Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I think you would find that out pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

prefect get one that's 5 GHz range and use that frequency and try changing the channels

i found out that if you give the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels different names, you can pick and choose between them. unfortunately, two rooms away doesn't seem to be close enough for consistent 5 ghz connections

might need to buy that super-broadcasting router that was mentioned

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

theadder posted:

THE AIRPORT EXTREME

the tall airport time capsule extreme is poo poo, it delivers shamefully low file transfer speeds, it may be just that the whole mac file sharing is completely broken. access to shared volumes on the timecapsule is also crap.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
running this query should tell me the physical memory that an SQL server has available right?
code:
select * from sys.dm_os_sys_memory
total_physical_memory_kb	available_physical_memory_kb	total_page_file_kb	available_page_file_kb	system_cache_kb	kernel_paged_pool_kb	kernel_nonpaged_pool_kb	system_high_memory_signal_state	system_low_memory_signal_state	system_memory_state_desc
4182924	867476	8612588	5560336	1417072	135928	62548	1	0	Available physical memory is high
I'm running it on a hosted server and it gives 4 gigs which seems shamefully low.

If I run

code:
SELECT object_name, counter_name, cntr_value AS 'Total Server Memory (KB)'
FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters 
WHERE counter_name = 'Total Server Memory (KB)'
I get 1638272 KB which for a sql server with probably 50 people connected to it, and 20 gigs of actively used databases seems so low that it shouldn't even work.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

running this query should tell me the physical memory that an SQL server has available right?
code:

total_physical_memory_kb	available_physical_memory_kb	total_page_file_kb	available_page_file_kb	system_cache_kb	kernel_paged_pool_kb	kernel_nonpaged_pool_kb	system_high_memory_signal_state	system_low_memory_signal_state	system_memory_state_desc
4182924	867476	8612588	5560336	1417072	135928	62548	1	0	Available physical memory is high

I'm running it on a hosted server and it gives 4 gigs which seems shamefully low.

If I run

code:

I get 1638272 KB which for a sql server with probably 50 people connected to it, and 20 gigs of actively used databases seems so low that it shouldn't even work.

It sounds like the problem is that you aren't running Oracle.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

We're using Symbol MC9whatever barcode scanners for our stockroom inventory and they are awful Windows Mobile 6 shitpiles that cost way too much money and I'm tired of seeing that much cash go to a company that isn't doing poo poo to advance their product. I'm looking long and hard at wrapping ipod touches up in these honeywell barcode cases https://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US/Pages/Product.aspx?category=enterprise-sleds-for-apple-devices&cat=HSM&pid=captuvosl22v5 but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there I should be looking at. The Honeywell stuff is nice because they have 4 device charging bays. It's not a deal breaker and the shops guys could fabricate some kind of charging platform if we absolutely needed to do it, but just being able to buy something and having people drop the device in when they're done with it is nice and what the folks are already accustomed to with the Symbol devices.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

code:

If I run

code:

is that total server memory or memory allocated to the instance you're connected to?

also lol @ 20 gigs of databases. thats adorable.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

second one will definitely be total server memory. 16 gigs is probably overkill for your tiny baby database.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Squinty Applebottom posted:

second one will definitely be total server memory. 16 gigs is probably overkill for your tiny baby database.

Not when your dba and programmers are crap and every single thing triggers a full table scan. Ask Me About Our lovely Oracle Database

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
it's 1.6 gigs not 16

Turns out the whole thing is run on a 32 bit OS. oh well.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's 1.6 gigs not 16

Turns out the whole thing is run on a 32 bit OS. oh well.

SELECT * FROM LOL

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there a coffeescript config file i can make kinda like compass's awfully named config.rb?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

code:

If I run

code:

check ur cache hit rate and disk queue. if they're both good who gives a gently caress let er ride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

how the hell do i get my colors to stick with yospos, i keep having to switch from green and i've enabled all cookies on this site

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

use the one true yosscheme

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

prefect posted:

i found out that if you give the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels different names, you can pick and choose between them. unfortunately, two rooms away doesn't seem to be close enough for consistent 5 ghz connections

might need to buy that super-broadcasting router that was mentioned

if u use the same name it autochooses if u have a good device (ie ios idk about others)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the tall airport time capsule extreme is poo poo, it delivers shamefully low file transfer speeds, it may be just that the whole mac file sharing is completely broken. access to shared volumes on the timecapsule is also crap.

werks for me shantfix

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
only computer problem i've had...since switching to mac...is not enough computer problems

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
to think 'fixing computers' used to be a thing people made a job out of. like 'fixing bikes' or something lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah ask local folksy hardware janitor 'jonny' about baking cpus to fix them

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

pram posted:

yeah ask local folksy hardware janitor 'jonny' about baking cpus to fix them

authentic vintage distressed cpu

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

asus should sell selvage motherboards using only ICs from the end of the tape

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theadder posted:

if u use the same name it autochooses if u have a good device (ie ios idk about others)

yeah, that's what my macbook does; i was hoping that i could get better performance by forcing it to use 5ghz, but apparently i need more power in my router

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the earbuds that came with my iphone broke, so i went down to a shop and bought new ones. the new ones say they have a year warranty. does this mean that in future if the buds break b4 next summer that i can just go to the aapl store and get replacements

i don't really care about the cost but the idea that you'd have a warranty on headphones is weird to me

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Breakfast All Day posted:

asus should sell selvage motherboards using only ICs from the end of the tape

lol

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
ive had my thinkpad x220 with win 7 for like 4-5 years now not a single problem

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

colbylol posted:

ive had my thinkpad x220 with win 7 for like 4-5 years now not a single problem
it came out in 2011 have you been traveling at a significant fraction of c since then?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prefect posted:

yeah, that's what my macbook does; i was hoping that i could get better performance by forcing it to use 5ghz, but apparently i need more power in my router

yeah don't do that

the point of 5ghz is it doesn't carry super-well so your neighbors' poo poo doesn't drown yours out

if you start loving withr adios to amek your life better but with substantial negative externalities you're a piece of poo poo and you should go to radio jail

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

it came out in 2011 have you been traveling at a significant fraction of c since then?

that would time travel in the wrong direction idiot

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you start loving withr adios to amek your life better but with substantial negative externalities you're a piece of poo poo and you should go to radio jail

lol

Bloody posted:

this isn't "thread for when you have problems with physics"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Bloody posted:

oh sorry i meant "have you been at a significant distance from bloody's gravitational field since then?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

oh sorry i meant "have you been at a significant distance from bloody's gravitational field since then?"

:fry:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

only computer problem i've had...since switching to mac...is not enough computer problems

tbh if any one actually has a computer problem here then they should get out of yospos

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Bloody posted:

sms go over telephone networks ipads isnt telephones

don't worry you helpful feckers I changed my telco to one that doesn't need to send sms's to teh ipaddddd

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I've got 99 problems... but a problem ain't one! :newlol:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:newlol:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
oddly enough I'm using a beaglebone black for a 5ghz ap- very quick compared to the nettgear my neighbor has - hell, the usb dongle was more expensive then the board.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I would like to pay someone to be the relay for business e-mails, because gently caress having to deal with people in charge of mail systems.

I can find places that will let you use their servers for "transactional" messages and what not. I do not want to send thousands of newsletters to people, this is regular old e-mail to regular old people.

I don't need to filter incoming mail, I just need to throw a line into postfix for a smart_relay and wash my hands of this poo poo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

I would like to pay someone to be the relay for business e-mails, because gently caress having to deal with people in charge of mail systems.

I can find places that will let you use their servers for "transactional" messages and what not. I do not want to send thousands of newsletters to people, this is regular old e-mail to regular old people.

I don't need to filter incoming mail, I just need to throw a line into postfix for a smart_relay and wash my hands of this poo poo.

is this email one human sends to another? use an email provider

is this email a computer sends to one human at a time? that's "transactional," and mandrill by mailchimp works well

is this email a computer or an rear end in a top hat sends to a shitload of humans at once? that's "campaign," and mailchimp works well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is this email one human sends to another? use an email provider

is this email a computer sends to one human at a time? that's "transactional," and mandrill by mailchimp works well

is this email a computer or an rear end in a top hat sends to a shitload of humans at once? that's "campaign," and mailchimp works well

yeah I need the first

I have found http://www.smtp2go.com in my searches since posting, and I think that will do what I need