Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I started playing Betrayer today and while it's not a perfect it is something drat interesting. It has elements of action and horror but it's more of an adventure game with you wandering around these environments and figuring out what happened to the people there. You speak to spirits of those killed, find graves and notes, and fight spooooky skeletons in order to uncover mysteries.

The black and white aesthetic is weird sometimes but overall fine and you can turn it off if you really hate it. There's really nothing in it that reminds me of FEAR as it was billed as by creators of but that's okay, it's perfectly fine on its own. I have a feeling it's not too long though, two hours in and it feels about halfway? We'll see I guess.

My one gripe so far is that I kinda wish it has voice acting. There's not a lot of dialog so it being completely without spoken roles is kinda weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Welp the final boss in Betrayer is loving terrible but that was still a pretty neat game. No reason to ever play it again though and enabling "Dark Souls lose your equipment if you can't corpse run" mode sounds like a good way to really hate that game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Toki Tori 2 is a really good puzzle/platformer/adventure game but good loving lord is it hard.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Croccers posted:

1, 2, Ultimate Carnage (The best one) and Next Car Game.

Flatout 1 holds a special place in my heard because 2 and 2.5 got rid of vehicle damage affecting handling. In 1 your shocks would blow and your car would start handling all crazy once it got beat to hell whereas it was all superficial in 2 and 2.5. Thankfully Next Car Game goes back to being more like 1 and Destruction Derby.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Drive to Hell is currently pay-what-you-want over on IndieGameStand! Buy it for whatever, give us a vote on Greenlight, and if we're greenlit you'll get a Steam key! https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

To go along with this Greenlight campaign we just pushed a big update to Drive to Hell so please give it a look! Here are the abridged notes:

quote:

-= Drive to Hell v1.5 Update! =-
We've made all kinds of updates to Drive to Hell! Besides bug fixes and balancing we've also redone some of the artwork, created a new Mirror Mode, and got rid of the black bars on the sides of the screen. No more gutters! Drive to Hell now features vibrant full-screen graphics regardless of your resolution!

Please spread the word and help us get Drive to Hell on Steam!

:wink:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Justin_Brett posted:

Voting for you just because selecting a name that close to Ride to Hell is kinda ballsy, even if you didn't do it on purpose.

Apparently Ride to Hell was in development a long goddamn time but I swear we picked this title way before it came out and became infamous. :saddowns:

Terminally Bored posted:

Got it from a bundle some time ago. Really fun game, I only wish unlocking new cars would require less coins.

Good news! One of the recent patches also rebalanced the economy a bit so things are more affordable overall!

And we're sitting at about 75% right now. This will probably be Drive to Hell's last Greenlight push so anything you guys can do to spread the word would be much appreciated. We've got some rad projects planned in the future!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I'd like to get "deep" into this game. :madmax:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Well the THQ bundle was specifically to try and help a failing company and EA donated 100% of the proceeds from its bundle so...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Tower of Guns trip report: I like this game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Sober posted:

Is it something I can mute all the sound on and just play while listening to podcasts? This is important.

Definitely.

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's because it's a Good Game.

So here's a question, do you ever get to take multiple guns in to the tower or get alt-fires or anything? The whole one gun that does one thing in a playthrough gets a little old and the items you can use are almost all completely terrible from what I've found. I also kinda don't like how 95% of the secrets require you to have the multiple jump perk selected from the beginning.

e: also the end boss is a motherfucker

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The perfect first person shooter would be like Popular Game that plays nothing like Popular Game. Also Minecraft.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Drifter posted:

It's funny about all the hate Witcher 1 gets, however hyperbolic, but loving hell how awesome a game it was when it was released.

The Witcher games both own for good reasons but boy do they both have their share of problems. Also

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Quick reminder that Drive to Hell is still pay-what-you-want over on IndieGameStand! Buy it for whatever, give us a vote on Steam Greenlight, and if we're greenlit you'll get a Steam key! https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Niggurath posted:

So Lone Survivor was a bit too slow for my taste and noticed what seems to be a pretty similar game, and was wondering if anyone had tried it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252830/

I've watch a lot of videos of it and it seems okay but way, way too similar to Lone Survivor. There's even less combat (you have to hide or you die) and just like Lone Survivor the map seems loving atrocious. It's a side scrolling game and the map in each of those games is from an overhead perspective probably because ~Silent Hill~.

I dunno I'll probably play it too but the reviews seem middling.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Thief plunged in price almost immediately but that's probably because nobody bought it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh poo poo Airtight closed its doors? I guess making an Ouya exclusive didn't work out so well for them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
From what I've seen of Murdered it looks like that's a pretty decent deal for it if you like adventurey type games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Firefall might be one of the blandest, shittiest games I've ever played. It feels like something some third rate Korean MMO factory shat out in a year, not something that's been in beta for four years and who knows how long in dev before that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ragequit posted:

I feel that way as well when people talk about the death scenes.

If the first thing you did after learning how to swan dive wasn't sending Lara head first into a stone floor I just don't know what to tell you.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Everblight posted:

how much is actually using logic and how much is pixel-hunting and using "video game logic", aka 'think like the designer, not a sane person'

There's no pixel hunting, you're manipulating different pieces on the box that follow an internal logic. It's a real good game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Justin_Brett posted:

I was looking up the games in that Bundle Stars deal, and,

Well then.

Steel Storm starts off seeming like a great little indie shooter but then you realize that it does everything possible to make you hate it with enemies spawning on top of you and a completely dogshit progression system.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

KoldPT posted:

https://twitter.com/koeitecmoeurope/status/493754149973286912

The Dynasty Warriors 8 XL CE DLC (god that's a mouthful) is coming to Steam! Now you can, too, look like this:

Well now I'm mildly interested in Dynasty Warriors.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Velocity Ultra is a really goddamn good game. It's like a mix of a shmup and a puzzle game and excels at both. The sequel looks to add elements of Metroid as well...somehow??

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hav posted:

It's solid and chains directly from the first one in terms that you just beat the big bad, and a new big bad starts chasing you down. They've added a tower defence minigame that you don't have to play and a squad of characters that can 'do missions' for you. I don't want to spoil the story, but you effectively become resistance fighters. Mechanics are the same as Van Helsing I and they liberally scatter references throughout. I think it was $12 durng the sale and worth every penny, IMO.

Is it the same as the tower defense portion of the first Van Helsing? That was boring as hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hav posted:

I'll admit to completely missing that. poo poo comes out of portals along some paths, and you have square trap spaces and towers that can be placed and upgraded? If that was in the first, I completely blanked it out.

Yeah it was. It was easily the low point of the game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Geokinesis posted:

Huh, looking at that Sacred 3 stuff it appears some of the devs behind the first 2 games are making a spiritual sequel that was called Unsacred but now has the fairly ridiculous name Unbended.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sweyq22HhXs

Not as bad as Ridge Racer Unbounded but holy hell that's a bad name.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xT2rG_sLUc

It's nice to see games made from those "learn to program video games" books can make it big on Steam.

Soundtrack ripped from every PS1 era racing game ever made.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Free to play open wordly shootmans trip report: Firefall is loving hot garbage and not worth a second of anyone's time and Defiance is surprisingly solid and enjoyable across the board.

For real I can't believe after all this time that's how they released Firefall and I legit thought Defiance was going to be crap but I was wrong!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ghostlight posted:

I tried Firefall last night and it seemed to me like Trion took everything they learnt making Defiance, including significant aspects of the world and enemy design, and cynically created a characterless simulacrum of it to avoid paying license fees or being beholden to the TV show. Then jammed it full of a confusing array of currencies (which says a lot considering Defiance' s) and cranked the texture saturation up.

Wait what. The developers behind Firefall have nothing to do with Defiance. I just bright them up in the same post because they're both free to play MMO shooters.

But yeah Firefall could be a good game eventually maybe but right now it's a shell of an experience. Quests are boring and basic and you'll spend most of your time running from point to point, story missions are few and far between, the graphics are dated to ugly, the story and world are completely incoherent, there's almost nothing happening in the world outside of job board poo poo, and as far as I can tell the people really into it are just thumping for mats in the hopes the game gets better. And they completely nixed PVP which was kinda the whole point of the game for most of its dev cycle.

This is a good read about Firefall. Also http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Ozzallos/042014/26018_Death-of-an-MMO-Part-3

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 4, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

This might be one of the ugliest games I've ever seen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Lili is a nice little adventure game. It started out mobile but it was an ambitious one so I'm not sure how it translates but I remember liking it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
How in the gently caress can you put Dead Space and awful controls in the same sentence. Everything about the movement and aiming in those games are fluid as hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Zombie Samurai posted:

Why are you all arguing about lovely controls instead of playing The Expendabros for free?

THIS is how you do a movie tie-in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Crytek hosed up so bad it's not even funny.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hav posted:

Crysis 3 and Homefront weren't well received, and Homefront in particular didn't sell well, although neither achieved the sales figures they were expecting given Crytek's expansion. Ryse was the straw that broke the camel's back because they had an entire two year development cycle sitting on the back of those sales, with Homefront II being the next out of the gate, had they paid their bills on time.

Crytek had nothing to do with the first Homefront, that was Kaos and THQ and there's a million reasons why it failed. If you want to read a really good piece of video game writing and a great postmortem on the game and company, check this out: http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/3560318/homefront-kaos-studios-thq

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't know what that is but it looks great.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Eh, I'd play it for maybe $20.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The new Steam notification icon is ugly as hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Ragequit posted:

Pictures? I use skins and haven't been in the beta for some time.

I'll try when I get home but the icon is a weird blue circle now with some nasty aliased edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Quantum Conundrum sucks, Antichamber is really rad. Never played Q.U.B.E. or Magrunner: Dark Pulse. Kairo is sorta slow but well made even though I have no idea what the point of any of it was. FRACT OSC also seems really cool. Then of course the Portals are great.

This has been your first person puzzler gaming minute.

• Locked thread