Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I am feeling impulsive please tell me which system to buy. PS3 right?!?!? Thank you friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Unironically that, or a 360. Games are cheap now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
PS3,360, and Wii games are all cheap as hell right now

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
oh it's time baby

time to buy a wii u

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

yo that weird squid squrting team game from e3 looks baller.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

3DS/Wii U/Gaming PC

You're basically covered although the PS3 PS+ is silly amazing sometimes

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Get a PS3. 360 sucks, and the Wii has enough good games that I can count them on one hand. Definitely get PS+ with it.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

PS3 with PS+ like everyone else has said is an amazing deal. Slightly biased as I've only owned Sony consoles, but the PS3 is generally worth it's price tag.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I had a ps3 that stopped reading DVDs so I thought it would be a good idea to fix the dvdblurary drive myself cuz im ~technical~. It no longer works :(. I have a PC that I built myself so it's pretty sweet and 3ds that I played for a week. pokemon is garbage and that zelda game was loving amazing. yeah ps+ looks loving awesome. I have money because I am a young adult so I think i will just buy a ps4 or nothing at all. thank you for listening. maybe a wii u when it becomes cool when zelda comes out.

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

honestly the wii u is worth a purchase already for the wonderful 101 + all the other platinum games coming out on it
I still think the ps4 is a better choice tho because I am sony's bitch.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I bought a gamecube and I was sad. I bought a wii and I was sad. fool me twice shame on me. learn something from my folly.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
all

of

them

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

spacebrospiff posted:

I had a ps3 that stopped reading DVDs so I thought it would be a good idea to fix the dvdblurary drive myself cuz im ~technical~. It no longer works :(. I have a PC that I built myself so it's pretty sweet and 3ds that I played for a week. pokemon is garbage and that zelda game was loving amazing. yeah ps+ looks loving awesome. I have money because I am a young adult so I think i will just buy a ps4 or nothing at all. thank you for listening. maybe a wii u when it becomes cool when zelda comes out.

Yeah if it's down to current gen systems, then go with the PS4. Xbone sucks dick, and the Wii U is... well, it's a Nintendo console. :shrug:

Still get PS+ though, free games for PS3/PS4/Vita (you can claim them even if you don't have the console. I've got about 20 Vita games waiting for me) and discounts on tons of other poo poo.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If it's down to current gen systems buy a nice set of flowmasters and piss off everyone around you when you drive far more entertaining imo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

spacebrospiff posted:

Current gen I'd go for a PS4 for sure.

Will the Wii U ever be cool, like really?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Right now the Wii U is really appealing to me since it has a bunch of cool local multiplayer games.

The PS4 is gonna have Bloodborne and the Xbone... lol

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

zen death robot posted:

The Wii U has the best exclusives so far.

I'm saying this as someone who owns a PS4 and hardly ever finds a reason to turn it on at the moment. Aside from some MLB14 now and then.

Fair enough, exclusives don't really bother me/sway me when deciding on a console. I've always enjoyed PlayStation consoles and have stuck to them really.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Looke posted:

Current gen I'd go for a PS4 for sure.

Will the Wii U ever be cool, like really?

history says no but they had a positive e3 and the narrative i've gleaned indicates that they are starting to learn from their mistakes. only time will tell.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

spacebrospiff posted:

history says no but they had a positive e3 and the narrative i've gleaned indicates that they are starting to learn from their mistakes. only time will tell.

there were some cool things at e3 for sure

zen death robot posted:

I'm pretty much the same, but I'd say it's a bit soon to jump on the PS4 unless there's something on it that you're really wanting. I wanted to play Ground Zeroes at 1080p/60fps so that was my excuse. I knew the first year was going to be like this otherwise.

I agree, I did preoreder a PS4 for launch, but after looking at the titles available back then I decided to cancel it. I'll probably get one next month - Even though I've played most of it on my PS3 I'm looking forward to a graphically improved GTA V, as well as Evolve which I'm pretty stoked for. Other than that since more games are out at the end of the year/next year, I'll probably use it for media streaming and stuff like that which I use my PS3 for a lot atm.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The first year of the PS2 was pretty barren and I think people might be forgetting that or maybe weren't old enough to remember that or whatever

I'm not saying that the PS4 is going to end up at the PS2 levels but it's so far par for the course entry games wise for the first year

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Widestancer posted:

The first year of the PS2 was pretty barren and I think people might be forgetting that or maybe weren't old enough to remember that or whatever

I'm not saying that the PS4 is going to end up at the PS2 levels but it's so far par for the course entry games wise for the first year

Absolutely, looking at some of the stuff due to come out end of the year/next year. I'm pretty excited to get a PS4, it's just a shame that it's lacking games atm - though PS+ has been providing me with a fair amount of PS4 games already.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

spacebrospiff posted:

The mistakes they've been committing for 20 years now, ie: gimmicky controllers? I will be loving shocked if Nintendo ever releases another console with a non-retarded input method.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Im more pissed about the internet and how much they hate it.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

spacebrospiff posted:

Im more pissed about the internet and how much they hate it.

Which is really weird when you consider all the online-centered addons they tried to sell for their consoles before the Wii.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
We here at imp zone recommend the wii
U for your console gaming needs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get a dreamcast, OP

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

get a dreamcast, OP

get with the times son

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Cyra posted:

We here at imp zone recommend the wii
U for your console gaming needs

the new phiz

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Buy a Personal Computer

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Wii U will be worth owning once homebrew gets better and you can easily play three generations of Nintendo games on one box

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Anatidaephobia posted:

Wii U will be worth owning once homebrew gets better and you can easily play three generations of Nintendo lovely games on one box

Nintendo is the Action 52 of console makers.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
Actually with emulators and a USB loader you could theoretically play almost every game ever released for a Nintendo console on the Wii U, which IMO is a pretty cool selling point

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Anatidaephobia posted:

Actually with emulators and a USB loader you could theoretically play almost every game ever released for a Nintendo console on the Wii U, which IMO is a pretty cool selling point

not gamecube though?

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

PS3/4 seem to be the best if you already have a gaming PC. Maybe a Wii for the handful of actual good games since you should be able to get one dirt cheap now, assuming you don't just buy games and play them on an emulator.

Wii U actually has some non-terrible games now, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend money on it yet.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Vhadka posted:

assuming you don't just buy games and play them on an emulator.

Which is what you should do, since Dolphin can upscale the resolution and supports wiimotes, along with a slew of other QoL improvements. Even a lovely Core2Duo can handle games like New Super Mario Bros., so I see literally no reason to buy a Wii.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

not gamecube though?

You can, it just doesn't have very good compatibility yet. Last night I played Melee with a Dualshock 4 :getin:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Frank Horrigan posted:

Which is what you should do, since Dolphin can upscale the resolution and supports wiimotes, along with a slew of other QoL improvements. Even a lovely Core2Duo can handle games like New Super Mario Bros., so I see literally no reason to buy a Wii.

Dolphin can make amazing improvements and is is a good thing.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, the only thing I've played on Dolphin is Xenoblade, and that was like 2 years ago or some poo poo, so it's probably a lot better now. I wish there were working emulators for the 360 and ps3, but if they ever happen it'd probably require some crazy future computer to be playable.

Really, I just want to play my 360 games again but I can't afford even a lovely refurbished one right now.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
xenoblade was probably one of the most difficult wii games to emulate, so if you can handle it you can handle everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

dolphin used to need pretty high requirements.

• Locked thread