Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Eonwe posted:

By the way, Clockwork Empires - earliest access starts today.

Its kind of a Dwarf Fortress-like made by the Dungeons of Dredmor (also goons) devs.

http://clockworkempires.com/

So... anybody have impressions? My "buy" finger is getting twitchy but that price point is enough to stall me until I get a better picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't trust any Dwarf Fortress-alike until they near completion, if they ever do.

It is by the Dredmor guys so they at least have some credence, but that's still a pretty good point.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Whatever, I already voted Yes and said as much and joined their group. Trigger is pulled, free game is coming, and it doesn't look like a terrible game other than all that gross stuff that's in it.

Or it might not be coming at all. I did the 'vote yes and get a free copy' thing for a couple other not-entirely-lovely-looking greenlight titles a ways back, and only once they actually got greenlit did they reveal that there are in fact very limited quantities of keys to give away free and you have to be online to post your claim in this 3-hour window and hope you beat the rest of the people trying to get in on it. :what:

Seriously this poo poo should be banned.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Okay I finally grabbed Doom 3 out of curiosity from that sale (yes, the original) and I can't seem to get the all-important duct tape mod to work. Sikkmod works just fine, but I've put the duct tape mod's pak009.pk4 into the Doom 3\base folder and it's not showing up in the mods list, nor do I have a flashlight attached to the shotgun now that I've got it. What am I doing wrong?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So I guess the story with the duct tape mod is that it was originally distributed as pak008, before the final update to the game added an inbuilt pak008 with some grenade scripts of some sort -- hence the duct tape mod is now distributed as pak009.

Having it in the directory as pak009 doesn't work.

Transplanting the file contents of pak009 into the game's provided pak008, also doesn't work.

Overwriting the provided pak008 with a renamed pak009, and thusly sabotaging other functionality within the game? Works.

why in the gently caress:psypop:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Actually my mistake, it wasn't working at all -- if I strip the grenade scripts from the folder, the duct tape mod will stat setting me back to the last loading zone as if it were working, but is in fact just setting me back to the loading zone for shits and giggles while I remain duct tapeless.

Should've just bought BFG Edition after all. v:geno:v

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Just noticed Tower of Guns is half-off for the next 21-ish hours too. I know it's been a bit cheaper on a couple dailies recently but I keep missing those.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Gergleflerg posted:

I just got randomly added as someone's friend, they apparently gifted me something in Dota 2 (which I don't have installed), and then they removed me as a friend immediately after I responded with confusion... Is this a regular thing?

Generally people trading online who don't know each other will remove one another from their friend lists after the fact, but this is still odd. What'd he give you? Maybe he just wanted to be rid of it or osmething.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is the new Dungeon Defenders any good? It seems like they pretty much took the original and made it not crap.

As I understand it, the current knocks against it are as follows:

4-player online mandatory Single-player and hosting of private matches has actually been patched in now.
• Eternal is actually a port of the new mobile version, rather than being developed natively for PC. It's to allow cross-platform play, I guess.
• Always-online DRM, presumably to dissuade weapon hacking.
• Majority of the game assets are streamed from Trendy's servers, and there seems to be no local cache. Redownload a map every time you play!
• Horrible server issues, think SimCity and Diablo 3 launches. They were allegedly anticipating this and did nothing to assuage it, though who knows if they even had the means to.
• Comes with all the former DLC for existing customers... except the DLC that isn't even in this release (yet? I'm not clear on how much is missing, nor whether permanently).
• Comes with brand new cash shop for cosmetics and emotes.

I still think the overall goon mentality towards the original game is excessively harsh, I had a grand time with it. But I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole at present.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Rirse posted:

With all the expansions it the best in the series, which as much I liked Sims 3...never quite reach it's high. The Open for Business expansion being my favorite as I always liked having a at home business. Just a shame it doesn't let you customize hair/clothes like Sims 3, but then again Sims 4 won't have that feature either for some reason.

Open for Business also lets you build robots. Toy robots, home defense and garden-watering robots, and eventually these guys:

who take the role of a normal house resident, aside from having to recharge every so often and stay away from water.

Sims 2 was also the last one Will Wright had input on, iirc. Definitely has a spark that I just did not see in Sims 3 at all, albeit missing a few of the quality of life improvements 3 had. Bonus to having it on Origin is that even if you don't like Origin, it's still a lot goddamn easier than installing all that expansion content manually. In order of release. :gonk:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

bengy81 posted:

Anybody pick up Dungeon Defenders Eternity?

I know goons have opinions about That game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, just curious if Eternity is worth upgrading to.

As someone who enjoyed the original, maybe. The tavern is really the worst goddamn thing, I can't organize my poo poo at all anymore thanks to the constant lag from new connections.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I had somehow forgotten how buggy Sims 2 is. I had the worst possible hire for my home business, who spent more time getting in fights with the customers and doing his own window shopping than actually manning the till, but the 'management' part of the radial menu is missing so the only way left for me to fire him was by closing the business down and starting it back up from scratch. :v:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Kind of late on this but DNF regularly swung between subpar and offensively bad. I think the only stage I actually enjoyed in the entire game was the escape from the flood before the final boss, just because it was actually a well-executed setpiece and there were basically no enemies to deal with and remind you of how lovely the gunplay was on top of everything else. I guess it was worth the $2.50 simply as having personal closure to the decade-and-a-half-long joke that whole thing had become.

Disclaimer: I have no nostalgia for old Duke, the new game would be considered just as bad in a vacuum.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The joke is Bad Rats is not a good game

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

It's sort of like if EV Nova worked on a system similar to Fallout's battle mechanics. And also there are text adventures and RTS sections.

Also I guess $1 for QUBE isn't bad but given that it's just the base game (which isn't even actually available to buy anymore otherwise) it seems a bit of a cop-out. Although who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it and nab the director's cut out of sheer curiosity.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

I liked metro, I felt it was too by the numbers though, not enough survival aspect. With native language turned on the atmosphere was near perfect though.

I hit a brickwall two-thirds of the way through 2033 when I ran out of air filters on the surface and the last two shops hadn't loving had any to stock up on anyway. Can't say I wasn't challenged by the survival aspect. v:v:v

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Poopinstein posted:

You should check out 8BitBoy the next time it shows up in a bundle. Total Maria style 2d platformer, but really challenging and packed full of secrets and stuff. I've enjoyed it a lot, especially since I had no idea what I was in for when I grabbed it.

It's actually $1.54 right now, close enough.

E: $1.34 if you link your profile from the IndieGala bundles and spend some Galapoints. So THAT'S what those are for!

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 6, 2014

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

About an hour into CONSORTIUM. The premise is goofy as hell. Uh, the game is a portal into the future and you're shoved into control of some sort of high tech operative on board a flying fortress. The first section of the game is me trying to get someone to believe that I'm stuck in this guy. Its... well. Yeah hokey as hell.

Or you can just play along as though nothing is wrong. For me half the fun was from trying to avoid getting called out as a weirdo.

Also the game comes with a PDF with like 150 pages of lore about the universe if that's your sort of thing. All kinds of parallel universe and alternate timeline malarkey.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Friend of mine just got his Steam account hijacked by virtue of never having wanted to bother with SteamGuard. This was on Wednesday. Still waiting to have any sort of reply from support, automated or otherwise.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Kanfy posted:

What is there to even "bother" about Steam Guard, isn't it on by default? I don't think I've ever even noticed it.

It turned on automatically for some people, not so much for others. Because Steam.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

gently caress the stupid respawning oval office convict car and courtyard. The timers I could take or leave, I really don't think they added anything to the game and I don't see how it's such a point of contention, but they didn't turn me off of the game entirely. Those assholes in their jeep, however, did.

I guess this is an element of the game that is working entirely as intended and because that one specific thing is ruining my enjoyment of it I'm an idiot and should play something else!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So out of nowhere I got randomly gifted a Road Redemption key by the devs as part of a random selection of people who had the game on their wishlist, or something.

I'm not sure if it's $20 worth of fun, it has a handful of issues like poor balancing, but holy poo poo, keep an eye out for this one in future sales. It starts off Road Rash-y enough, but an hour in I just spent a couple tracks bopping up and down with my jump jets, grapple-swinging from helicopters, dodging entire waves of wrecked cars flung at me by a rampaging tornado, all the while spitting my grenade launcher everywhere. And then I raced on loving Rainbow Road. :pcgaming:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

100+ posts overnight? Huh, I wonder what--holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about wasteland already

e: I liked Far Cry 3 until it became Retarded James Cameron's Avatar. Blood Dragon had its own share of issues, but I liked it better if only because you could run like a car and ignore fall damage.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 2, 2014

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The real problem with the Canadian prices is that over the last several years the CAD to USD exchange has been completely epileptic. We were OVER the value of the USD for a while, and now we're bopping constantly between about 82-92 cents last I checked. So sometimes the deals will be better, sometimes they'll be worse, but either way I just had a skim down my wishlist and nothing is particularly outrageous, hell in some cases they're just doing a direct USD-to-CAD conversion. I'm not gonna get too huffed about a dollar's difference here and there when I remember the alternatives are Europe and Australia.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

From the latest trailer, I am worried that the new Borderlands is gonna go waaaaay too far in the self-referential/internet meme direction. A bit of that is okay, but moderation is important too.

edit: and as we know, the Borderlands series is all about moderation.

I'm honestly kind of numb to it by this point. It's like someone's throwing a pot of spaghetti at me piece by piece, occasionally it'll stick, the rest of the time I can roll my eyes and go back to shooting things.

edit: Although, advertising a "way chattier" Claptrap just made the hairs on the back of my neck rise up.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Randallteal posted:

3089 for $4 - A cool robot-themed procedurally generated first person action-exploration game.

Does anyone actually have extended impressions of this? I tried 3079 briefly and was just completely and utterly lost. A game that's 95% procedurally generated has its drawbacks. It also seems like the dev has developers' ADD and instead of fixing what's wrong with each successive game he just suddenly springs into building the sequel from the ground up.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I've found that people who are upset with Stanley Parable are generally taking it entirely too seriously and trying to find some deeper meaning hidden within a string of snarky meta-narration and ridicule. It pokes equal parts fun at you, itself, and other people, all in a style that to me seems to be channeling a more brash Douglas Adams, while taking full advantage of the interactive presentation to make its humor work and give you a surprising amount of things to unearth. The humor may fall flat for you personally but if you think there is any sort of genuine air of smugness about it then you have literally missed the entire point.

In other news, I finally booted up Arkham City again. I never got too far in it, last time I played was before the Steamworks patch and my new graphics card, and I come back to find my save files are gone (Steamworks patch I'm guessing)... and my 360 controller flatly refuses to be detected by the game now, where it worked just fine before. The gently caress?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The ability to savescum pretty much takes all the tension out of a horror game, so it's extremely important that if you're going to use save checkpoints, you balance them right. Far enough apart that it doesn't feel like you're just jumping from point to point, and give you just a little edge of "I'd rather not lose this progress", but not so far apart that a death, particularly one from an enemy billed as being unpredictable, is just going to make you go "gently caress it" and quit for the night. In general I thought the save system and tween-save checkpointing was another thing RE4 did quite well, although there were a few points where the checkpoint closest to a tough boss fight is down a really long path and through a fairly drawn-out cutscene with several instant death QTEs. Those parts weren't great.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Savestating versus checkpointing is like health regeneration versus health kits. In most genres of games, horror included, part of the point is the challenge. It creates investment. Otherwise you end up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2uyDqbA-Q You can have all the atmosphere you like but without something to create investment there's no real tension. As someone who fell into the habit of savestating like crazy in the GBC/GBA emulation era, it really does remove a lot from the experience. It's all about achieving the balance between challenge and frustration, which admittedly is a different sweet spot for different people. On that note having a save point you can be eviscerated in the middle of using is a tremendous dick move. Also this discussion is stupid and I'm stupid for continuing it please probate everyone, gas thread, do over again guys

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I can't believe Faerie Solitaire 2 still isn't out.

e: vvv Isn't that one of the things Lowtax covered on Gaming Garbage a while back?

e2: Guess not, but close enough.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 25, 2014

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Holy poo poo, I just noticed Experience 112 in the new releases list. :psyduck: I remember playing the demo of that back in the day and being immediately hooked by its pretty unique premise of putting you on the other side of a security monitor and giving you limited interaction with mechanical objects around the protagonist to aid her progress. I gather it wasn't a fantastic package overall, but for 5 bucks I'm definitely gonna revisit that.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

kanonvandekempen posted:

Dead space 2 is mostly more of the same, I didn't think it was better at all. If you are going to pick it up now, you'll probably get it with the game-breaking pre-order content, including (if I'm remembering right) a suit that is better than anything you find for the first 80% of the game. So I'd get rid of all that if you enjoy having a character that gradually grows stronger over the course of a game.

DS2 is marginally better mechanically, but serves as a perfect example of why giving, say, Gordon Freeman a voice and prominent character role would be a loving terrible idea. It's sort of like the RE5 of the trilogy, where it's starting to lean out of survival horror and into braindead action flick, but doesn't quite make the full transition until DS3 (RE6).

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Risk of Rain, much like Binding of Isaac, is the type of game where you can end up just completely and utterly cornholed by the RNG. The only class you start off with is actually pretty lovely other than having a dodge move (which doesn't help much when you positively need more damage output), and some of the ones you unlock are even worse. There'll probably be at least one that clicks with you though, and then eventually you'll get a lucky run where you completely hand the game its rear end, but your patience might not last that long. I had a good time with it and got in a couple winning runs before losing interest, but one of my friends went totally ape spit with it and unlocked everything.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So apparently Nimble Quest is on sale for 50 cents but there's no discount in the Canadian store whatsoever. :gaben:

Also, here's a free key for Home because I hate everyone and want you to suffer what I did: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=B38hNuKth4UEZ8ue

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

saucerman posted:

I was wondering: What happens if/when the Alien finds you? Is it pretty much a game over or can you run away? I am assuming that you won't always have access to a flame thrower and even that loses its edge at some point.

Can you kill the Alien?

You die / you probably die / no.

Colonial Marines it ain't.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Y'all making GBS threads on Painkiller Hell & Damnation are crazy. Aside from the odd tendency for some straggler enemies to spawn in odd nooks and be unable to find their way to the battlefield, and the fact that you don't get the titular weapon until level 2, this is a pretty darn good remake, and it has the advantage of snappy load times and not using a completely asstarded save system.

Got a few Risk of Rain keys to give away, since I guess they're gonna expire or something. Figured I'd make it a little interesting and deter bots at the same time -- last letter of each is replaced with an underscore, first letter of what's in the accompanying picture is the answer. Remember case sensitivity! e: All gone apparently!

humblebundle.com/s?gift=Pfr8bnbd5mpu6DF_

humblebundle.com/s?gift=s3tyw3G56XHUfHr_

humblebundle.com/s?gift=ydd6fF4zTcFKsGq_

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 3, 2014

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Contingency Plan posted:

Picked up Resident Evil 4 HD edition during the Halloween sale, and there is an awful problem with stuttering music and desynced sound effects in some areas but not others. Anyone else have this problem? A handful of people on the Steam RE4 section have the same issue and it seems none were able to resolve it.

RE4 HD is a great port other than having utterly loving poo poo optimization, or possibly just some bizarrely widespread hardware conflict that they never nailed down. The game doesn't understand how to skip frames, so any performance issues make the sound run completely out of sync. Crank down the graphics settings (in particular try 30 FPS rather than 60 and turn off the weird visual ghosting effect) and see what that does for you.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

So the only way to quit out of RE4 HD seems to be hitting Alt-F4

Common misconception for some reason. "Retry or Load" from the menu, return to title, exit from there. I guess they could've named the menu option more clearly :v:

efb

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

quote:

Ayrat: Everyone needs tools! Writers need tools! Translators need tools! The composer needs tools!

Liu: I need a pony.

Peter: Why do you have to be so difficult!

(Peter and Ayrat fight. Swords are used at one point. Ivan tries to mediate, but is killed in the crossfire, and no one notices. Meethos looks darkly amused. The duel comes to a halt when the participants are too tired to go on.)
:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I just noticed that Paranautical Activity is gone from the Steam store, and the dev's Steamworks Developer status has been revoked. Apparently all that, possibly as a result of this (on top of his existing reputation), went down on the same day it came out of Early Access.

My God, the schadenfreude here is nourishing.

• Locked thread