Call of Juarez Gunslinger - $3.74
Child of Light - $11.24
Far Cry 3 - $7.49
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - $3.74
From Dust - $3.74
Might & Magic Heroes VI Complete - $9.99
Rayman Legends - $9.99
Rocksmith 2014 - $14.99
Splinter Cell Blacklist - $7.49
Stick of Truth - $39.99
Trials Fusion - $13.32

e: some of these games are uPlay-only??? And some have Steam keys. Reader beware you're in for a scare

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you don't want to bother with uPlay bullshit, Sonic Go Karts Transformed is $5 on Humble Store. Everyone should already have this though???? Go fast

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Some leftover Humble keys:

Cortex Command - 3KTY5-W8KLJ-9HXK2
Humble Indie Bundle #3 Key - YCQCX-5CRVX-CCRKH
Aura Fate of the Ages (lovely adventure game??) - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=bTBwcpVAC87r2ktB

These'll get lurked, what can ya do

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It looks like a Myst wannabe in the Steam page so get excited about that!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I guess the key-swipers with bots or macros or whatever haven't bookmarked the new threads yet, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

threads in Games are not considered official until there's a chart, FACT. so here's my steamcompletionist pie

I've beaten too many games, i need to get every pie color to the same percentage or I can't get off!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress that is a good deal and the original Typing of the Dead was so fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Odd as it sounds that game would probably be more fun to play locally with multiplayer. I don't know if you can just plug in a second keyboard over USB or something and the game would recognize it as separate.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

I somehow grabbed Cortex Command just now. Like, an hour later. Thanks! It's been my white whale.
I guess it really comes down to the fact that a few goons bookmarked the old Steam thread and constantly checked it for keys. That's pretty funny. It won't last though, eventually they'll all bookmark this one. Maybe it's an argument for making new Steam threads every month or season though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't trust any Dwarf Fortress-alike until they near completion, if they ever do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I keep forgetting there are demos on Steam because barely any games have them anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

uPlay wouldn't even let me play the games I bought on Steam during the summer sale because their servers were getting so hammered that I couldn't register an account with them. It's the king of bad first impressions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Played some more games.. just kind of going scattershot here. I'm digging Brothers Tale of Two Sons, it's like Ico without the bullshit. I tried Cognition because it was a key offered in PGS, holy poo poo is it wonky, at one point the charcaters got caught in an animation/dialogue loop. You have That's So Raven powers to see poo poo that happened to objects/people in the.. uh the past?? But also the future?? It's the worlds most convenient superpower ever made. Everything you click on or interact with, the character slowly walks over to it and then there's a 5 second pause before they actually interact with it.

It's a Unity game and they didn't even provide a splash image for the generic Unity configuration launcher.

But I played One Finger Death Punch and that game is pretty cool. I bet it would be a hit on iPad too, doesn't even need to be on PC really. But it's silly and simple and entertaining.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaming's most popular walking simulators (which have inappropriate, lovely gameplay that gets in the way of that sweet terminal hacking) Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are on sale today for $2.49 each.

The GOTY version of each game is $6.79. Separately, DLC is 50% off rather than 75% off.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright I'm almost 20% into Strider and it's already my top Metroidvania on Steam, knocking off Guacamelee. The only game I've ever played with sword swinging as fast as Strider's is Ys Origin. Man I love to wail on enemies in this game. And the visuals looked drab in screenshots but it really is a nice looking game. I like that even little hidden rooms and plain corridors have cool design to them. They could've just been featureless "here's a health upgrade" rooms but sometimes it's like a library or an apartment or whatever. It's cool.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sonel posted:

It's mainly linear with some side paths for abilities you'll get later in the game. You'll go back to a certain area with new abilities, but the majority of backtracking you have to just decide to do on your own.
I've been exploring everywhere regardless, the linearity means you're never punished for going off the path, it's designed that way, so if there's a vertical tunnel and you're supposed to go forward into the next room, you can drop all the way down too, and maybe it'll loop back or maybe it'll lead to secret rooms and stuff.

But it also means no sequence breaking (that I'm aware of) so this is more on the Fusion side of Metroid, but without a computer giving you 10 minute essays on what to do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bladesofskrm posted:

On topic, when is the next Steam sale?
They sometimes have a Halloween weekend sale. It's not a huge one though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

"Hello World" has bugs. Even a program that just closes itself has bugs.

There's a difference between that and the 'this game will corrupt your save files in other games and your computer will burn down your dog' you get when you take the outside Internet's view of New Vegas at face value.
Thank you brave soldier for saving our thread from the invisible strawman army

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A bloo boo hoo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Okay so strider does have some backtracking after all, however it's still in the Metroid Fusion sense where you go back to regions but it's completely new areas in those regions. Every region looks really cool in this game, I just finished the black market area and it's a lil underground city with neon signs and christmas lights.

There's only one major flaw in the game that I've experienced and it's a technical one, which is saving. So you can't manually save, it autosaves for you, but it only autosaves at healing terminals. But the game also has 'checkpoints'. I haven't died in the game yet, so I've gotten burned a couple of times by assuming that the checkpoint meant the game autosaved and decided to take a break, only to come back and realize i lost progress.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dark Alliance was a rad game for the og xbox. This is important future steam sale info for ol' Questy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No game did the "moral choice" worse than Bioshock. You can save the little sisters and still become a demigod, or you can OBLITERATE THEM YAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *SCREAAAM*

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Somebody did the math, actually, and the evil choices get you more ADAM overall.

To be precise, 20 more ADAM. :effort:
Pretty much the only reason to go the other way is to see the bad ending, I guess. Each Bioshock's endings are all goofy and stupid though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's a Bioshock 2 ending where splicers start popping up on the surface of the ocean like an oil spill just killed thousands of fish, it's so fuckin dumb.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I kinda wonder if this sort of terribleness works across the board? Like do most people sit and watch football or baseball or movies in the theater even when they've just turned into runny dumps?
That's the entire premise of Thursday Night Football

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes. This is the sunk cost fallacy in action. People feel like they want a payoff to their time or money invested so they keep sinking their time or money into something hoping to achieve it. People will sit through bad movies, play poo poo video games, read terrible books, etc, because they paid for them and they want to get their money's worth, or because they already started investing time into it and they don't want the time previously spent to "go to waste." Even though it already has and continuing to spend time on it is just wasting more of it.
Also, the more money spent on a mediocre game, the more time is spent justifying that purchase while it's still fresh. Maybe more time spent justifying the purchase than actually playing the game, in some cases.

e: which is weird because if I spent a lot of money on something and it sucked I would just be pissed instead of trying to tell myself it was good and everyone saying it sucks is wrong (Thi4f)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm so glad "My Sonic OCs the game" is actually making it to release

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248310/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Isn't that game supposed to be actually pretty good
It looks like it would have been on sale for $15 at the blockbuster video in 1993 after too many parents returned it

e: it even has japanese text in the logo for no raisin

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Strider. Game owned the whole way through, including the ending where you ride the corpse of the final boss back to earth

Double helix isn't total garbage after all

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Weeklong Deals:

Daedalic Adventure Pack (Deponia, Edna & Harvey 2, Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit, Memoria) - $24.99
100% Orange Juice - $3.49
EDGE Extended - $2.39
Flatout - $1.87
Flatout 2 - $2.49
Flatout 3 - $7.49
Flatout Ultimage Carnage - $4.99
Hacker Evolution: Untold - $1.99
Little Inferno - $4.99
RUSH - $0.99
Sacrifice - $4.99
Toki Tori 2+ - $2.99 (Toki Tori 1 $0.99)
Two Worlds II - $4.74

and some other poo poo http://store.steampowered.com/sale/Weeklong_Deals

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Flash Bundle: Simulators (two Sim bundles in one week??)

$1

Bridge Project
Trainz Simulator 12 (it does have a Z in it....)
Euro Truck Simulator
Wildlife Park 3

$6

Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Agricultural Simulator 2013
Pool Nation
Professional Farmer 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

Let's lay off the good goon hiddenmovement and talk about the 25% off Steam Cards from Gamestop:

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/lionheart-promo

Slap the coupon on and get 20 steambux for 15$.
IF it's anything like their other coupons they don't allow you to use them on gift cards. I didn't see it in their terms on the page but just bear that in mind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You have friends here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just noticed Tower of Guns is half-off for the next 21-ish hours too. I know it's been a bit cheaper on a couple dailies recently but I keep missing those.
Tower of Guns is pretty cool. It was the last game I got in the Summer Sale on the final day and I played it the most of any game that week. I gotta get back to it. It gets brutally hard after the first two levels. There's some Serious Sam-esque moments where you're just scrambling as a billion things are shooting at you.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 22, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The gameplay in that trailer was the appropriate level of janky, I feel.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I haven't heard anything about Trendy that would make me think "I want to support them"

Orcs Must Die was better anyway

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Looks like Jon Romeros about to make a whole lot of goons his bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The keys are separate.

• Locked thread