Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

anthonypants posted:

that is A Thing

thats kinda cool seems like it doesnt jitter as much eaither but idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

thats kinda cool seems like it doesnt jitter as much eaither but idk

rf is crazy

zap! is gettin' a masters in that poo poo and it's mind-boggling

makes me appreciate academic cs, what with its relatively simple bounded semilattices and cap theorem

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Panty Saluter posted:

i recently found that turning one antenna 90 degrees opposed to the other improved throughput by like 10 Mbps on both of our computers. is that A Thing or is it just coincidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_diversity "orthogonal polarisation"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

I wish i had the link, but there was a beamforming demo java thing that let you stick a bunch of antennas around a space and you could change some numbers, and it'd show you the results as a signal heatmap thing
Weird poo poo lobes and things popping out and pointing around

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

basically dipoles radiate in a donut around them so if u put a bunch orthogonal to each other u get good donuts all over the place

ur wifi router antennas are basically dipoles

this is ure rf explained poorly lesson for the day

if u wanna know more from a smart person i recommend http://antenna-theory.com

avoid the link about bitcoin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
so what you're saying is that rabbit ears are back?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
a few times when i picked up and unlocked my iphone, an alert box came up giving me the option to undo typing. although i like how it detected that i typed something by mistake, i'm curious to know what the exact circumstance this occurs. i don't think it's sophisticated enough to know that im making a bad post or so something

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

a few times when i picked up and unlocked my iphone, an alert box came up giving me the option to undo typing. although i like how it detected that i typed something by mistake, i'm curious to know what the exact circumstance this occurs. i don't think it's sophisticated enough to know that im making a bad post or so something

shake to undo typing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whic irl makes you look fuckin spastic

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

we have an accord echopenis

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

prefect posted:

so what you're saying is that rabbit ears are back?

they never really left us, the single set of footprints is them carrying us :angel:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Panty Saluter posted:

they never really left us, the single set of footprints is them carrying us :angel:

i joke, but now i'm going to go home and try turning my wireless router in different directions to see if i can get it to shoot through the bathroom to the bedroom more effectively. i need consistent speed when i'm watching tv in bed :argh:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
it's spergy but I plan on moving across town when I can find a decent house and provided its not 100 years old like this piece of poo poo I'll probably just wire it for ethernet

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

theadder posted:

shake to undo typing

it happens on the messages app i believe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

we have an accord echopenis

we have an odyssey whats your point

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

we have an odyssey whats your point

as in 'we agree'

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

it happens on the messages app i believe

you're holding it wrong :iamafag:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

same except sometimes i pick up my iphone and swipe to unlock the screen and instead of the passcode number pad coming up it loads the background wallpaper with no icons and then locks up and i have to restart the phone

thanks timb

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

since i have it lock after 5 minutes i think this happens right at the 5 minute mark, i.e. if you start swiping before 5 minutes but then as the screen slides over, 5 minutes is up, it locks the phone

good job, apple QA

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

lmbo okay buddy

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

yeah i don't know a ton about computers but this sounds like literal voodoo :iiam:

most video streams are what, a few Mbps? if you can't hit that on 802.11g, let along 2.4GHz 802.11n then i think something else is the problem

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah netflix tops out at 6Mbps for their "Super HD" (lol) quality

my guess is that there's just more congestion in the 2.4ghz bands or op chose a bad channel

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
basically you should only use channels 1, 6, and 11

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

basically you should only use channels 1, 6, and 11

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Channels_and_frequencies posted:

Confusion often arises over the amount of channel separation required between transmitting devices. 802.11b was based on DSSS modulation and utilized a channel bandwidth of 22 MHz, resulting in three "non-overlapping" channels (1, 6, and 11). 802.11g was based on OFDM modulation and utilized a channel bandwidth of 20 MHz. This occasionally leads to the belief that four "non-overlapping" channels (1, 5, 9 and 13) exist under 802.11g, although this is not the case as per 17.4.6.3 Channel Numbering of operating channels of the IEEE Std 802.11 (2012) which states "In a multiple cell network topology, overlapping and/or adjacent cells using different channels can operate simultaneously without interference if the distance between the center frequencies is at least 25 MHz."

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i don't know what this means, my knowledge of computers is limited to google image searching "wifi channel chart"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i don't know what this means, my knowledge of computers is limited to google image searching "wifi channel chart"

i think it means leave it on "auto" and find something else to worry about

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

and give up the sense of control that I, the power user, demand in such a childish fashion? I think not.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i think it means leave it on "auto" and find something else to worry about

phew

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

and give up the sense of control that I, the power user, demand in such a childish fashion? I think not.

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i changed the username/pass for my router than promplty forgoty it so homefiluly my esettings were gouud

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you use 40mhz channels on 2.4 please kill you are self

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

i changed the username/pass for my router than promplty forgoty it so homefiluly my esettings were gouud

if you need back in just hard reset it

if you set up so many special snowflake options that you can't fix them all, you fucrkd up

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

If you use 40mhz channels on 2.4 please kill you are self

40MHz on a repeater :twisted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
is there a manga guide to high availability storage clusters because I am not getting this to work on my own :smith:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

sure as long as it's not "data" you need to store in the "cluster"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:mrgw:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm having trouble laughing at "ayy lmao"

can someone please tell me what this means?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its a bad meme

but i repeat myself

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i'm having trouble laughing at "ayy lmao"

can someone please tell me what this means?

aye, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
so, what is it? i know lmao = laughing my rear end off