Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

raruler posted:

you will really same yourself some headaches if you just get a PCMCIA ethernet card

that's what I thought. obscure vlan fuckery with a cheap switch doesnt sound like something i want to waste a second of my life. just wanna get a proper firewall and maybe some snort rules running idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
where's the thread about fractals? i swear rotor made it, but i can't find it now

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

basically just use a windows tablet as a smartphone with skype and you've got a better calendar exerience than apple/exchange

it's weird how bad contact and calendar sharing in exchange is, also it's funny that office 365 couldn't do away with public folders.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

where's the thread about fractals? i swear rotor made it, but i can't find it now

the mandlebrot is worthless thread? it was my creation

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650595

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

the mandlebrot is worthless thread? it was my creation

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650595

oh thanks & weird i thought i did a search on like 6 pages for mandelbrot oh wait it's spelt wrong that's why :xd:

tank u

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

computer toucher posted:

that's what I thought. obscure vlan fuckery with a cheap switch doesnt sound like something i want to waste a second of my life. just wanna get a proper firewall and maybe some snort rules running idk.

also, pf owns bones, but the version that is in FreeBSD (which pfSense runs) lags behind the version in OpenBSD

you might find installing OpenBSD to be an interesting adventure

also this will probably be of use https://calomel.org

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

oh thanks & weird i thought i did a search on like 6 pages for mandelbrot oh wait it's spelt wrong that's why :xd:

tank u

oh poo poo its el not le. fuckin french vs the mexicans again

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the english language syntax is flawed or nonexistent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its called vendor lock-in

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

computer toucher posted:

ok so if I get a switch and plug the laptop, my modem and my airport all on it I can use pfsense to configure it so that all the traffic goes from modem to pfsense and then to airport (and back ofc)? how much loving about would that be and does the switch need to have some features that I need to look for?

see i don't have a very strong cj background so this is a seriousquestion.

It wouldn't be hard to do this and you could use a dumb switch for it. IF you trust your network. If you want it to be secure then you would have to fux with vlans and make sure the switch enforced those measure.

like you can just set up dhcp on the pfsense and that will set up everything on the lan to go to there, and disable dhcp on the modem / airport and set up those 2 and pfsense with static ips, set the pfsense's wan etc.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ok so I dont normally use excel and cant figure out how to convert a column of unix timestmaps into some kind of normal time, please halp

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Valeyard posted:

ok so I dont normally use excel and cant figure out how to convert a column of unix timestmaps into some kind of normal time, please halp

http://www.berezniker.com/content/pages/office/excel-convert-unix-time-excel-time

it's the first google result so it's larry and sergey approved

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hmm I did see this result, but..I mean how do i apply it to a range of cells, A69 to A219 for example

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Valeyard posted:

hmm I did see this result, but..I mean how do i apply it to a range of cells, A69 to A219 for example

do it in a new column and drag down to spread the formula and have excel update the field automatically

is this not what your goal is or have you never used excel because this is like kindergarden level excel

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

do it in a new column and drag down to spread the formula and have excel update the field automatically

is this not what your goal is or have you never used excel because this is like kindergarden level excel

is CELL an excel function that self references?

it doesnt seem to work that way

when I swap it out for an actual cell number, and then try to replicate it by dragging, it doesnt work and flakes out

i have got through life having dodged using excel very much thus far

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Valeyard posted:

when I swap it out for an actual cell number, and then try to replicate it by dragging, it doesnt work and flakes out

no CELL is what you put A69 into

e.g.

=A69/(60*60*24)+"1/1/1970"

then you drag it down with the "fill handle" (dark "plus-sign" shaped cursor): http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/867-excel-apply-formula-to-entire-column-row.html

and when you drag it down, it updates A69 to A70, A71, etc and your new column should be full of human dates

which step in the process isn't working for you?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

lol

make a new column B
in "cell" B69, put in the characters =A69/(86400)+"1/1/1970"
drag that down from "cell" B69 all the way down to B219 and it should copy that formula into each cell, autopopulating the "cell" in the formula from A69 to A70-A219

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is there a mouse like the magic mouse that is super duper awesome on PC? I assume the magic mouse is poo poo w/r/t right click vs. left click, so the magic mouse is probs poo poo on non-mac products??? is there a Good mouse for a internet computer man like myself. i will probably use it for coding and all that poo poo, i dont really play games anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
magic mouse is great if you want carpal tunnel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

magic mouse is great if you want carpal tunnel

i am a huge mac fan and i cant stand the magic mouse

the tragic macpad however is utterly amazing and i use it over any mouse at all at home

unfortunately it doesnt exist for windows, and the OS doesnt suit it anyway

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

If I want to make some nice looking technical training docs is it worth using indesign (I have a CC sub)? does MS Publisher suck horribly?

use indesign, i've seen microsoft distribute collateral about publisher but made in indesign

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sniep posted:

i am a huge mac fan and i cant stand the magic mouse

the tragic macpad however is utterly amazing and i use it over any mouse at all at home

unfortunately it doesnt exist for windows, and the OS doesnt suit it anyway

i dont like the magic trackpad. i had it 2 jobs ago and it made my hand cramp up

my labtop's trackpad thing supports 2 finger scrolling which is pretty rad, but i just plug in a regular mouse all the time so i never even use it

now that i think about it, is there any benefit of magical trackpads over a mouse + mousewheel?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

obstipator posted:

i dont like the magic trackpad. i had it 2 jobs ago and it made my hand cramp up

my labtop's trackpad thing supports 2 finger scrolling which is pretty rad, but i just plug in a regular mouse all the time so i never even use it

now that i think about it, is there any benefit of magical trackpads over a mouse + mousewheel?

all the osx poo poo

multitouch

navigating your multiple desktops, apps, everything

i guess if you require a lot of precision pointing then of course not it's not the best for you

but as a UI tool its fantastic

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

obstipator posted:

get a logitech mouse. they are nice, not too dear, good for big hands. like a G600 or something

also lol if u use a trackpad of any kind by choice O_o

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

also lol if u use a trackpad of any kind by choice O_o

sigh

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

some pc only users just wont even try to learn , it's okay, you just have to write them off as lost

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

some pc only users just wont even try to learn , it's okay, you just have to write them off as lost

i cant help but believe they can all be saved :)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

to reject him when he came bearing powerpc is one thing but its another in tyool 2014 at the height of his power

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
can't wait for apple to discover trackballs so all the apple fans can poo poo themselves over how amazing trackballs are. lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im driving to yr house to kick ur rear end fyi

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

anthonypants posted:

can't wait for apple to discover trackballs so all the apple fans can poo poo themselves over how amazing trackballs are. lol

just wait till they find out they can put 2 buttons on a mouse!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

im driving to yr house to kick ur rear end fyi

/
               /

holy poo poo somebody call the police

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
i actually find the magic mouse easy to use, but far prefer the tragic jackpad.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

macpad owns, pc pads suxxx!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

theadder posted:

to reject him when he came bearing powerpc is one thing but its another in tyool 2014 at the height of his power

lol if you think powerpc to intel is more than a very minor part of apple's recent success

also lol if you only started liking apple in 2006

did valeyard ever get his "baby's first excel workbook" problem sorted out?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol if you think powerpc to intel is more than a very minor part of apple's recent success

thats not what it says :greenangel:

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

theadder posted:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

so i have a domain, and i want to get a cheap vps so i can put up random poo poo. I dont want to run a game server or anything and i dont expect much traffic. and i dont need to torrent with it.

would it be all good to get something like this?

https://portal.catalysthost.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0 KVM in Dallas, 1 CPU | 512mb | 20gg | 3TB bw | 1 IPv4 | 12 IPv6 | $30/year

or this for $10 a year:

https://my.crissic.net/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
2 CPU cores
256MB RAM
256MB vSwap
50GB HDD space
1TB traffic
1Gbps uplink
1x IPv4
16x IPv6
OpenVZ/SolusVM
$10/year

or $5 a year in sydney? might be best bet, cheapest and closest to me
https://secure.ransomit.com.au/console/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0
Sydney, Australia 100 mbit 50 GB 128 MB 2 GB SSD

these are probably all overkill, just wanna run maybe nginx, and some internet facing services behind it. (python app? java app? lovely "blog"?)
is 128mb ram going to be too little?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

also lol if you only started liking apple in 2006

did valeyard ever get his "baby's first excel workbook" problem sorted out?

it did temporarily halt the ongoing decline in mac sales, even though they returned to doing that several years on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobbilljim posted:

is 128mb ram going to be too little?

probably

don't rent a server unless it's generating revenue

put your static files on s3 because it's stupid cheap, and put your dumb apps that nobody will use on heroku because it's free