Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
curiously i didnt get any of them. strange

all my machines are fine with being blown away and reinstalled at any moment anyways. lmao if you store important things on c: or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

that would probably be because they were patched out before they were weaponized but yeah, if the computer doesn't touch money or work then lol whatever

not every computer is important and different people have different threat profiles, there's no universal security advice beyond 'just don't have a computer'

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
VOIP question: What provider should I get that can provide me a reasonably local (US) number and I can forward to wife and my phones? I don't mind janitoring a little bit but it's been 5 years since I've hosed around with asterisk.

Also what PoE phone should I get that can teach my kids worthless skills like picking up the handset to answer, etc and be able to call grandmas and stuff on speed dial :3:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i use voip.ms and they're quite fine.

you can Hack on Old Cisco Or Polycom poo poo, or you can get a grandstream which are purpose built for simple voip and work great. a little less office-ey

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jenny Agutter posted:

someone in yospos posted that they use a pi-hole blocklist that doesn’t block like shopping links, I haven’t been able to find anything like that on my own, anyone know what it is? doesn’t really make sense to me but I know I saw someone post about it

pihole has a "disable for X seconds" endpoint that you can bookmark and then click when you temporarily need to use a bad domain for something.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

pihole has a "disable for X seconds" endpoint that you can bookmark and then click when you temporarily need to use a bad domain for something.

my wife will never in a million years learn or remember how to do that

I think my best bet is to just put all her devices on the exception list. it sounds like a hack bit but her online shopping is literally the thing preventing me from deploying the pi-hole

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

you can create groups and assign clients to them, then lists can be associated per-group, which is how I resolved a similar issue in our household

that was also handy to whitelist certain telemetry domains for work devices before I tossed them on their own vlan with 1.1.1.3 and called it a day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Alright now that ive got my nice new machine set up and in its final home, lets attack another project.

The goal: Get playlists in apple music on my phone (and thus watch) automatically, or at least on-demand, synced with the contents of a network shared folder.

* yt-dlp leeches everything from a yt playlist to a certain dir
* i want everything in that dir to be added to apple music on my macbook, and added to a certain playlist

am i looking at some applescript here maybe?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Work monitor on Win11 is acting weird. Display looks good but the text "bounces" for a split second and then corrects. Not predictable and most noticable in high-contrast zones like small numbers on spreadsheets and YOSPOS.

My setup is:

Lenovo X1 <-> ThinkPad dock <-> DP cable to ThinkVision LEN P44w-10 running in 3840x1200.

No HDR and I've tried changing the monitor's control panel from DP 1.4 to downgrade to 1.2 (to no effect, in fact it might behave worse). Is this a lovely cable? It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Braided-32-4Gbps-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07VVJZJ2P/ but looking back I think I was trying to alleviate this problem so maybe it's just back?

I tried to capture what's going on with my iPhone but you can't really see anything but moire patterns through the camera.

Hed fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hed posted:

Work monitor on Win11 is acting weird. Display looks good but the text "bounces" for a split second and then corrects. Not predictable and most noticable in high-contrast zones like small numbers on spreadsheets and YOSPOS.

My setup is:

Lenovo X1 <-> ThinkPad dock <-> DP cable to ThinkVision LEN P44w-10 running in 3840x1200.

No HDR and I've tried changing the monitor's control panel from DP 1.4 to downgrade to 1.2 (to no effect, in fact it might behave worse). Is this a lovely cable? It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Braided-32-4Gbps-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07VVJZJ2P/ but looking back I think I was trying to alleviate this problem so maybe it's just back?

I tried to capture what's going on with my iPhone but you can't really see anything but moire patterns through the camera.

on the monitor's settings (that you navigate on the monitor, not in windows) does it show that it's running at the correct resolution? i've run into some issues before where my work pc was sending a 1920x1080 feed but the monitor was detecting it as a lower resolution. the fix was to change the resolution of that monitor in windows, and then change it back to the correct one

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Hed posted:

My setup is:

we've got loads of those P44w-10 monitors at work and had a lot of issues when we first got them, mainly related to USB-C connectivity and power delivery, especially with X1 laptops. these issues were resolved via firmware updates so i recommend you do the same. there's two firmware updates you have to do:

they're a PITA to do but you may as well get them out of the way. with those done i'd recommend you connect the dock via USB-C instead of DP as it has more reliable throughput (or just connect the laptop directly via USB-C which is what i do).

last thing check your configured refresh rate, iirc the monitor can do up to 144Hz but if you set it to anything higher than 100Hz it will drop from 8bpc to 6bpc so for best results just set it to 100Hz.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 11, 2024

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you both. The resolution is correct on the monitor. I can't seem to get the firmware update tool to run (even in admin mode, it doesn't detect the monitor, I'll have to try to bypass the dock later when I have more time). I'm running 1.3 right now.

I did set the refresh rate down from 144 to 100Hz and it seems to be behaving much better. That might have fixed it.

When you say you use USB-C do you really just use USB-C to drive the monitor? I realize I didn't elaborate we use our X1s <-> TB4 dock <-> DP cable <-> P44w-10. I can look at using USB-C over TB4 or going out USB-C to the monitor from the dock, but that will be a mindblown thing based on my understanding of the interfaces. Right now we like what we do since it's 1 Thunderbolt cable to connect for everything when docked.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a few weeks ago when we hit 100% humidity for a few days, 2 of the keys on my keyboard died. theyre cherry black switches but not hotswappable so i bought a couple replacement switches and i just soldered them on there, but theyre still dead. anything else worth trying or should i just call it a loss?

oh also the boards switches had 4 pins and the replacements have 2, but i assume the extra 2 are not electrically needed, does that make sense?

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 29, 2024

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i would think only two of the pins are metal on either, and depressing the switch would close the circuit. use a continuity tester on the old switches to see if they're even broken

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

butt dickus posted:

i would think only two of the pins are metal on either, and depressing the switch would close the circuit. use a continuity tester on the old switches to see if they're even broken

thats a good idea

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fart simpson posted:

thats a good idea

i'm finding a variety of information though a lot of it is fairly unhelpful, this is from the das keyboard site however:

quote:

Housing base: Made from plastic polymer and glass fiber, the housing base mounts Cherry MX switches to either the PCB (printed circuit board) or the plate of the keyboard. In both a PCB-mounted Cherry MX switch, and a Plate-mounted Cherry MX switch the two pins from the gold crosspoint stick out the bottom, the only difference between the two housings is that a PCB-mounted housing base will only have one additional pin (for a total of three pins), and a Plate-mounted housing base will have three additional pins (for a total of five pins).

if you have four pins are you sure that you bought cherry switches and they aren't another brand?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Branch Nvidian posted:

i'm finding a variety of information though a lot of it is fairly unhelpful, this is from the das keyboard site however:

if you have four pins are you sure that you bought cherry switches and they aren't another brand?

yah im sure i did. they look identical other than the pins on the bottom and one says 921 and the other 462 on the bottom. i mean i only bought 4 of them so if theyre wrong its not a big deal

huh... the new ones are the same as the "3-leg" switches here but the ones i removed from the board are the "5-leg" switches but with 2 additional metal pins on the opposite side, which would make them 7 leg? maybe thats important

e: one of these guys

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 29, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just took that switch apart and the extra 2 pins are just a wire. maybe i can solder a wire to bridge those contacts

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fart simpson posted:

a few weeks ago when we hit 100% humidity for a few days, 2 of the keys on my keyboard died. theyre cherry black switches but not hotswappable so i bought a couple replacement switches and i just soldered them on there, but theyre still dead. anything else worth trying or should i just call it a loss?

oh also the boards switches had 4 pins and the replacements have 2, but i assume the extra 2 are not electrically needed, does that make sense?

Get a heat pump, they can dehumidify,

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

assuming everybody in yospos is a homeowner that can do poo poo like this, chapter 372

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

assuming everybody in yospos is a homeowner that can do poo poo like this, chapter 372

you can't like own property man

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

spankmeister posted:

i have one but it couldnt keep up with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzb4d8ykSJM

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Yeah well so can an AC unit

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hifi posted:

Yeah well so can an AC unit

they can't heat!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fart simpson posted:

wow that's wild.

the potato chip lol. also sucks if you have a dumb iot fingerprint lock and you can't enter your house

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

they can't heat!

soembody's never stuck a broomstick in a compressor

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

spankmeister posted:

wow that's wild.

respect for the wiring though, except around that one switch

i'd slam those lights off and never use them again

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

flakeloaf posted:

respect for the wiring though, except around that one switch

i'd slam those lights off and never use them again

it woudl probably be pretty dark inside if that was the case

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i tried my idea of just bridging the contacts for the missing metal pins with a wire and it didnt work. so i took the keyboard to a guy in my neighborhood who fixes electronics and i paid him like $2 to spend a half hour probing everything with a multimeter, he checked out everything i was thinking of checking and like 5x more stuff than that and concluded it was a problem on the pcb that wasnt really feasible to fix. time for a new keyboard i guess. rip

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was neat watching a guy who rly knows what hes doing trying to debug tho. i dont really know what im doing beyond some basics

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

everyone should have a friendly neighborhood electronics toucher

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fart simpson posted:

it was neat watching a guy who rly knows what hes doing trying to debug tho.

oh yeah watching a pro doing your thing is usually fascinating and humbling, like "i do a version of this but it never looks like that"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
those kind of jobs were so common when I was a kid but I think the American economy makes labor cost more than replacement for anything cheaper than like a piano

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Corla Plankun posted:

those kind of jobs were so common when I was a kid but I think the American economy makes labor cost more than replacement for anything cheaper than like a piano

yah he told me if he fixed it he'd charge me like $10 but he couldnt fix it so he said i didnt need to pay him but i insisted to pay something because it took his time and i ended up giving him about $2

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

fart simpson posted:

wait what? maybe I’m missing something, but we get 100% humidity all the time in the good ole US of A and this kind of poo poo doesn’t happen. Even where I live

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

namlosh posted:

wait what? maybe I’m missing something, but we get 100% humidity all the time in the good ole US of A and this kind of poo poo doesn’t happen. Even where I live

it’s not only 100% humidity. it was close to 100% humidity with warm air and then we had some sort of cold front come through suddenly, so all the warm humid air got shocked down to a way lower temperature and the humidity just fell out of the air like dew, but indoors and in literally every place in the province all at once. there was no real escape for like 2-3 days

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk exactly that’s just how someone explained it to me. it was a miserable week lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bet all the mold and algae and moss was like gently caress YEAH though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

I bet all the mold and algae and moss was like gently caress YEAH though.

yeah i went through later and wiped mold off everything in the bathroom especially and sprayed it with bleach. walls, ceilings, medicine cabinet, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

namlosh posted:

it's more like "well over 100% humidity". the air is very humid and carrying a lot of water, and then something changes so that it can't hold that much water any more. that excess water has to go somewhere, and "condensing onto any available surface" is where it goes

when the same thing happens higher up in the atmosphere (where there aren't many surfaces to condense on) it's called "rain"